Need advice on cycling up Wuling

That sounds pretty scary. What would be your estimate for going up from Puli? Maybe I should alter my plans.

Maybe 6-7 from the west…

1 Like

This.
If you are using 80km with 1600m as a yardstick, you are going need a solid 8 hours plus, assuming you just spin your way up without stopping too often.
After Dayuling it is incredibly difficult due to the altitude
The month preceding Wuling, my training was garbage, but before this my regime was about 450km a week with total elevation 1000-2300m/ ride. A short day would be 70km and a long day about 180km. I weigh 53kg. I wouldn’t say I was in peak form by any stretch, but I was fit and used to 6-8 hour rides.
Still, Wuling killed me. The final stretch above Dayuling was hell. I think my undoing was only having a terminal elevation of 1600m on my routes. I don’t do well at altitude.
I think the most important thing is to break the ride down into sections and make a schedule for yourself that places you realistically within your limits.
Maintaining your eating and hydration is crucial as you will lose a lot of water just breathing at higher elevations.
The grades are a cakewalk except for the stretches above Dayuling.

Take whatever @ranlee says to heart . He knows.

Good luck

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I appreciate and welcome it, even though it sounds like I may need to rethink my Wuling goal. One other issue for me is that I honestly don’t enjoy long rides. I love the quick 30 minute Xiding, I love the bit more challenging Xiwan Road, and I love going a bit out of my way to FGW, etc. But after about 2 hours, I’m kind of ready to go home. After about 3 hours, I start to eye taxis that would be willing to take me and my bike home! Hmmmm.

@marasan

There’s really no way to sugar coat Wuling. So, sorry if the below sounds harsh.

Nonetheless, I know what kinds of rides you’re doing and understand your fitness and you got a family and all. So here it is.

Riding with your ultra-marathon friend is a great way to get in shape. Why? Riding with people at the same fitness level as you is more comfortable, however, that gives you a chance to get lazy with your pace. Whereas if you’re with someone stronger, you are pushing your limits and you’re learning where your limits are. You may not have found that out riding with someone at the same level as you. From what I remember, your friend is a good guy, so he won’t fuss that you’re too slow or mind waiting at the top for you.

Keep riding with him.

To be very honest, no single ascent in Taiwan can get you ready for Hualien to Wuling. Training regimes can be prepped, which can help, but nothing really prepares you for the last 15km.

Here’s what I suggest to help prepare.

• Longer rides (can be flat) reaching 100km once or twice over two weeks at a comfortable pace.
  • After you are comfortable in the saddle for 100km, start adding one hill. Then two. Then three if you think you can handle it.
  • Skip the short rides up Xiding or Xiwan (unless you are doing it every day and doing it more than once each time) Short rides aren’t really helpful.
  • When you are on your way home and nearing death from your ride, climb Xi Ding Rd. This will train you for the final 15km
  • One way to enjoy the ride a bit more is to do some subtle upgrades to your bike. Having an upgrade might make you want to go out and ride a bit more. Upgrading to a new group set might be your next step. Shimano 105 is not that expensive and is a nice upgrade from your Claris.

Doesn’t matter about the pace, the route is hard. To get to the peak, you will do 0m to 3275m elevation. From the gate, it’s roughly 85km to the peak. from 0-75km you will have climbed roughly 2000-2200m. Gradient of the hill is low for the first 75km, but you’re still climbing.

I highly highly suggest having a family member meet you at certain points on the route. There’s really only 1 or 2 places in which you can buy things to eat and refill your water. Having a car hauling food and water would be super super helpful. This means you lug less things on your back and thus, lighter going uphill.

The first time I did this route it took me 7h45m with training similar to what you’re doing now. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Second time I (think) I did it in 6h30m. If you take it easy and stop often, I would guestimate 9hrs.

Puli to Wuling (west entrance) is not much easier, but shorter. You climb from around (I think) 500m of elevation to 3200m in shorter distance of 50-60km.

4 Likes

Perfect description.
Also, think about your gearing. Use low enough gears so that you can save your legs for the end.

1 Like

You know that 3 peaks challenge ride every year, that crosses YMS three different ways? Do that twice a weekend for a couple of months and then twice a day for another month, and you should be OK for Wuling. Apart from dealing with the altitude. So add another 3 peaks challenge to prep for that. the top is seriously nasty not just because of the grades, but because of the climb you’ve done before that, and the altitude.

have a bail out plan.

2 Likes

That’s great information, ranlee. Don’t ever worry about being harsh. I know what my strengths and weaknesses are, and this Wuling challenge is definitely playing to one of my biggest weaknesses (mountain climbing). Ultimately, if what you have to say will help me with my sport goals, I’m all ears. The same is true for workouts. That is, I don’t mind getting my butt kicked- I never have- since I know it’ll make me stronger.

I’m going to consider all this over CNY and make a decision.

!

I actually completely forgot about the three peaks route @marasan

This route is what most use as a prep for Puli to Wuling, it’s one route in which you can actually continuously pedal and for 2+ hours straight.

If you need me to show you the route, I would be more than happy.

1 Like

I’d also be curious to know what this route is.

The Taiwan KOM route.

Hualien to He Huan Shan.

Hualien -> Taroko Gorge -> Wuling/He Huan Shan

:ponder:

I think it’s possible bananas meant the three peaks route.

Oops.

Here you go @bananas

https://www.strava.com/segments/6161582?filter=following

Thanks!

Well, I did it. Wuling from the East. What can I say? Never again comes most readily to mind. The first 75k was deceptively easy. I trained well for that. The last 10k was just sheer torture. I walked an embarrassingly large amount of that- probably a solid 4k. I kept getting muscle cramps and when those subsided, my legs just refused to pedal uphill. I hope that still counts as a success.

The weather was perfect, especially for someone who struggles in the heat. It was cool the whole way and I welcomed the cold temps at the top.

I need time to reflect on what I just put myself through. For now, I probably will take a break from cycling for about a month!

The total time was 8 hours and 30 minutes.

11 Likes

Congratulations :tada:

1 Like

Next: the KOM challenge.

1 Like

Good job! that’s a big ride…

1 Like

Congrats @marasan, a great achievement.

And yes, it counts :clap:

1 Like