Need help Romanizing my address

Alright, so I’m living in Taiwan, and I want to order something online from Amazon.com, and well, I’m really not quite sure how I translate my address into english.
Any ideas on how to do this? I did read on a site saying that usually they can decipher even the worse of translations :unamused: , but I really need to get this straight. And uhm, if someone could, could i just messege you my address and you messege me back the translation? :lick: It would help a ton.
So yeah, I’d really appreciate it, guys. :pray:

-andrew.

PS: This is my first time on the forums, and I don’t know where i should label this under, so I put it in here.

[quote=“andrewcheng”]Alright, so I’m living in Taiwan, and I want to order something online from Amazon.com, and well, I’m really not quite sure how I translate my address into english.
Any ideas on how to do this? I did read on a site saying that usually they can decipher even the worse of translations :unamused: , but I really need to get this straight. And uhm, if someone could, could i just messege you my address and you messege me back the translation? :lick: It would help a ton.
So yeah, I’d really appreciate it, guys. :pray:

-andrew.

PS: This is my first time on the forums, and I don’t know where i should label this under, so I put it in here.[/quote]
Can you post the characters? If you can do that, I can tell you the proper romanization/address format.
Or at least try to approximate the romanization.

I order regularly from amazon.com, so if you want to do it through me, you’re welcome. Save on the postage for bulk and all that. Are you in Taipei? If not, might not be cost-efficient. PM me if you’re interested.

Naw, it’s okay.
I’m just helping recieve this package for my friend, if I can.
Yeah, so it’d be much easier if it were just sent to me.
thanks a lot tho!

yall are so kind on this forum :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“andrewcheng”]

yall are so kind on this forum :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

Excuse me but… erm… That belongs in the feedback forum. Damn newbies go away!

Just kidding. :slight_smile:

Welcome to Forumosa, Andrew.

marboulette

If you regularly want to receive mail and packages, you could think about getting a PO Box - when all you have to write is “PO Box xxx”, and then the town, there’s less opportunity for things to go astray. PO Boxes are cheap - a few hundred NT a year, I think.

I’d say it depends on where you live. If you’re in a multi-tower community in Taipei, you’re probably going to be OK, but when I was living down some back alley in Tainan A LOT of my mail went astray - hence the PO Box.

[quote=“lostinasia”]If you regularly want to receive mail and packages, you could think about getting a PO Box - when all you have to write is “PO Box xxx”, and then the town, there’s less opportunity for things to go astray. PO Boxes are cheap - a few hundred NT a year, I think.

I’d say it depends on where you live. If you’re in a multi-tower community in Taipei, you’re probably going to be OK, but when I was living down some back alley in Tainan A LOT of my mail went astray - hence the PO Box.[/quote]

Oh, I really don’t think I need it, cause I don’t regularly do this, I’m just trying to recieve for a friend.
But yeah, thanks for the information. :smiley:
I just really need to get that english translation, since it would be the easiest way. :slight_smile:
thanks guys.

-andrew

[quote=“andrewcheng”]
yall are so kind on this forum :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

We are until you start asking about WIFC sour cream and why bread at 711 isn’t what you’re used to. Then the fangs come out.

[quote=“lostinasia”]If you regularly want to receive mail and packages, you could think about getting a PO Box - when all you have to write is “PO Box xxx”, and then the town, there’s less opportunity for things to go astray. PO Boxes are cheap - a few hundred NT a year, I think.

I’d say it depends on where you live. If you’re in a multi-tower community in Taipei, you’re probably going to be OK, but when I was living down some back alley in Tainan A LOT of my mail went astray - hence the PO Box.[/quote]

He’s right about this. If there is a guard in your building that is no problem, but if you live in a place with no guard, when the mailman comes with the package itself, you will most probably not be there. Then he will leave a notice -a pink or yellow paper all in Chinese- and if you do not read Chinese, it might get “interesting” to figure out where to pick your stuff.

Oh, and welcome to The Island. (maniac laugh follows).

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“lostinasia”]If you regularly want to receive mail and packages, you could think about getting a PO Box - when all you have to write is “PO Box xxx”, and then the town, there’s less opportunity for things to go astray. PO Boxes are cheap - a few hundred NT a year, I think.

He’s right about this. If there is a guard in your building that is no problem, but if you live in a place with no guard, when the mailman comes with the package itself, you will most probably not be there. Then he will leave a notice -a pink or yellow paper all in Chinese- and if you do not read Chinese, it might get “interesting” to figure out where to pick your stuff.

