Need Advice: Planning to follow Taiwanese girl to Taiwan

Could’ve sworn you were me a few years ago. We almost share the same situation. I don’t have a “degree” but a long list of unrecognised qualifications (in Taiwan) based on motor vehicle technology which I accrued in the U.K. . I came here in similar circumstances to you at about the same age. I had the fortune of knowing not one, but many Taiwanese before I came, and I happened to have a Taiwanese girlfriend too, of two years plus at the time to be precise. I came here because of my girlfriend and also because of my Taiwanese friends which I met in the U.K. and had known a few years before coming.
Trying to keep a long story short, firstly, in preparation to my arrival, I took a long shot and did a condensed teaching course, in the hope that it might somehow be useful upon arrival. Taiwan was relatively unknown at the time, but it turned out that there were indeed many employers seeking teachers over here.
I put my professional occupation on hold entirely and pursued teaching for quite some time after arriving.

These days if you are from the U.K. you can get a three month extendible [to six months] landing visa. When I came (about thirteen years ago) I asked my GF to write a letter stating that we were planning to become married and that letter was enough to convince the visa authorities of giving me a year, extendible visa for the first year.

The initial shock I had was not of the general culture, but of living in the home of my girlfriend and her family. They were very conservative in many ways, although not entirely as they were of course playing host to me, a white guy with little or no knowledge of how family life here generally works. I had a lot to learn and a few months later I moved out to my own place. It was after this point that I realised that our relationship was evolving very rapidly, or rather my side was. I discovered so much about myself since arriving that I soon began to take a different approach to our relationship and before too long felt that it wasn’t for me any longer.
Its a funny thing, travel. It can seriously make or brake relationships. Like it or loath it, its a fact. You may or may not have success in your relationship after you arrive. Whatever happens, and whoever changes, know that if it isn’t for the better, then it isn’t anybody’s fault.
I think that my relationship changed, somewhat because of how I started to change my view on life, having found a different perspective, but also because of the Taiwanese family’s expectations of my girlfriend. She had a curfew that she never had when in the U.K. During the first few months of living at the family’s abode, I had one too. I didn’t know why and I never complained directly, but never the less it made a bog difference and was quite a shock. Of course a relationship within the family’s home with a ‘girlfriend’ was difficult to say the least, and I didn’t mind so much when I eventually had to leave to find my own place.
We broke up eventually, but this is not to say that you will too. I believe that if you wish to make the most of things in terms of relationship, then you best not come with any expectations, and don’t assume it will be exactly as it was in your country. I believe that the travel over here was probably for the best, as we got to learn much more about ourselves as we would have otherwise in the U.K.
In terms of visa, from the U.K. the lenghty landing visa is standard now, so sticking around isn’t a problem, assuming of course you have enough funds to fly in and out ever once in a while.
I will say that it is certainly beneficial to have a degree these days though, as illegal teaching, such as I did is increasingly more difficult these days.
Of course if you were married, then the degree is not so important as many legality issues are much more easily resolved, or ignored in this circumstance.

I’ve just got back from a heavy night out, so please forgive me if my wording is messy, or I didn’t fully answer the question.

Needing a degree to work in Taiwan is a complete MYTH. I checked out legal government websites registered by the government of Taiwan and they say you do NOT need a degree to obtain a job in Taiwan. It is one of the many qualifications you can possess to gain employment. Another one is having 5 years work experience in ONE field of work! (no degree neccesary) Another one is to have worked for the same multi-national company for at least one year (again no degree required) Am I missing something? Or has no one here ever read this information?

When I wrote this… [quote=“Jaboney”] Unless you’ve got some particular skill/angle that sets you apart --it’s unlikely you’d find any work. I don’t know, maybe as a novelty act you could make do sketching portraits and caricatures on tourist strips.[/quote]…I was thinking of something like this:

[quote=“TUAW: Sitting for a portrait with FaceTime on iPhone 4”]
So, you’re tired of your Twitter avatar, the photo of your face that you took in Photo Booth. Maybe a nice portrait would be in order…

David Lanham, who is probably best known for his work with Iconfactory (he designed Ollie, the Twitteriffic bluebird), is an accomplished artist whose body of work using electronic media and traditional art media is whimsical, thought-provoking, and beautiful. I’ve used one of his vector drawings (Game Hunter) as my desktop wallpaper on my iMac, and it never ceases to make me smile when I look at it.

