Need some idea of family costs in Taiwan

See? That price range is the norm, not 2500 CAD. 30k is already on the high end. He also has 2 kids so it’s most likely a 3 bedroom.

2500 CAD would be extremely fancy.

It’s usually around 30k or so for a elevator and security 3bd on MRT in New Taipei City. Prices have gone up slightly for rentals but only a little.
If willing to live outside of Taipei city prices drop rapidly and there are just tonnes of options.

1 Like

I doubt this is true, although it would be awesome if it was if I ever decided to rent out my apartment.

My place is a 2br(3br prior to renovation) and comparable in quality to what you would get in Europe, but I seriously doubt I can rent it out for 60K TWD(~2500CAD)

Location is central Taipei.

You may be able to rent it due to location. But the number of folks willing and able to pay 60k per month for an apartment is really small.

…most landlords will bite your hand off as soon as you go over 30k plus per month …Slow to rent out.

How will OP get residency and work permit? I suppose if he lines up a job in advance, the employer might take care of it for him. But since he plans on bringing the whole family with him it’s a question well worth considering.

His original post says he’s from Canada, and wife born in China with Canadian citizenship.

So far every place mentioned has been outside of Taipei, and “quite shit”. Exactly.

In downtown you could easily rent out a good apartment for 60k.

My high school classmates are renting together in Taipei City (near 景美 so slightly off the centre, but still in Taipei city nonetheless). Together they pay 25k for a 3 bedroom and they live like 3 mins away from the metro stop by foot, so their commute is like 20 mins.

Every single listing here is INSIDE Taipei.

Probably in a world in which Taipei is spelled T-O-K-Y-O.

Or I guess you’re just scammed.

You can depending on if a nice apartment or not and size of said apartment. For a two bed even in central Taipei it would be on the high side for sure.

Of course. You can get a place in Taipei for $10k if you want to live in a crappy shoebox.

I’m trying to compare apples to apples, meaning similar in size and quality (of the apartment, surrounding neighborhood, and location) to what I would expect for $2500 CAD in Canada.

You cannot get an apartment in Taipei (not New Taipei) that meets all of those requirements: reasonable size for family of 4, comparable to western quality interior, good neighborhood, good location, etc, for $30k. Or $50k. Those places will start around the $60k level, which is exactly what OP is paying now.

Again, you can get whatever you’re willing to pay for. You can get a place for half the price, but you have to be willing to sacrifice some aspects.

1 Like

This is certainly true to a large extent.
He won’t be able to afford what he is paying now.
But even though I could probably afford to pay that I don’t want to pay, I’d rather save the difference cos there are so many cheaper but decent apartments out there to rent but a quick commute into the city. Also not all these ‘suburbs’ are bad places to live.
It’s a different calculation .

1 Like

Since your wife is a Chinese speaker, just check www.591.com.tw.

The exact environment could be checked by google.

Upper end western-style community in Taipei city as I know only in Tianmu area, Shilin District.

1 Like

To me Tianmu isn’t even a Western style community.
Its almost more a Japanese style community with a few Western things dotted about. Every now and then you might spot a big nose. Nice place though I lived there myself for a while.

So can @morran01 ask you to write him a check if he is only able to rent out his place with a pathetic 30k? A quick search on Canada’s rental site shows that a 2 bedroom is only 80-90 m2, which is almost the same as the size of a 2 bedroom in Taipei (like 25 ping), though their photography is better so the place looks bigger. I’ve fallen into that kind of trap in Europe multiple times. So many places (hotel rooms or airbnbs) look HUGE/fancy in pictures but when I opened the door it’s a joke.

You’re just pulling bs out of your ass. Where does your information come from?

Mister Khun Sa, he dead. I have ever visited his grave.

1 Like

This is absolutely true. Especially when they enter junior high

I have only ever seen ONE home that reminded me of a house from the US or Canada here in Taiwan. It was owned and lived in by the ambassador to Chile. It was up in Tienmu. The outside was … okay … but nothing really good looking. The interior was definitely more Western, especially the kitchen with its full sized double oven, electric range, dishwasher, island with sink, etc. The rooms were very generous in size. A place like that is hard to find already set up. Every other home I have been in has been the typical Taiwanese style flat or older 3 or 4 floor narrow home.

The reality about housing is that you WILL pay Western prices for Taiwanese postage stamp places in Taipei and even New Taipei. The cost of housing in Northern Taiwan is outrageous. The only way Taiwanese can survive is because housing is passed on from generation to generation, they are cohabiting their home with other family members who contribute financially, they are living in tremendous debt or they are part of the 0.01% who are wealthy enough on their own.

The OP will not find something comparable in quality and style to the West for under 80,000 NT a month. I am talking a room for each person to sleep in, a Western style kitchen in both size and appliances and furnished nicely.

30,000 NT can get you a basic, but newer and nice, 4 bedroom flat in New Taipei. Not furnished though. Furnished + parking will bump you up to 40,000 NT. I dare anyone to show me anything for less that meets those standards.

The OP, like the majority of us, will need to adapt and adjust to the local way of life with a sprinkle of Western amenities when he can add them.

I do not think he can find a job here in his current field that will pay what he needs for a comparable life style to what he has now. The chance of him landing a job in Hsinchu in his field is well below good odds. He really would be better off getting a teaching license and teaching so he can secure free tuition for his kids and an ARC.

it depends on your comfortable zone.

You cannot compare Taipei to “US” or “Canada”, you should compare what you get to metropolitan areas within those countries.

A 10 ping apartment in Helsinki or Stockholm will put you back 45k NTD, you can easily get same quality apartment in Taipei of the same size for 45k or less

OP is not from Helsinki, is he?
He is from Canada.
Apples and oranges.

True, hes from Toronto if I recall correctly.

I think there is a big difference between apartments in toronto and those in the countryside

2 Likes