NEED HELP! Getting ID/work permit banšŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

Let me start off by saying this is a really complicated situation. I always end up on here for answers when it comes to updates taiwan laws. So I figured Iā€™ll try on here.

Key notes:
I am a American born in California, African American father; Taiwanese mom (mom born in Taiwan but only a NWOHR but hasnā€™t been here since she was 3) I know, She technically has ID by birth.

I am a NWOHR (got it after I moved here for work), however when I first moved to Taiwan I was just a foreigner to work. I initially came on the 90 day entry on my American passport, and kept pushing my job to get a work permit. (They kept saying they will get it handled).

Fast forward one year later, I now have a work permit ban. I love Taiwan and really want to continue working here and also been with my Taiwanese girlfriend since Iā€™ve been here.

Most peoplesā€™ advice is to get my taiwan ID and the work permit ban wonā€™t matter since Iā€™m not considered a Taiwan citizen through lineage, but itā€™s really really difficult considering immigration told me that my mom will have to come to Taiwan to reapply for household registration (my grandfathers is way too old for them to verify and even if it wasnā€™t, heā€™d have to come back here as well to deactivate that address). Right now financially AND the coronavirus makes that part feel almost impossible to happen.

So now Iā€™m trying to figure out if I get married to my girlfriend, would that then make me a citizen? Or that would just be a jfrv. But i feel like Iā€™m not able to get a jfrv considering Iā€™m a ā€œnationalā€ā€¦ this is where Iā€™m confused

If anyone else has any ideas or advice youā€™re welcome to also chime in!! Need as much help as possible.

1 Like

Reactivate**

I thought it would just be JFRV or something.

I donā€™t really understand the whole NWOHR thing. I thought you just had to be in Taiwan for a set period to get your ID number.

Well certain visas and laws are for foreigners and certain ones are for ā€œnationalsā€. And the way taiwan has their laws set up, Iā€™m basically in the middle because Iā€™m a national with household registration. So Iā€™m not sure what I qualify for visa wise if my family isnā€™t able to come here for the household registration part. I just know thereā€™s visas out there that exempt you from having to get work permits OR I can get my ID some howā€¦ whichever one worksā€¦

if your spouse is a citizen, iiuc you can get a TARC supported by her, then citizenship.
You can also get an ARC as a foreign spouse too.
In either case, you may get a work right.

Iā€™m not sure what is a work permit ban, but if you are still on an ARC, you could get a 6 month extension.

I overlooked this. Do you have a household registration???

No I donā€™t, thatā€™s why itā€™s difficult to get whatever I need to become citizen through my lineage.

Yeah I was thinking even if I get married to her under my American passport, I should be able to take the marriage certificate and her household registration to get a TARC and then I should be able to work right away?? Tricky

as far as the marriage is registered to her household registration, I think so. You maybe should exit once and reenter by your Taiwanese passport.

Huh?

Yeah Iā€™ve been here on my taiwan passport nowšŸ‘šŸ½

I donā€™t have household registrationā€¦ Iā€™m a national without household registration and my mom was born here but itā€™s difficult for her to be able to come here right now. So Iā€™m trying to figure out the best solution to be able to get my citizenship or something that allows me to stay and work (keeping in my mind my last job didnā€™t tell get my work permit in time and got me a 3 year ban) so essentially I want to be able to use my taiwan passport somehow to get some type of ā€œopen work permitā€

FIFY

no. It is your Taiwanese spouse that gives you a work right. If your mother cannot reactivate her hukou, your Taiwanese passport doesnā€™t matter.

Or, if you renounce your foreign nationality, you donā€™t need a work permit too.

So if I get married to my girlfriend, Iā€™ll have work rights again automatically?

if you get married and get a marriage based ARC or TARC, yes, you get a work right automatically.

A spouse of a citizen is exempted from a work permit, when having a residency.

Do you think my ban matters at that point? Worried they can somehow say no. But technically Iā€™m not trying to get a ā€œworking visaā€ just something that allows work rightsšŸ˜…

Side note: I thought my taiwan passport would matter because I thought I could eventually use the TARC to get citizenship if I stay one full yearā€¦ thatā€™s where itā€™s a grey area, will I still be considered a foreigner if technically Iā€™m Taiwanese and have a Taiwan passport, and if I declare household registration under my girlfriends family, Iā€™m then basically a citizen, after a year of being hereā€¦ no??

yes, if you are on a TARC sponsored by your spouse, you can apply for citizenship after a full year physical existence in Taiwan. But your work right while you are on the TARC is because your spouse is a citizen.

Okay I understand now, thank you for your help! @tando hopefully it all works out

you have a taiwan passport so you must have gone through the steps to get it. you should be able to also get a blood-lineage TARC also then?

For the TARC, OPā€™s mother should come to Taiwan to reactivate her hukou, which OP says extremely difficult.

yah but then how was he able to get a taiwan passport? since it seems like he got it after he first arrived with his US passport. also i do not think an inactive HHR from a lineal relative (his mom) would invalidate his claim for a TARC. but obviously if sheā€™s not able to help at all (like she literally lost her old shenfenzheng) then his path would be awfully difficult.

for passport purpose, hukou doesnā€™t need to be activated. Just a proof of parentā€™s nationality is enough.

If Taiwanese patent is alive, hukou should be activated for TARC.