Lanham recently broke his foot, which forced him to hang around his house. A friend of his volunteered for a portrait, with the traditional “sitting” being done over a FaceTime call. He decided to make a few bucks while immobile, so he’s been picking up FaceTime portrait work at $50 a pop. Once the portrait is complete, you can use it as your online avatar, and perhaps even order a giclée print for your study.

According to a developer who is currently working with Lanham, the artist’s inbox is now jam-packed with requests for these cool drawings, so don’t expect him to respond immediately if you’re in the market for a FaceTime portrait.[/quote]
Say you were to do something like this, on one of the tourist strips, live with an iPad or some such…make a show of the production… I could see the locals lining up to fork over their money like you’d just opened the next Mister Donut, or Cold Stone Creamery, or some such. Would it last? Maybe long enough to start making a name for yourself locally. Might bring in enough to pay the rent for a few months. That’s the best idea I can come up with, and I certainly wouldn’t bet the bank and my airfare home on it.

My :2cents:

The problem is legality. If the OP is caught doing portraits in a touristy place, he will not have any basis for his residence and work, legally. Unless I am not aware of it, Taiwan does not give visas for the self-employed to be self-reliant (and if they do I absolutely want to know how to get one; that was always an enormous problem for me).

Yes, there are always ways to get by financially in Taiwan no matter whether you have a degree or a visa or not. Taiwanese culture at its heart is a practical one: supply and demand. But the government does not take that sort of view. The OP needs a basis for his residence in TW, which means a job or a marriage. And based on my own experiences and those of others, while I am by no means saying that the relationship will necessarily break up, i believe the OP would be better off to find some way of staying in TW that did not rely on marriage, at least at the beginning.

You’re right.
An invite from one of the artistic communities might do the trick, for a bit.

What a load of bollocks… LLARY ( still a young lad at 27 who came here on an investor visa several years ago ) and I both came here with no degree… so have many well known expats here who do quite well in their lives here, with no degree.

The man has skills, and a brain with some intelligence no doubt… if he gets married he can work legally and I am sure he will do well in the long term here.

Being patronizing doesnt help. :no-no: :no-no:

I left a secure life long tenured public service job to come here with no Chinese language skills yet started a business here. Llary did the same he came with a business background. Won’t hurt the OP to see the other side of the world and experience a whole new way of life.

I know many people here doing very well for themselves cause they get off their arse, work hard and are prepared to go against the grain of things. Nothing says the OP cannot find success here. If his gf cannot find work in the UK then a bit of living here would not be a bad thing.

[quote=“ironlady”]The problem is legality. If the OP is caught doing portraits in a touristy place, he will not have any basis for his residence and work, legally. Unless I am not aware of it, Taiwan does not give visas for the self-employed to be self-reliant (and if they do I absolutely want to know how to get one; that was always an enormous problem for me).

Yes, there are always ways to get by financially in Taiwan no matter whether you have a degree or a visa or not. Taiwanese culture at its heart is a practical one: supply and demand. But the government does not take that sort of view. The OP needs a basis for his residence in TW, which means a job or a marriage. And based on my own experiences and those of others, while I am by no means saying that the relationship will necessarily break up, I believe the OP would be better off to find some way of staying in TW that did not rely on marriage, at least at the beginning.[/quote]

There is a little known Performance Permit that allows foreign artists/musicians to legally perform in Taiwan (contact the Ministry of Education: english.moe.gov.tw/mp.asp?mp=1). It has to be sponsored by some kind of government or arts agency but there are any number of those who would love to work with a foreigner coming here on his own dime. Taipei City also has a separate Street Performer permit which allows street artists to work in designated spots.

I still think that the OP’s best shot is to study Chinese for a few months. He will make a bunch of friends, learn enough Chinese to get by and feel his way around Taiwan without making a huge work or financial commitment. Doing some artwork on the side is not going to get him into any trouble. And I’m sure the relationship with his gf will turn out much better if he’s not beholden to her for a job/visa/place to stay.

Wow thanks for all of these replys, I really appreciate it.

@Bao_Lisha thanks for that post :slight_smile: and I will try and chill out and lighten up, I’m a bit of a worrier :blush:

@elburro true, and a very good point, It would definitely work in her favour in terms of international design firms here in the UK, I guess it’s a case of me worrying to much again heh.

