Need an Open Work Permit if Possessing an APRC?

FYI: I just came across this. Not saying they are right or wrong.

1 Like

If you are a spouse/child of an ROC national: Yes! As per Article 51 of the Employment Service Act, you still need to apply for an open work permit because it says everyone with permanent residence needs to apply for one.

They are wrong, because spouses are exempted from work permit by Article 48 of the same law and Article 9-1 of its enforcement rules.

3 Likes

Also some news about recent changes which will go into effect some time in October(?): https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=F0746484B877D582&s=E6C946A9FB4F8DF7

Exempting from applying for work permit

§7 Foreign professionals and their dependent relatives are exempted from applying for work permits once they have gained permanent residency.

Previously, those approved for permanent residency needed to apply with the Ministry of Labor for a work permit; in the future, that will no longer be necessary.

3 Likes

I hope they revisit the law and make it more clear.
Instead of making many exceptions all over the place.
Now it is easier to say everyone on APRC does not need a work permit.

There may be few foreigners on APRC not spouses, dependents nor foreign professionals, by 5 year residency and assets.

So, you get stopped and are asked to show your APRC and your open work-permit. You don’t have an OWP because you’re the spouse of a Taiwanese citizen and you couldn’t be arsed to waste a little time to get it.

PROVE THAT YOU’RE MARRIED, RIGHT THERE ON THE SPOT!

1. The APRC doesn’t indicate marital status.
  2. Do you carry a current HHR print out showing your marital status?
  3. Do you carry your wife’s ID card which indicates your name as her spouse?
  4. Do you keep your wife in your back pocket to show that you’re married.

The easiest, simplest way of keeping “the man” off your ass is to get the Open Work Permit just in case. It’s better to have it and not ever need to show it than to need it and have to waste a shitload of time trying to prove your marital status from some over enthusiastic copper.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be the first time the future arrived and some people didn’t notice. :cactus:

1 Like

yes, it is convenient, but not legally mandated.

2 Likes

is it now confirmed that the changes have been implemented?

1 Like

Good question. From what I have read in this thread, I’ll probably apply for an open work permit anyway when I hopefully get my APRC later this year.

1 Like

Anyone with an APRC applied for an OWP recently?

According to the below post, some APRCs now come with red writing saying “the holder doesn’t need a work permit”.

This depends on which type of APRC you have