Need a bike recommendation for my wife

This kind of brings up my own question about my Defy3, urodacus. I always wipe it down with a microfiber rag if I ride through rain, should I be applying WD40 to the frame as well? I noticed the local shop does use some kind of washing fluid when they cleaned it after a quick maintenance.

I have hosed it down with water and dried it with said microfiber rag once. Not sure if that was the best idea after reading your post?

If it’s a painted alloy frame, then only need to wash and dry. An oily coating will not have any additional protection over the paint. Apart from that, the parts are generally good quality alloy and won’t corrode all that quickly if kept dry. Any steel parts such as screws in the brakes, cable clamps, springs in the derailluers, etc will still rust, especially in contact with alloy, and especially if they stay wet for some time, partly due to galvanic corrosion occurring between two different metals in contact, and also just because iron rusts easily, just in humid air.

In almost all cases, chain, cassette rings, brake cables, ferrules, pedal spindles, etc, will rust without some treatment. Unless you have all Ti cassette, etc. I have a full carbon bike with all Ti components with about four steel bolts in the brakes and the bolts are all rusted but nothing else has. Oh, the alloy cups on my Record BB corroded away on the edges after 10 years, but I abuse the bike because I can. Cheaper bikes are not so forgiving.

Actually, after many rides in summer I do hose it down to get rid of the salt from sweat. A sweaty bike is ten times worse, as dried sweat always absorbs water from the air.

Thanks. We’ll pick up something for the chain. I think we have WD40 somewhere.

I see a lot of cyclists wearing a face covering not unlike what outlaws in the old west wore–only more colorful. Are those better than the disposable, carbon pollution masks you can get from the convenience stores?

Not necessarily, it helps block some things, not all. Most cyclists wear it so they don’t get a weird face tan.

Does anyone have any experience with this bike (that was listed above)?

https://mall.pchome.com.tw/prod/QCAA1G-A9007RY63

I am shopping for an electric city bike so I can commute with the kid riding at the back. He’s growing fast and at 26kg is already right at the limit of bicycle child seats and the max load listed at the back of most bikes (20 - 25kg)

At NT$ 18,000 from PChome, the 一EV24S is a lot less expensive than the others I am considering:

The Giant shop near where I live is offering this electric bike for NT$ 32,000 - I thought they originally quoted 15,000 but when I went back a few days later a different salesperson there quoted the higher price

And the nice people at a bike shop near the Yuanshan MRT suggested this HASA bike for almost the same price NT$ 30,000

Please let me know what you think

I’m not one for electric bikes, but if it were me, I would go with Giant as that thing will last forever and you won’t have an issue finding somewhere to help you maintenance it if you aren’t closer to home.

Gave up on buying the Tern? My colleague has one and she says it’s great for bringing her daughter to and from daycare and she also rides it to work.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/dealers/map?&distance[latitude]=25.0329694&distance[longitude]=121.5654177&distance[search_distance]=10&distance[search_units]=km&postal_code=&city=&state=TPE&country=tw

1 Like