Need help fast regarding COVID

I’m part-time. I don’t have that power.

No, it’s my test. And that’s all I have prepped for tomorrow. It’s not an English class. I can’t just pull shit out of my ass at the last moment.

A conversation class about content?

“Hello class. This is your teacher Jimi. I am really sorry to say that my wife got COVID. I want to make sure you will all be healthy and OK, that’s why I can’t come and give you the test today. We’ll do it as soon as I am able to get back. Now I hope you have a good Thursday. Good luck with your other classes! I’ll write to you soon to let you know my situation. See you soon.”

Guy

3 Likes

You’ll be OK. Nobody will blame you for what happens tomorrow. Just run the class online and do your best.

2 Likes

Yes, just tell the students what is going on. They will completely understand—I’ve found they are really good this way.

Guy

3 Likes

They love online classes.

2 Likes

Maybe; or maybe not. My point is simpler: they will rally behind their poor teacher as he goes through this unhappy process. Just square up with them and let them know what is going on.

Guy

2 Likes

I don’t think they’ll give a toss either way. Presley will be fine. He just has to do his best given the circumstances.

3 Likes

Tape the test on the wall and tell them to write answers down on paper, grading when you get back. then you dont need to hand out test papers. Open book testing should be the easiest to do online, no? They could even just email you the answers assuming it’s all in writing and doesnt need drawing.

I thought this was going to be about an emergency :innocent:

Well, it was about my wife.
Got sidetracked to teaching.
And don’t you dare tell me what an emergency is.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she gets a mild case.

Not much can be done. Do you have an air purifier? Turn it on 24/7. Clean and disinfect and try to keep your home as ventilated as possible.

Regarding tomorrow, my recommendation is to put the ball in the students’ court:

Review the test content with them. Tell them students to prepare “unit summaries”, meaning each one/in groups has to summarize a part of what they have studied, then put it together.

Cyber hugs.

5 Likes

It’ll be back to front.

She’s strong. Never smoked, drank or taken drugs in her life. Eats a lot of fruit and healthy food. She’ll be okay. I’m the one who’s going to end up on a slab. :neutral_face:

Test review in small groups. Or discussion in small groups. 30 minutes in small groups then come back to large group. Repeat as necessary or dismiss early.

Gotcha, that’s what I thought it was about, a human emergency. Glad she’s ok. work is easier :slight_smile: No dares, no telling, just glad.

1 Like

Ah, fuck it. I got the COVID. Here’s me:

3 Likes

How are you finding it so far? Hopefully it’s tolerable?

1 Like

Really bad coughing and sore throat, but surprisingly, no fever.

2 Likes

I’m on Day 3 and keep looking at the bars on my window :wall:

3 Likes

I didn’t have a fever either. No cough, bad sore throat. You get telemedicine or anything? I guess if you have a cough you should.

1 Like