Need Rooting Advice for Android

I just got my first smartphone - a Samsung Galaxy S2, and I having a lot of fun with it, but it’s becoming frustrating to see just how many apps look great but are not available in Taiwan. After some fishing around I got Market Enabler, but it appears that it requires root access. I read up on root access, and it is very tempting, but I am worried that it will break my phone. I fished around for cracking guides but am not confident enough to do it.

Now I am aware that a risk is involved, but I just want to get opinions from people in TW who have had their phones rooted. Did it go well or did it cripple your phone? I would also love to find someone who could help me do this, or point me to someone who can do it for me. Like I said, I know it’s risky, so if it goes badly I’ll just have to deal with it. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think there’s a thread somewhere here with links.

I have a HTC phone, was pretty easy to root it. I think I just followed a video on youtube. don’t recall the link. Took me a few minutes.

installing the new ROM took longer (cyanogen), but was fairly straightforward.

My opinion is that as long as you follow instructions to the letter (and make sure those instructions are appropriate for your particular model just in case), the battery is charged (you’re plugged in), the risk should be low. but of course, back up. I’m not exactly sure what would cause the phone to brick, you read horror stories on the net, but they don’t tell you what went wrong.

if your phone is super expensive, maybe think twice.

have a look at the XDA forum, that is the biggest android community available online:

forum.xda-developers.com/forumdi … 839&f=1055

They will also offer you one-click toosl for windows, where you phone will be rooted with just one click, there is no need to change the firmware. Pretty straight forward and easy to do for everyone. Or go to a phone shop and pay money, they do that for you as well…

[quote=“milkalex”]have a look at the XDA forum, that is the biggest android community available online:

forum.xda-developers.com/forumdi … 839&f=1055

They will also offer you one-click toosl for windows, where you phone will be rooted with just one click, there is no need to change the firmware. Pretty straight forward and easy to do for everyone. Or go to a phone shop and pay money, they do that for you as well…[/quote]

I tried to root it, but I got the yellow triangle and a reboot loop. The guy I bought it from fixed it, and now it’s rooted. I still can’t figure out how to get paid apps that are not available in TW. Free ones are not an issue with Market Enabler, but paid ones keep informing me (after I click to purchase) that the app can’t be found. Not sure what to do. I also downloaded ROM Manager and want to make a back up of my current ROM. Any ideas?

I had a ‘smart phone’ a while ago … it went wrong, lost USB connection for a few seconds and I have now an expensive dumb paperweight …