Need orientation info for Kaohsiung

Hi I just new in this forum…we are moving to kaohsiung very soon,DH will go next month and DS and me in August.

I would like some orientation about that city,what place is good for live,my son will go to the Kaohsiung american school we would like 3 or 4 bedroom apt in a good neighborhood…

About birth control pills I will need a prescription there? or just take over the counter.

Any fabrics and ribbon store in kaohsiung?..

Hope I can have some help here…Thanks…

I can’t help you with the Kaohsiung stuff…but for birth control pills in Taiwan you don’t need a prescription. However, if you’re from America you won’t find the same pills here. The only familiar one I found was Yasmin, but it’ll cost you about 500NT (and I’ve heard that one’s pretty unsafe).
My friends from SA and NZ recognised a lot of the brands here, and they recommened the Diane 35, which every pharmacy has for about 300NT (the generic version is called Lunar SC for 150, but not every place has it). You have to be a little careful and check the drug names on the other pills, cause a lot of them are 3rd generation, which I think are banned, or about to be banned in America becuase of the desogestrel.

I looked at the title, Need a lot of help please!!!, and thought someone must be in a real terrible predicament. And then it’s like, is there a ribbon store in Kaoxiong?

Don’t be such a drama queen. And welcome to Taiwan.

Mercilon (with desogestrel) cost around NT$130 (US$3.93)for a 21-day regimen. No prescription needed.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I looked at the title, Need a lot of help please!!!, and thought someone must be in a real terrible predicament. And then it’s like, is there a ribbon store in Kaoxiong?

Don’t be such a drama queen. And welcome to Taiwan.[/quote]

You’re just jealous cos I didn’t believe you when you fell down that well.

Bring a year’s supply with you and sort it out once here?

Not to go off topic, er but DB what do you know about birth control pills??!? You got a secret you ain’t told us about, yet :eh: :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t live in Kaohsiung but a little outside it…and only know it well through the MRT line…the area between Zuoying (the high speed train station) and Kaohsiung Arena (there’s a new Hanshin shopping center there) seems pretty nice. Newer buildings around there, more spacious, looks not bad actually. If I were living in the city I would take a look at that area first.

Basically there’s the north end (that I described), downtown (older and closer to central park and the main shopping area), and the south end (there’s a costco, ikea, and the dream mall there).

A lot of people from Taipei (I lived there over a year) talk about K-town like it’s a cesspool, but it’s far from it. While industrial pollution is worse, the traffic pollution, and traffic in general, is not nearly as bad. You won’t find near the same selection of food choice and bar life as you do in Taipei, but the city itself, and the planning of it, is superior to Taipei. You’re not surrounded by crowded, dingy dark buildings, and it’s more pedestrian friendly. The weather here is pretty hot in summer but I much prefer it to the endless rain and humidity that Taipei brings.

No idea about the ribbon stuff, I’m sure you can find it here somewhere though.

Thanks everyone for your help…I will check all the name of that pills for see which one is the better for me.

Dr McCoy thanks for call me drama queen but belive me will be a big drama for me if I don’t find fabrics and ribbons there lol!!!

[quote=“Francisbel”]Thanks everyone for your help…I will check all the name of that pills for see which one is the better for me.

Dr McCoy thanks for call me drama queen but belive me will be a big drama for me if I don’t find fabrics and ribbons there lol!!![/quote]
Sorry. I usually don’t call people names, except for old stinky face. I don’t know what came over me.
I’m sure you’ll find everything you need. I lived there for a little while about 10 years ago. It’s a great city with warm weather and friendly people.

Hi mups thanks a lot for this information!!! :slight_smile:

[quote=“mups”]I don’t live in Kaohsiung but a little outside it…and only know it well through the MRT line…the area between Zuoying (the high speed train station) and Kaohsiung Arena (there’s a new Hanshin shopping center there) seems pretty nice. Newer buildings around there, more spacious, looks not bad actually. If I were living in the city I would take a look at that area first.

Basically there’s the north end (that I described), downtown (older and closer to central park and the main shopping area), and the south end (there’s a costco, ikea, and the dream mall there).

A lot of people from Taipei (I lived there over a year) talk about K-town like it’s a cesspool, but it’s far from it. While industrial pollution is worse, the traffic pollution, and traffic in general, is not nearly as bad. You won’t find near the same selection of food choice and bar life as you do in Taipei, but the city itself, and the planning of it, is superior to Taipei. You’re not surrounded by crowded, dingy dark buildings, and it’s more pedestrian friendly. The weather here is pretty hot in summer but I much prefer it to the endless rain and humidity that Taipei brings.

No idea about the ribbon stuff, I’m sure you can find it here somewhere though.[/quote]