Need a Politics Forum

Brought this up once before, and I know it’s been argued back and forth a bit on the open forum, but I thought I’d try once more.

Why don’t we create a Political Issues Forum? The Open Forum has essentially become a political issues forum. I am fairly certain I’m not alone in finding political debate to be mind-numbingly boring. If you are a political junkie, hey, more power to you, but should the Open Forum on a Taiwan-oriented website be dominated by political threads? It should be dominated by Taiwan-oriented threads.

Thanks for reading.

Totally agree. Maybe it could be titled “International Politics.” I used to read those ME/WMD/Iraq threads, but how many pages long are they now? And how far have the protagonists got? Miles and miles is the answer, but the route is a circle, and not a very big one, either. More power to 'em, of course and there’s no doubt they find it interesting, but these subjects deserve their own forum. Hey, we could appoint Tigerman and Rascal as the joint moderators. :wink:

I think I might have suggested something like that once or twice :blush:

Yeah, but now you’ve got the big boys behind you. :wink:

I’ll drink to that.

Yeah, but now you’ve got the big boys behind you. :wink:[/quote]I do ? Who ?

And what poor sod can we get to moderate it ?

I nominate Bassman evil grin :smiling_imp:

I’ll drink to that.[/quote]

Me too. (Drinking and agreeing).

Good idea.

Just keep Taiwan politics in the Culture forum.

Brian

ha ha ha
Something wicked this way comes.

LOL. this is a joke, right?

chou

Great idea.

I support the idea of a politics forums but I would probably not want to volunteer as a moderator though with Tigerman as partner it’s really tempting, at least it would increase the ‘entertainment value’. :wink:

Hey, no hard feelings … ok? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Rascal”]I support the idea of a politics forums but I would probably not want to volunteer as a moderator though with Tigerman as partner it’s really tempting, at least it would increase the ‘entertainment value’. :wink:

Hey, no hard feelings … ok? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I’ll volunteer.

:smiling_imp: :laughing: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

This is the dilemma that has plagued the world since politics was invented.
ie That anyone who would want to moderate a political forum would be totally unsuitable to do so & visa versa.

Idea is great though & would open up the open forum.

A Politics Forum should become a private, members-only forum that those who are interested in should join and therefore it wouldn’t need to be moderated like a public forum. Also, if it were private, only those who give a shit could see it and leave the rest of us to wallow in apathetic peace and quiet.

I second that emotion.

There is more of depth in this doubtless tongue-in-cheek comment than is immediately obvious. I don’t think many people on this forum are truly apathetic about important issues, but they choose their own ways of dealing with stuff and, where possible, trying to help out.

If somebody really doesn’t care about something, it’s very hard to make that person care by continually reminding him or her about issues. Such a turnaround could probably only come as a result of things happening directly to that person. “Leading a horse to water…” comes to mind.

Nonetheless, Forumosa has been remarkably successful so far in being a comparatively highly moderated forum but one where a wide variety of opinions and experiences are discussed. I think I speak for many of the above posters when I say that I hope any changes to be made can be done in an open and fair manner, to avoid possible bad feeling and accusations of bias, censorship or injustice.

I disagree. It should be open for anyone to read.

In fact I think these private forums are pointless unless there’s a reason to keep them secret form others, or it’s for something that would really only interest a small specific group.

Brian

Perhaps you don’t understand private forums, Bulaien. Some are open for whomever want to join them, they just have to apply wait for the mod of the forum to let them in. Others are private entirely and only for those who are invited to join. The Women’s Forum, for example.
A Poli forum could be one of the open, but hidden ones that regular people DON’T need to be subjected to unless they want to…

What I mean about the private forums, is that people who weren’t members wouldn’t see that there was a huge thread about what a great guy George Bush is, in the Politics Forum, so they’d pollute other forums talking about this, creating duplication and annoying people who hoped the politics had all gone away. Also some people probably would liek to look at a few political threads now and then, but not subscribe to a politics forum.

Brian