Oh, and welcome to The Island. (maniac laugh follows).[/quote]

I did a tool to find the pinyin from characters (I use it to read the news here) based on some open dictionaries.
This is the public part here.
Of course it will tell you “Lu” for 路 (Road) and “Da Lu” 大路 (Avenue) so use with caution.
It will also tell the tones (you should write them on the address as hyphens, that would be soooo cool).
Words are based on this: us.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=cedict

I ordered some texts a few weeks ago and simply listed my address in Pinyin. Got the books in 2 days from shipping. Shipping address was different from address on my card so I got a call from the bank to approve the purchase but other than that, no problems. Was delivered to guard house and they called me to pick it up.

Haha, i can read chinese perfectly fine:P
i speak mandarin fluently, so that won’t be a problem
and i’m just trying to recieve this one time.
but i think i got the answer i was looking for.
so, thanks guys :slight_smile:

-andrew

edit:

that pretty much solidifies my trust to the answer i got then!
thanks!

Use the full 5 digit postal code.

Ask Cranky.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]Taiwan’s official rules on addressing envelopes (wàiwén yóujiàn dìzhǐ shūxiě yuánzé), as issued by the Ministry of Education, were changed very recently.

Here’s the previous style:

(yī) dì-yī háng: xìngmíng (huò shāngdiàn, gōngsī děng), lìrú: FAN, Kai-Lang
(èr) dì-èr háng: ménpái hàomǎ, lòng, xiàng, duàn, lù jiēmíng, lìrú: No.55, Lane 77, Sec.2, Jinshan S. Rd.
(sān) dì-sān háng: xiāng-zhèn, xiàn-shì, yóudì qūhào, lìrú: Jinshan, Taipei County, 249
(sì) dì-sì háng: guó míng, lìrú: Taiwan (R.O.C.)

And here’s what the new rules give:

(yī) dì-yī háng: xìngmíng (huò shāngdiàn, gōngsī děng), lìrú: Fan Kailang
(èr) dì-èr háng: ménpái hàomǎ, lòng, xiàng, duàn, lù jiēmíng, lìrú: 55, Ln. 77, Sec. 2, Jinshan S. Rd.
(sān) xiāng-zhèn, xiàn-shì, yóudì qūhào, lìrú: Jinshan, Taipei County 10603
(sì) dì-sì háng: guó míng, lìrú: Taiwan (R.O.C.)

So, no change in the placement of “Sec.” But at least there’s now a space after the abbreviations, “Lane” can become “Ln.”, the officially encouraged style has the 5-digit postal code, and there’s no comma before the postal code. And “No.” is no longer mandated. And, of course, personal names are handled differently (though the exact style is still up to the individual).

As far as real-world situations go, however, people can probably put the section number pretty much anywhere and have the letter get through. So go with whatever makes ya happy.[/quote]
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 93#p916893](Hanyu pinyin to be official in 2009

I advocate putting the Sec. after the road. E.g.:

Zhongxiao E. Rd. Sec. 4

This was the standard for decades before the DPP came along and messed things up.

Wow, i’m getting really confused now… :astonished:
Can anyone just tell me if this would work or not?

e.g: if i were to order from amazon.com and i put in the following info, would it get to me safely?

24 Jilin Road, Shuangxin Village, Baoshan Township, Xinzhu County, Taiwan

postal: 30841 :pray:

thanks again guys. :frowning:

(ps: sorry if i sound really stupid with my questions, i’ve really never done this, and i’m sorta unaware of everything)

[quote=“andrewcheng”]24 Jilin Road, Shuangxin Village, Baoshan Township, Xinzhu County, Taiwan

postal: 30841 :pray: [/quote]

Put the postal code after the county name:
24 Jilin Road, Shuangxin Village, Baoshan Township, Xinzhu County 30841, Taiwan

If you want to be official, you could go with “Hsin[color=#000040]c[/color]hu County” instead of “Xinzhu County”. But in practice it shouldn’t make any difference, especially given the correct five-digit postal code.

[quote=“andrewcheng”]Wow, I’m getting really confused now… :astonished:
Can anyone just tell me if this would work or not?

e.g: if i were to order from amazon.com and i put in the following info, would it get to me safely?

24 Jilin Road, Shuangxin Village, Baoshan Township, Xinzhu County, Taiwan

postal: 30841 :pray:

thanks again guys. :frowning:

(ps: sorry if i sound really stupid with my questions, I’ve really never done this, and I’m sorta unaware of everything)[/quote]
You need to put a name too. :slight_smile:
As long as the postal code is right, you are good to go!

If you put the Chinese character address into maps.google.com, it will return the Romanized address…

Thank you!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I think I’m set to go!
Thanks guys! :wink: