Need some idea of family costs in Taiwan

It’s true that the grass always looks greener on other pastures. That’s how my wife ended up in Canada. It’s more like she wants to go back from the mistake of assuming all that’s western glitters like gold.

1 Like

Yea its a vicious circle. I know cause I’m in it too. Learned it the hard way several times :confounded:

I think at this point we all realize that no place is perfect, they all have issues. It’s more like, which issues can you deal with more easily?

Finding a decent salary in Canada is not easy either, it took me many years to built up to what I have. Aside from my complaints about Canada, I am worried about losing what I’ve built up if I make the move. But I also don’t believe what I have here is sustainable, if I don’t act it may fall out from under me anyway. My industry is very unstable, and I may be priced out of the rental market here if this keep going up.

I guess one way to do it is to broaden your view on possible destinations and mainly look at options that let you keep the same career. Like only apply for similarly good jobs.

Considering all the added costs, 150k is too low if you want bilingual private schools for 2 kids and a decent lifestyle. You will be just scraping by, really. I think unless your wife can also find a good paying job, you will regret being here and the grass will show itself in not so pretty shades of green. Being mixed here is not an advantage unless in very specific niches like the entertainment industry. Nothing is impossible though, if you are willing to sacrifice a lot you might still like it here. It is pretty safe and there are other perks of living in Taiwan, but per your first post I fear what you expect will be much different than what you will find here.

Have you been to Taiwan?

Personally it sounds like what you need is a better and more stable job and for your wife to try to get used to it and perhaps integrate more. And to just move from expensive Toronto and possibly another country like the US where the kids would be able to just right ahead into public school. I would only move if someone made me a better offer in Taiwan and asked me to move here and are willing to send your kids to school.

It could work for you here but I’m not so sure Taiwan is the better situation for you.

1 Like

FYI

she also needs to get a work permit to work. What is her profession? If she has a degree, she can work as an English teacher at buxiban.

You will find most of required info in this government site.
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/Content_List.aspx?n=3840722B002ADEAB

IMHO if Canada’s large metro city doesn’t work for mixed kids nowhere will…

Your kids won’t have ID in Taiwan so it’s a temp move for them?

There are many new pharma companies in China there’s some possibility to work with them but better from Canada no?

Job market isn’t great here, it could be a struggle at the start. Pay is generally low…You need to think hard about that.

Cost of living is lower than Canada but who is going to be paying the bills ?

I think it’s possible to move and make A success but you will need time to figure out work.

Chinese education for kids is going to be a bit tough but neccessary.

2 Likes

Your wife acquire her Canadian citizenship trough investment or work ? If it’s trough the invesment visa program, can’t her family help you out with expenses in tw ?

If it’s trough work, doesn’t she need to file tax returns for x years, 3 I think, before qualifying and if that’s the case why is she living in a bubble ? Hasn’t she made any friends from work ?

Sure if your kids are fluent in Chinese.

They can speak Mandarin.

Tbh local education is not too tough till high school, before that it’s not too difficult, especially primary school. Besides in first and second grade the kids would only have to be at school till noon (except tuesday).

1 Like

It’s going to be hard to catch up with the written Chinese. Possible but tough.
As a parent with two kids in elementary it’s not exactly a picnic, it is quite tough on kids especially if they are not quick to pick up speed in doing tests, writing Chinese, maths…My elementary schooling was very easy going compared to them…Plus hours can be long…Less vacation time too.

Job prospects for the OP here, in his current line of work, are slim at best.
You would need to hook up with a company that wants / needs a foreigner before you got here. Land yourself a decent expat living package from the company…housing, moving costs, etc.

Most Western foreigners here are teaching. It really is all there is to do for livable income. Some eventually open their own businesses but few are successful. A few come in to work for international companies…but they are the minority.

If you really, really are dead set on coming to Taiwan, your best bet would be to try to make the best of it where you are while you try and get a teaching license. Come here and land yourself a job at a private bilingual school or international school. That way tuition for your kids will be anywhere from half to free.

Do not come here without a teaching license. It is not worth it, especially with a family.

It’s only tough if the children don’t know Chinese well. The “exams” in elementary schools are extremely easy.

Idk how long vacations are in Ireland for elementary pupils. I remember it’s 8 weeks in summer and 3 weeks in winter in Taiwan, which could be longer. I think the vacation time for university is pretty good (10 weeks in summer and 5 weeks in winter), school age kids should have the same.

Yes you are an expert on Taiwan’s elementary schools from your own very limited experience .

The way it works with exams is some kids find them easy, some not. A problem can occur when your kids are slow to proceed through the exams (time pressure) and there’s a fair amount of teaching to the test. There is still a bit emphasis on mid terms and end of term exams. It’s all a bit crazy and unnecessary at a young age.

I think the OP can lean towards the advice from myself and others who actually have kids in school here right now.

Kids in Taiwan don’t get mid term breaks which is one of the biggest drawbacks in my opinion. Also when they are older they get even less time off with some parents and schools requesting them to study through the Summer !

Limited experience? I went to elementary school in Taiwan (and middle school, high school, and university, btw), which makes me an expert in relation to like all of you guys since I bet none of you did the same. Did you go to elementary school in Taiwan? :roll:

The OP is not staying till then so it doesn’t concern him.

Do you have kids in Taiwan’s schools now?

Sorry but then you aren’t able to relate as a parent as to what is actually happening in the schools now.
You are also going off your own experience only.

You’ve also got no point of comparison to Western elementary schools.

Kids don’t get mid terms breaks in elementary school. Heavy test preparation and homework is a reality in elementary school. My kid is in third grade doing 8am to 4pm four days a weekm, lots of homework and exams too.

I can provide opinions from the child’s view point since I used to be one, which none of you could.

You don’t really have any either since you probably went to one like 40 years ago or something.

Mid-term breaks would be great but they are only one week so big deal.

That’s only in grade 5 and 6 and the exams and homeworks are very easy. I used to get like 399 out of 400 without studying.

Mid term breaks are one week in some countries, two weeks in other countries…

I know people who teach in elementary school now back in my homeland, also plenty of relatives there in elementary school.