Need high resolution satellite picture of (Northern) Taiwan

Looking for a hi-res satellite picture similar to the one shown here:

oardc.ohio-state.edu/hkliu1/PDF/taiwan.jpg

I need a better quality however. The Northern area would be sufficient for a start (Taipei county and North coast).

Any suggestions / links? Tried google but nothing better than the above came up …

There is a great satellite image server here: zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/

I can’t remember if they have a viewer for download though. I use CompeGPS for this kind of thing. Drape the photo over a digital elevation map and view in 3D.

Hi Rascal, check out the links listed under Sammlungen at Erdsicht.de (but don’t spend too much time looking at hi-res pictures of German cities :smiley:).

Too cool! You can almost see my folks’ house (2 inches from the top, 2 inches from the left, just to the southeast of Loch Insh). Pop in and say hi if you’re up that way!

It might not be what you’re looking for, but you could check out Keyhole:
keyhole.com/
It’s got decent resolution for the whole world - and resolution down to ~1m for most cities (Taipei included). I could fairly easily see my house, office, etc. with that.
It’s not free, but you can play with a free demo for 7 days …

Thanks, this is great! High-res and including GPS coordinates (you have to download the ~100MB file). Terrible colors though … :wink:

What SW do you use for the digital elevation map?

Better not, that would make me homesick … :wink:

[quote=“david”]It might not be what you’re looking for, but you could check out Keyhole: keyhole.com/
It’s got decent resolution for the whole world - and resolution down to ~1m for most cities (Taipei included). I could fairly easily see my house, office, etc. with that. It’s not free, but you can play with a free demo for 7 days …[/quote]
Yeah, nearly forgot about it since I de-installed it after the trial period. Though I think to remember you can’t download the pictures.

Anyhow, BIG thanks to all of you!

I also use CompeGPS to view the DEMs, that’s one of it’s purposes. There is a demo version at compegps.com. Another one you can use is OziExplorer. They both can view and manipulate all kinds of digital maps, download and edit GPS tracks, routes and waypoints.

The DEMs I have are quite good at 90m x 90m. Just can’t recall right now where it was I d/l’d them from.

Here’s a look at the Toucheng area from 2000m, looking NNW.

Great NASA website, thanks for the discussion.