Need help with SuperMemo and CJKOS

I’ve been having a rough time geting CJKOS to work with supermemo. I’m looking up words in PlecoDict, then trying to paste them into SuperMemo. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work correctly. For example, I try to copy jie3 from PlecoDict, but it pastes zhang4 into supermemo.

Also, how the heck to I use hanyu zhuyin entry for CJKOS on a Palm? I double-tap into the CJKOS interface, but have no idea what do to from there.

Is there anyone in the Taipei city area who would have time to get together with me and teach me how to get Supermemo/ CJKOS/PlecoDict all working together? Will barter food/drink at the restaurant of your choice. =)

TIA

Calling Dr. JoeSax, stat!

Do a search, there is a thread about this. If the answers aren’t there, then send a PM to JoeSax who is really good with these two programs.

Best of luck

This sounds like Pleco is using one codeset and SuperMemo (that is, CJKOS) is set up for another. I’ve had this happen in the past as well. I guess I just never paste from one to the other…I figure if I know the pronunciation (having seen the word in PlecoDict) it’s good practice to enter it into SM. (I know, I’m rationalizing, but it DID eliminate the problem… :smiley: )

I think you can set up PlecoDict to do its own Chinese character display (and that’s why this happens, I believe). You could try switching your CJKOS to display the “other” character set (simplified vs. traditional) and see if that helps, but of course that depends on whether you prefer to use simplified or traditional characters.

SM is going to go with whatever settings you have going in CJKOS, while Pleco is independent AFAIK.

FWIW< my settings in CJKOS are:

(x) Enable CJKOS (of course)
Char set: Chinese GBK
(x) Smart Detect Char Set
(x) support CJK boldFont
(x) Support CJK largeBoldFont

Go to the “Input” tab (I’m using CJKOS v. 4.621 BTW);
(x) Enable CJK Keyboard
Input method: Choose the second one, 符号 (well, come to think of it, it’s the second one on my system because of the specific input methods I chose when installing. But you want the “fu hao” choice.)
(x) Seek at once (x) Auto Send
( ) Phrase input ( ) Show Hint
(x) Phrase association ( ) Reverse
(x) Smart Prioritize Word ( ) Phrase
(x) Match Precisely

That’s what works for me with PlecoDict. I just tried it resetting CJKOS on Big5 rather than GBK character set, and I can still paste from PlecoDict into MemoPad. Whatever I paste is still in simplified characters (that’s how I’ve got PlecoDict set up.)

bTW, on PlecoDict prefernces, I have:
( ) Pinyin text…
( ) Allow list/input palettes together
(x) Magnify chars when tapped
(x) Autodetect Copy to Input lang
(x) Skip over demo dicts
( ) Force traditional char conversion
( ) Input field compatibility…
( ) Smooth HWR input lines
Dict ( ) Add (x) Flash ( ) (at start)
( ) Use Big5 text encoding
( ) Inst Access

Changing to (x) Use Big5 text encoding lets me copy what LOOKS LIKE a simplified character in PlecoDict, but paste what amounts to a Traditional character in MemoPad.

HTH
Terry

[quote=“hippo”]I’ve been having a rough time geting CJKOS to work with supermemo. I’m looking up words in PlecoDict, then trying to paste them into SuperMemo. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work correctly. For example, I try to copy jie3 from PlecoDict, but it pastes zhang4 into supermemo.[/quote]I think the problem is Plecodict’s “External text encoding” setting. It’s probably set to GB-2312, but as Ironlady says, it needs to be Big5.

You can change the setting by selecting Dict > Preferences and then choosing Big5 in the dropdown list at the top of the Preferences dialog.

CJKOS also needs to be set to Big 5. Open the CJKOS manager thingy from the Applications screen. In the CJKOS tab, check that you’ve got Chinese BIG5 selected in the Char Set dropdown list.

Zhuyin Fuhao? In the Input tab, select
符號
in the Input Method dropdown list.

[quote=“hippo”]Is there anyone in the Taipei city area who would have time to get together with me and teach me how to get Supermemo/ CJKOS/PlecoDict all working together?[/quote]Sure, can do. Try out the things suggested in this thread, and if they don’t work, send me a PM.

Ironlady and Joesax,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thank you for typing all of that in! My menus are a bit different, but I got things to copy correctly from plecodict once I followed you guys’ directions and got the the codesets agreeing with each other with the “External text encoding” setting. I set everything to Big-5 and now I’m getting traditional Chinese in everything.

If you guys would be so patient and generous to help me again… I still can’t figure out how to use CKJOS to enter Chinese text into supermemo. I doubletap to open the CKJOS data entry screen and then enter in a word, but I can’t figure out how to actually make CKJOS turn the entered word and tone number into an actual Chinese character. I guess there is supposed to be a list of possible characters displayed while I enter the word in pinyin, but nothing appears. I have the b5SY and b5ZY input methods installed. Do I need to install other ones?

Thanks again!

Ok, I got CJKOS to understand hanyupinyin. I reinstalled CJKOS using the install.exe. I set it to recognize hanyupinyin this time (boy, do I feel stupid).

Thank you guys again. I couldn’t have figured this out without yous!

[quote=“hippo”]Ok, I got CJKOS to understand hanyupinyin. I reinstalled CJKOS using the install.exe. I set it to recognize hanyupinyin this time (boy, do I feel stupid).

Thank you guys again. I couldn’t have figured this out without yous![/quote]Glad it’s all working now.