Need FREE webspace

No frills webspace needed so that I can store and link some documents or pictures.
Please don’t point me to lists or search results, direct links and personal recommendations preferred.

Thank you!

Hi Rascal!

The short answer is: geocities.com

Long answer depends on (a) are you ok with pop-up ads (b) do you want your own domain name (b) do you plan to upload just a few files at a time, or in bulk, in which case FTP is a much better alternative to clunky HTML form-based uploading.

Geocities is owned by Yahoo, so if you have a Yahoo account, your website just becomes www.geocities.com/your_account, up to 5M for free. The down side is that if you don’t have a Yahoo account yet, all the good names are taken already. Also you can only upload 5 files at a time. Other free web-mail providers like Hotmail and Netscape have similar deals I believe.

I researched cheap domain hosting options a while back, and I found that doteasy.com is as cheap as they come, you only pay about $20 for the domain name and the rest is free. No pop-ups, the catch is they send you junk mail instead.

I’ll let others chime in …

[quote=“mangalica”]Hi Rascal!

The short answer is: geocities.com[/quote]
I like Geocities, and also Tripod, but you can’t display images hosted on your Geocities/Tripod site on other sites; for example I can’t embed an address here and display an image from my site. (At least this goes for the free versions - don’t know how it works if you pay for a premium service.)

Ok, will give it a try at geocities, don’t need a domain. Thanks. :slight_smile:

BTW: I heard you can display images by renaming them to e.g. *.txt and then link them with the IMG function …

Hey I think that if you have Chunghua Telecom Adsl they will give you some free server space like 30 MB. Can anyone confirm this?

Hans

Can someone post a definitive answer about this? I’ve generally had no trouble linking to GIF and JPG images stored on geocities. However, my avatar, after specifying an off-site URL, is not showing up, I wonder if it’s the issue described above. The avatar does show up in my profile, but not in my posts.

thx

Can someone post a definitive answer about this? I’ve generally had no trouble linking to GIF and JPG images stored on geocities. However, my avatar, after specifying an off-site URL, is not showing up, I wonder if it’s the issue described above. The avatar does show up in my profile, but not in my posts.

thx[/quote]It is completely true, you can’t link to .gif or .jpg on geocities, but you can if you rename them to .txt and link to that.
The reason your avatar isn’t showing up is because you haven’t bought the right to have one yet. Go to ‘Shops’ in the bottom left of this page, then “Guanxi F/X Shop” there you can activate your avatar

Sorry, the others are not as good as Prohosting.
http://www.prohosting.com

No ads, lots of space.