Need help from the snake experts!

So I caught a baby rat snake in my kitchen the other day and an thinking of raising it to full 2.5m size. Not too sure if I should bother though as the little bugger lunges at anything that comes close to his box. His mouth is all red so it isn’t for show! I have read that this aggression is common at first and have also seen pictures of docile rat snake monsters. So snake experts, should I try it? Will it be worth it?

Also, what should I be feeding the little bugger. There is a toad in the box right now but they seem to be good friends at this point, and I tried a slug and a worm. No luck in two days for feeding it. I am giving myself another couple days and if it still doesn’t want to eat I will let it go.

(Yes, I am sure it is a rat snake(nan se), I have raised snakes before and I am pretty sure this one is fresh out of the egg. A huge one was spotted in the neighborhood a month or so ago)

Try warm blooded animals like mice for your little friend. They’re called rat snakes for good reason.

if you can stand the smell, get a breeding pair of mice from a petshop so you have a constant supply.

Well, once you’ve established that the snake will actually eat mice… it may prefer smaller things like small frogs and lizards while a baby.

1 Like

Mice birds or snakes. The toads may or may not be too poisonous.

Which species? I used breed lots back home as well but had to give up the collection when moved here.

You still keeping any?