Need help posting audio file on Hinet web space- urgent

I want to post an audio file on my hinet webspace for my students to click on to either download or play. I wrote the link in my text editor and tested it on my machine.

But when I posted it on Hinet, I get some chinese error messages that I think says "file not found"or "front page extentions blah blah blah. Links to pictures or documents have no problems.

My Chinese friend says that you need some java enabled program such front page or flash to post multi-media files. I don’t have either.

So- 1. Is there a way to post these files on hinet using a text editor (Please post example). Or 2. What freeware or non crippled shareware programs out there can let me do this quickly and easily.

If you already have HTML pages on your HiNet webspace then presumably you know how to use FTP - very easy using drag and drop. So all you need to do is to copy the sound file from your own computer to your HiNet web site using the FTP function that is integral to MS-Windows. You can hotlink to the sound file from one of your HTML pages, or set it as the background sound to a web page. For an example of the latter, on a HiNet user web site, click here. (Warning - the music is LOUD!)

To set a sound file as the background sound for a web page, do as follows:

[code]

The Sex Pistols' "God Save the Queen" God Save the Queen, she ain't no human being etc etc [/code]

Thanks for your input. I have no problem putting files into my space

*But thanks for that ftp line that I’ll use when my shareware program expires.

My problem is: my hot links to graphics and documents work fine. But, my multimedia files don’t work. I could making an error in typing my line.
It’s been a very long time since I was programming pages and even then it was very basic.

Anyway, please show me an example of a file that will play upon being clicked on it and that will allow a download if the right mouse button is clicked

My page would say. Click here to hear this weeks story.
Click here to hear this weeks song.
Click here to see our skit.

Doesn’t this work?

<a href="godsave.wav">Click here for "God Save the Queen"</a>

or this:

<embed src="godsave.wav" width=144 height=25 autostart=false>

If not, it may be a HiNet problem. I have a PNG image on my girlfriend’s cafe web site that sometimes is unavailable. I don’t know if it’s because HiNet doesn’t like the PNG format or what.

Reference:
Demonstration of Different Ways to Play a Sound from a Web Page

Confirmed: HiNet MyWeb has banned PNG image files!

[quote=“Chunghwa Telecom”]本站已禁止使用png附檔名,原因:大量違法檔案使用 png 附檔名,造成流量異常!
MyWeb had forbidden the use of PNG filenames, because a lot of illegal files use the PNG file extension, causing many bandwidth abnormalities![/quote]
Source

So I have had to re-post my photo as a JPG.

Are the frontpage extensions installed on your webspace?
Hinet needs to take care of that … and be sure never to ftp into frontpage, always use the way MS provides to update and upload your frontpage files.

I had al lot of trouble when i started using frontpage several years ago when ftp’ing it will somehow damage your extensions data logbook

But first call hinet and ask them if the RIGHT extensions are installed, not the one of a previuos version, they might not work.

OK… I’m a novice… years ago and now.

I’m a daddy, a school owner and the teacher. Right now, I just need to be able to post simple audio and video files on my website for my students to practice with.

I will sit down to learn but, unfortuntately my web site time is after the last feeding baby feeding at night or really early in the morning.

For some who knows nothing. What’s the easiest way to those files on the web page.

I really don’t know much about front page. I’d hate to have to buy it. Please explain the difference between ftping like I did before and what I have to do now.
Thanks

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]OK… I’m a novice… years ago and now.

I’m a daddy, a school owner and the teacher. Right now, I just need to be able to post simple audio and video files on my website for my students to practice with.

I will sit down to learn but, unfortuntately my web site time is after the last feeding baby feeding at night or really early in the morning.

For some who knows nothing. What’s the easiest way to those files on the web page.

I really don’t know much about front page. I’d hate to have to buy it. Please explain the difference between ftping like I did before and what I have to do now.
Thanks[/quote]

Taiwan_Student, this is not a software problem. You don’t need Frontpage, Flash or anything “java enabled” (:roll:). Make a simple html page using the code Juba provided and upload it together with the audio files to your webspace. Make sure that the FTP transfer was successful and that the name and path of the audio files is correct (be careful about upper/lowercase).

All right, here’s an example (I assume that you’re able to write html files and to upload files to your Hinet webspace). Let’s say you have compressed your audio files in mp3 format and named them “lesson1.mp3” and “lesson2.mp3” on your local hardisk. Let’s assume that the URL to your webspace is “http://myweb.hinet.net/Taiwan_Student”,

Upload the audio files to your Hinet webspace.

If you’re not uploading them to a subdirectory, they should now be available at “http://myweb.hinet.net/Taiwan_Student/lesson1.mp3” and “http://myweb.hinet.net/Taiwan_Student/lesson2.mp3”. Check if this works (copy and paste the URL into your browser or input them directly into your mp3 player software).

If it doesn’t work at this point, there might be several reasons:
a) You don’t know how to use FTP. :wink:
b) The URL is not correct: filename or path could be wrong. Make sure you’re webspace’s URL is really “http://myweb.hinet.net/Taiwan_Student/”. Check the filename (pay attention to upper/lowercase!).
c) FTP transfer was not successful (your software should have told you this).
c) Hinet doesn’t want these files (file size or type restrictions). Buy some real webspace somewhere else.

If you’ve uploaded the audio files and can play them back using their URLs, you just have to write an HTML page for easier access. It should look similar to this:

[quote]

Taiwan_Student's audio files

Click here to listen to lesson 1 (right click and select "save file as" to download)

Click here to listen to lesson 1 (right click and select "save file as" to download)

[/quote]

Save this file as “audio.htm”. Now upload the file to the same directory as the mp3 files. Enter the URL “http://myweb.hinet.net/Taiwan_Student/audio.html” into your browser. Check if everything works. Give the URL to your students and then listen to them complain about your plain and simple web design (“you need some cool flash animations!”), slow download speeds and incompatible codecs. :smiley:

If something doesn’t work, come back here or focus on your core competencies and pay someone a few bucks to get this task done for you.