Need "foreigner bike" or a loaner (will pay)

I am looking to purchase a “foreigner bike”–one registered to a long departed foreigner. Anyone have one for sale or know where I can buy one? Looking for a motorcycle, not a scooter. Something 125-200cc.

I’d also be willing to throw some money to anyone willing to register a bike for me and let me ride it; legally it will be your bike, but we will consider it mine through a gentleman’s agreement. My reason for seeking this arrangement is straightforward: I am arriving in Taipei on 6/20 and am in the process of setting up a foreign resident office for my small company (to get my ARC), but might not have the ARC for some time due the the bureaucratic hoops I have to jump through. This will save me a giant pain in the ass of not having a bike and I’d rather make a new friend and give them some money for helping me out than rent a bike at ridiculous rates. I promise to pay tickets on time, etc and will leave you a deposit to take care of any concerns you may have here regarding parking tix. Once I get the ARC I can transfer it back to my name.

I am also an attorney skilled in international law and commercial issues as well as an internet entrepreneur, anyone willing to help me will gain a powerful ally and I will definitely owe you one :sunglasses:

Do not promote illegal activities. policy.forumosa.com/illegal-activities/

As your post is locked, I couldn’t comment on it. To those who are wondering what I’m commenting on, some guy wanted someone to register a vehicle
in their name, but “agree” it belongs to the some guy. I’m going to assume that you don’t have an international drivers license, and you can’t get a Taiwanese
drivers license without your ARC which you stated you’re waiting for and is why you need someone to register a vehicle for you. I was going to ask you, do
you have any idea how much the fine is for riding without a drivers license? In case you don’t know, for a small motorcycle/scooter, it’s 6,000NT for the
driver and if you are not the owner of the vehicle, it’s another 6,000NT for the owner. As for the mod who locked the thread, it would have been nice if you
had also mentioned that, so other people on the forums who read the post wouldn’t message the original poster of that thread in-case they were willing to do
that.

As for scooter rentals, they are really not that much, check this place out if you’re going to be in Taipei - bikefarm.net/
It’s just 2,600NT a month for a minimum 3 month rental. Is that really too much for a scooter? I know you want a motorcycle, but in Taipei a scooter is
a lot more convenient, comfortable and less taxing on the nerves than a motorcycle. You’d always be shifting and never be able to open it up to the top
gear in most places you’d want to go.

Not sure if how I’m posting is “Against the rules”, but more had to be said than “Don’t make posts about illegal activities”.

If he has no local nor international driver license he won’t be able to rent any vehicle in Taiwan. Just sayin’.

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note: Thanks for your feedback and explanation as to why the OP’s request is both against the law in Taiwan AND potentially troublesome for anyone who may take him/her up on this offer.[/color]

[quote=“johnledoe”]As your post is locked, I couldn’t comment on it. To those who are wondering what I’m commenting on, some guy wanted someone to register a vehicle
in their name, but “agree” it belongs to the some guy. I’m going to assume that you don’t have an international drivers license, and you can’t get a Taiwanese
drivers license without your ARC which you stated you’re waiting for and is why you need someone to register a vehicle for you. I was going to ask you, do
you have any idea how much the fine is for riding without a drivers license? In case you don’t know, for a small motorcycle/scooter, it’s 6,000NT for the
driver and if you are not the owner of the vehicle, it’s another 6,000NT for the owner. As for the mod who locked the thread, it would have been nice if you
had also mentioned that, so other people on the forums who read the post wouldn’t message the original poster of that thread in-case they were willing to do
that.

As for scooter rentals, they are really not that much, check this place out if you’re going to be in Taipei - bikefarm.net/
It’s just 2,600NT a month for a minimum 3 month rental. Is that really too much for a scooter? I know you want a motorcycle, but in Taipei a scooter is
a lot more convenient, comfortable and less taxing on the nerves than a motorcycle. You’d always be shifting and never be able to open it up to the top
gear in most places you’d want to go.

Not sure if how I’m posting is “Against the rules”, but more had to be said than “Don’t make posts about illegal activities”.[/quote]

Never been asked for a license renting scooters here in Tainan, just an ARC.

(Not that I’m promoting riding without a license, since its illegal, but I’d say its less potentially problematic than the OP’s scheme.)

Many places will rent to you with a International Drivers Permit (for a car): Tainan, Chiayi, Jiaoxi, Kaohsiung, Nanzhuang, Hualien. On the outer islands no license of any sort is needed.

However, if the OP is going to be in Taipei he doesn’t need a scooter or car. Public transport and taxis are more than sufficient.

Guys, I believe that, apart from being illegal, renting a vehicle with no license (or just an ARC) nullifies the insurance, so that, in case of an accident, you will have to pay damages out of your pocket.

Hmm, the times I’ve been to Penghu (the last time was in February) I needed to show a license. Maybe it was just the shops I went to?

I’d assume the default coverage would be legal minimum in any case, though I don’t know that for an absolute fact.

I’d assume the default coverage would be legal minimum in any case, though I don’t know that for an absolute fact.[/quote]

My information is that the insurance company will pay as usual, but then they would be able to sue you to get that money back on the grounds that you had no right to be behind the wheel/riding the motorbike.