Need deliverable gift ideas

I just found out that I have to be out of the country for much of January, including on my wife’s b-day. We live in Taichung and I’ve only been here since September, so I don’t know the town that well yet.

Does anyone have a cool idea for a gift that I can have delivered to her on her birthday? Flowers and chocolate are last resort ideas, not cool ideas, if that helps.

My wife is Taiwanese, if that helps.

You have to know a person to know what to get them. The more personal a gift, the better, right?

The great thing about shopping in Taiwan is pretty much anything can be delivered if you ask. Can you speak Chinese? Or do you have someone to help you? You could go to say a jeweler (if your wife likes jewelry) and arrange them to courier the gift/deliver it on one of the staff’s scooters on the day you want it delivered. Or you could arrange a nice little cake at a cake store, and ask them to deliver it along with another gift and a letter/card from yourself.

Edited: Because I was being a silly sod… :blush:

Sorry, you’re wrong. It is related to a business opportunity. This won’t be the first time that work has gotten in the way of our relationship, so…

She’s been remarkably understanding through over a decade of marriage, I’m probably closer to deserving the “heartless …” moniker.

I just want to surprise her with something on her birthday while I’m away. You’ve read too much into my post.

Ditto my previous sentence.

The root of the problem is my wife’s birthday. I don’t want to “solve” that! :wink:

Yep. Having some ideas to consider, however, would help me select an appropriate gift. This is more of a brainstorm request than a consultation. Just interested in what others have done, would do, or would want in similar circumstances.

Thanks for the tip! I could get the idea across with my limited Chinese, but will likely recruit my sister-in-law’s help.

Sorry, you’re wrong. It is related to a business opportunity. This won’t be the first time that work has gotten in the way of our relationship, so…

She’s been remarkably understanding through over a decade of marriage, I’m probably closer to deserving the “heartless …” moniker.

I just want to surprise her with something on her birthday while I’m away. You’ve read too much into my post.

Ditto my previous sentence.

The root of the problem is my wife’s birthday. I don’t want to “solve” that! :wink:[/quote]

My humblest apologies, my good man. Actually it’s me who deserves the “heartless” monniker…

I misinterpreted your post as I was slightly inebriated at the time of reading. So once again, my most heartfelt apology…

Now to make up for it and actually post something useful…

You get these nice silver and gold necklaces with a round tubular pendant. The idea is that you can write something sincere, loving or sweet on a pice of paper and insert it into the tubular pendant. It screws closed and actually looks very pretty.
That way she can have something nice you wrote and and wear it around her neck, close to her. If she ever feels the need to be reminded of your love, she can unscrew it and ponder over the " love message in the tube."
Nice, simple and romantic.

Sorry for being an ass… Hope this is more helpful. :blush:

[quote=“bismarck”]You get these nice silver and gold necklaces with a round tubular pendant. The idea is that you can write something sincere, loving or sweet on a pice of paper and insert it into the tubular pendant. It screws closed and actually looks very pretty.
That way she can have something nice you wrote and and wear it around her neck, close to her. If she ever feels the need to be reminded of your love, she can unscrew it and ponder over the " love message in the tube."
Nice, simple and romantic.[/quote]

Cool idea, thanks!

As a chick, I have to say that is a superbly romantic idea.
ESPECIALLY since you will be away!