@tommy525 thanks for the advice and the welcome - I’ll look into that website :thumbsup:

@idunno I completely know what you’re saying and I can imagine networking is key to being successfully in Taiwan, but it’s still a rather daunting prospect of starting up a new life in a completely different part of the world, you make it sound quite easy :laughing: , as for learning chinese my gf has taught me a good lot already, :bow: though yeah, it’s really very minimal

@tomthorne thanks alot for the advice I’ll have a look

@llary REALLY appreciate your input, it’s given me alot of hope and will make me sleep easier, so thanks! As for studying it’s definitely something I’d do and would consider it, I’d hate to be a loner and stuck to my gf 24/7 so it’s a great suggestion, and I agree about not getting married, I know alot of people have suggested it in this thread, and it would make things alot easier, but if I can manage in Taiwan without- I’d prefer it. and yeah, living together in Taiwan will be a completely different situation and who’s to know how it would effect our relationship, though honestly I can’t see it changing much, but who knows.
Also I’d be happy to do any kid of designs for you :wink: :sunglasses: :lick:

@dargus, Thanks I will look into that, though I’m more of a illustration/design geek

@smellybumlove, Nice name lol :smiley: , you’re the only person out of many that I’ve read about whilst lurking this forum with a negative experience on migrating to Taiwan. Maybe your gf is just a bitch? hahah I’m joking - Taiwan can’t be half as a bad as this scum hole, I hate this country! why do you prefer the UK?

@aleegulotty, Believe me I’ve done alot of research, very glad it worked out for you guys, glad for you :slight_smile: I don’t want to think that far ahead yet though

@ sulavaca,, Thanks for the post, it was quite weird reading as you wrote it with such an upbeat tone but the story is quite depressing :doh: haha, as I posted to llary, I appreciate this could be an issue in terms of potential strains it could put on our relationship but I’m willing to take the risk really and we love each other so much I can’t imagine that things would fall apart so easily. What do you do for work now out of interest?

@freethinker83, nice to know! would love a link to that as this has been my main concern!

@Jaboney, That is a really cool Idea, I’ve been wanting to do a similar thing here in the UK, but more geared towards putting people into magical scenes I have created, beauty touchups, giving people wings etc etc setup with a laptop and small canvas printer - I think it would sell.

@Satellite TV, cheers for the kind words, it’s great to hear another success story from someone who doesn’t have a pesky degree :discodance:

as for parents babying their daughters up until their 30’s, this is completely true!! It’s crazy to me, I know my GF is 29, but it really doesn’t seem like that, not only does she look younger than me even though I’m 6 years younger, her mentality is younger than mine in ways, in terms of her relationship with her parents, and wanting to please them, and also financial dependency…
I mean I left home at 17 and was living in a bedsit doing my own thing and paying my own way, my gf just couldn’t believe it, she said most sons and daughters leave home at 30+ :astonished:

Daughters are booted out at 30 but sons remain at home in most instances ! They marry a wife INTO the family. The daughters go OUT to another family.

Mate, I dunno what families you know, but I know loads of women in their thirties that are unmarried and still live at home with mommy and daddy. My neighbour’s daughter is in her forties and still lives at home!

Mate, I dunno what families you know, but I know loads of women in their thirties that are unmarried and still live at home with mommy and daddy. My neighbour’s daughter is in her forties and still lives at home![/quote]

She cute? Maybe I can help her escape ? :slight_smile: OH wAIT ,40S? I thought you meant 30s :stuck_out_tongue:

Mate, I dunno what families you know, but I know loads of women in their thirties that are unmarried and still live at home with mommy and daddy. My neighbour’s daughter is in her forties and still lives at home![/quote]

She cute? Maybe I can help her escape ? :slight_smile: OH wAIT ,40S? I thought you meant 30s :p[/quote]
If she was cute, do you honestly think she’d still be single in her forties living with mommy and daddy? Someone would’ve followed her to Taiwan long ago and inundated us with queries on this thread by now.

Hey there are a lot of sweet and cute girls hiding at home because of one or more of the following:

1. they operate in a very close circle (work at dads business for example) and meet very few outside of this circle.

2. they are shy and do not go out to cafes, restaurants, pubs and other places where they could come in contact with new people.

3. their parents have been very over-bearing and too protective of them in their students days and forbid them to date and insisted they came straight home after school, even sending little/older brother out to fetch them.

4. they have ridiculous standards for a mate.

thus a lot of otherwise marriageable girls end up spinsters at home. Not enterprising enough to “get out there” or unable to.