Need to extend ARC but going away until after it expires?

Hello, wondering if anyone has any advice?

My ARC expires on the 31st of August but I am going away early August for my wedding and won’t return until September 3rd after the expiry date.

I’ve left my current school a few days ago and am in the middle of looking for a new position. However, I doubt I will have enough time to get a new job, get the work permit and then get my ARC renewed before I go away (8th of August).

What exactly is the best thing to do? Let the ARC expire and then return to Taiwan with my UK 90 day visa free entry and then apply for the ARC at my new school?

Thanks in advance!

Get a 6-month ARC extension. Just go to the NIA with a work termination certificate from your school and ask for an extension. It’s free.
Also note that your ARC is linked to your work - the expiration date is only there as long as your contract is still going. If you left your school before the end of your contract (which I assume is the case otherwise you wouldn’t have got an ARC until August 31st), they have probably already called the MOL to let them know you no longer work there (otherwise they would have to keep on paying NHI/taxes etc. for you). I believe that your resident visa (ie: ARC) expires 2 weeks after the MOL has been officially notified of your release from employment (maybe more?) - in any case, the expiry date on your ARC is no longer valid.

Bottom line: go get your ARC extended for 6-months, you can leave and enter the country on the extension no problem, and you’ll have plenty of time to find a new job without resetting the APRC clock. Do it now so that you can get the new ARC card before your trip in August.

You could do that, come in visa free …
Other option is to go to immigration, tell them that your job is finished and they can give you a 6 month visa with arc. They will ask what you intend to do, you can say travel, finding new work. This gives you an additional 6 months. When you come back, when you find a new job, rock up with your work permit and they will change you back to work visa arc.

Edit … boss of who beat me to it.

You definitely want to do what ‘the boss of who’ recommends.

Regardless you should find out if your school has sent in your termination paperwork and has cancelled your ARC. The expiration date is meaningless and you could be here illegally if they have cancelled it.

Does this imply that I won’t enjoy NHI benefits once my contract ends? I plan to request for an extension after my contract ends to undergo a medical procedure.

Will labor insurance cover part of the cost even if my condition is not “occupational”?