Need some idea of family costs in Taiwan

I’ve been to both schools in Taiwan and schools in North America. I was a bit older than the OPs oldest. Don’t do this to him bringing him to public school here. It was like paradise leaving Taiwan’s public school for me. You don’t know if he will thrive in this system let along be able to take it.

I was struggling so much and teacher even thought I had a learning disability. All because I was a boy and couldn’t sit there for hours at a time focused and repeating writing strokes hundreds of times each night for hours to memorize which is what the kid will be doing here. The kids will hate it if they have any free thoughts, creatively, are outgoing and energetic. Taiwan’s public schools are for them to conform. Thes a fine line between conformity and discipline and I found Taiwan’s public schools on the wrong side. I was hit every day as corporal punishment was still allowed when I was here.

In the US I got to play sports, socialize, be creative and I got Just less than perfect in my SATs scoring in the top 5% of all students in my class that year. Got a scholarship to every school I applied in either academic or for sports. This would have never happened in Taiwan.

2 Likes

The education system becomes insane after the age of 12. Up to then I think the public school system is fine.

2 Likes

I’m lucky that my kids are both big readers (like their father). We actually have to force them to put the books down sometimes. Once we were all going out to the park to play and they asked if they could bring their books.

I just need to force myself to make sure I do more reading with them. I don’t think I do nearly enough. I start doing it but then it gets put to the side as other things take over (including me being too busy to do it). We have a book of short stories that we each take a turn reading a page from. That way, they get to hear me read and pick up my reading rhythm (which my youngest does much more than my oldest) and I get to hear them read as well.

1 Like

#metoo. I just never grew up :blush:

1 Like

Yes, complete madness after 12, think 7am to 10pm. Those are te hours your kid will be studying, and then some more if they have homework from buxiban. If you want the kids to have higher education here, that’s the way. If not just let them have a good time and send them for high school and up abroad.

2 Likes

Regarding the question how to get a work permit here: If you manage to somehow prove over 160.000 NT$/month (including bonuses, 13th salary, or whatever else you get in Canada) you can qualify for a “Gold Card”: https://tw.forumosa.com/t/employment-gold-card-for-some-foreigners/

That means you can work whatever you want for whoever you want, your spouse and children can reside, work and have health insurance as well, and several other benefits.

Whatever you do - I wish you the best of luck. I believe if living in an Chinese-speaking but western foreigner friendly Asian society is something you look for, then Taiwan overall is by far the best destination in the world for a family (or even for single people) .

2 Likes

But for a kid who is used to the canadian system? Probably never has homework on weekends, breaks are actual breaks. The kid will no longer talk about feelings a competition becomes real. He will be handed books of math equations to finish and words to copy writing 20 times each every night. And when he’s done, he will get another book to do. Breaks are not breaks, they are for studying.

20 times each may be a bit of exaggeration. It may be 2-5 times each. Breaks can be breaks for elementary kids, depending on patents.

1 Like

I’ve never seen them make them write less than 5. Usually 10 times each, it may be more if the teacher rejects your hand writing and see your strokes are not correct. I don’t think anyone can learn chinese by repeating each words 2 times. Takes more than that. Maybe it became easier, idk. Wasn’t like that when I was a kid.

Aged 4 and 9? Accepted, the lad aged 9 will find it challenging.

In order to thrive kids will need to get used to/be a part of the culture. If not, then don’t come.

I’m talking about the older kid.

For me, I would never take them from even a stupid canadian system to Taiwan’s public school. It’s awful, I did not do well in it.

1 Like

It may largely depend on teachers. That is what my kid brings from school as homework. They may repeat more in class. Once they remember some sets of characters, learning new words and characters becomes easier.

Like I said, we don’t know how the kid will do in this system. Some kids did very well. I did not, it was miserable everyday. Some kids grow their minds differently.

You seem to have come through it OK.

I agree with you, it wouldn’t be a challenge I would subject my child to. However, kids are pretty resilient and it can be the making of them.

I left once my parents saw them going to the teacher’s every week for issues was going to be a problem. Not to mention the poor grades and daily hitting as punishment. They literally thought I had some mental issues and learning disability at school…but it’s called being a little boy. It’s not normal for boys to sit still and focus on something like that for hours. I had a extremely negative experience. I’m not the only one, but that’s not to say many kids do ok and even really well.

I also wouldn’t move to taiwan with the OPs situations, but Taiwanese elementary schools may not be as horrible as @Andrew0409 remembers/describes for many kids.

My daughter seems to be having a good time at elementary school here. I hope I’m not missing anything she may be hiding, but she seems very happy.

It will mean that I’ll be putting back any chance of retirement 5 or so years, but we hope to put her into Taipei European School when she hits 10.

People are just projecting their own experience. Elementary school has gotten significantly easier worldwide in recent years. But you would do well to prepare for the high school insanity.

Ha ha, reminds me of benders appartment in futurama: https://vimeo.com/202068535

1 Like

Idk why you guys would be worried about your children’s English. You are foreigners fgs.

Well that’s the amount of practice one needs to remember how to write a character. Isn’t it true that you can barely read/write Chinese? This is probably the reason.

I think it’s still manageable till 15. It does get really bad in high school, though I must say I probably wouldn’t enjoy American style high school either where everyone who doesn’t do sports or isn’t an edgy emo-kid or do drugs/smoke/drink or isn’t the queen bee would be bullied. #carrie

1 Like