Negative Propaganda towards Foreigners having an effect on Locals - BE CAREFUL

Everyone might be aware of all this media uproar over foreigners. From the AIT employee,the Sex in the park news to the Hit and Run guy who fled a while back.
I honestly think all this is really having a negative effect on how the locals perceive foreigners. Some personal experiences & observances:

1. This Morning - Weaving in and out of Traffic on the way to work this morning and got a mouthful :fume: of Taiwanese slur and Gan Nin Ya’s from a driver.
    Everyone else in the damn road is doing oh but no, you’re a foreigner you might ‘kill’ someone.

2. Monday Evening - On Jianguo S. Road, saw a foreigner having an argument with a small restaurant owner/employee . I stopped, asked what was going on and how I could help. The guy accidentally forgot to pay at the counter and just walked out talking on his cellphone. He was then stopped by the employee to pay. He proceeded to pay for it but was stopped by another person demanding to call the police, insisting that he was going to ‘cheat’ them and that is ‘what foreigners do’.

I think we have to be extremely careful of what we do in public now that the spotlight is on us. So be careful I guess.
I had my headphones on this morning so couldn’t hear anything what the guy was shouting about. Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.

There was also a post about someone who felt that people were Staring MORE than usual.

Second this. True, the news have always had a more negative slant view towards foreigners -I once compared how frequently we saw the tiniest slight was paraded while heroic actions, like saving a child from drowing, you know who you are nice Canadian couple, were downplayed or barely there. As an old timer, I do feel a change in the wind. And it stinks. Dunno if it is we’re influenced by the Other Side, or the economic situation presses the wrong buttons. It may just be us being a bit more self-conscious. Or that I read too much news. Anyways, foreigners are always easy targets as scapegoats. So tread carefully. Keep on truckin’, but watch your step. Just don’t go out of your way looking for trouble. There is little sympathy to be expected if you do anything foolish. From all sides.

BTW, that AIT news, it is still being aired. Same as the Dean incident -it is brought out constantly in the news even though there are no new happenings. So, the public memory is constantly “refreshed”.

i don’t watch a lot of news, I prefer reading them online… maybe that’s why I don’t really feel the news creating a narrative.

i hope it’s all just coincidence, and the locals aren’t really forming a collective opinion about foreigners one way or the other.

I haven’t experienced any change, and I think the perception of foreigners here is still largely positive and welcoming or at least fairly non judgmental. There really aren’t that many foreigners here to begin with.
The news media has always been quick to jump on any lurid stories with foreigners in it, that’s nothing new. The internet threads on foreign related things usually attract people with underlying prejudice, that’s the same in my home country aswell.

The Filipinos got a lot of heat for a while but I’d see that dying down quickly enough aswell as Taiwan needs foreigners, especially maids and foreign labourers.

The only change COULD BE a slight awakening of Taiwanese patriotism, although how deep and wide and united that is again I am not too sure.

Not as much forming as deforming… thanks to the news. If they read the paper, or watch TV, the idea that they get formed in their colective head is teh one they are being told… unless they personally know a foreigner and they can say “hey, my friend/my relative by marriage/my teacher/etc” is not like that.

I agree most people here have a positive attitude, but it is mostly those in positions of power who strangely have the worst perspective. Wonder why. :unamused:

The people in power have never been very positive to foreigners.
One reason is that they have travelled and worked or studied overseas and some lose the rose tinted views of foreigners they had to begin with.
Others see foreigners as being annoying and burdensome.
The KMT has never been overly friendly to foreigners (or non Chinese) of any persuasion, nor has the DPP for that matter when it comes to riling the masses up about American beef or some other such rubbish.

However I must say the current administration is actually a lot more pro ‘foreigner’ than previous ones, enacting significant changes to make it easier to live and work here. This could simply be the reality of globalisation pressures and the need for investment setting in.

sometimes I wonder if power attracts all the wrong personalities.

regarding American beef, DPP has never pointed the blame at the US, but instead at the weakness of the Ma administration. besides, if America wants to sell beef into a nation that doesn’t allow β-agonist to be tested positive, shouldn’t producing beef without β-agonist be the way to go? Why would forcing that said nation to change its own laws be the right course of action?

newest news regarding a foreigner
nownews.com/2013/06/19/138-2952628.htm

The poor Swedish Justin Bieber got beaten up (slapped in the face 3 times) by a girl who he had an one-night-stand with, but refuse to continue dating. He complains that Taiwanese women have very bad temper. He also said Taiwanese women will throw themselves at any good looking white male. The poor lad, at least he had the restraint not to hit back. The article described the girl as “buff”

There is such a thing as arbitrary regulation that limits trade. I’m not saying that’s the case here–I haven’t looked into it at all–but that would be one reason that could make it correct.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
There is such a thing as arbitrary regulation that limits trade. I’m not saying that’s the case here–I haven’t looked into it at all–but that would be one reason that could make it correct.[/quote]

The same rule is subjected to all Taiwanese animal farmers as well, not just for imports. Usually arbitrary regulations subjects import goods to stringent regulations, which gives the local product an advantage. So this isn’t one of those cases.

In fact, now that the law is made for American imports, Taiwanese local products are still not allowed to have any β-agonist. The Americans have all the advantages on this one.

[quote=“hansioux”]newest news regarding a foreigner

The poor Swedish Justin Bieber got beaten up (slapped in the face 3 times) by a girl who he had an one-night-stand with, but refuse to continue dating. He complains that Taiwanese women have very bad temper. He also said Taiwanese women will throw themselves at any good looking white male. The poor lad, at least he had the restraint not to hit back. The article described the girl as “buff”[/quote]

What did she expect? Any girl you have a quick one night stand with is not exactly relationship material.

Also keep in mind that an disabled butterfly with severe gout could probably knock old Justin out with a feeble wing flap.

Really random, just moments before I clicked on this thread, a young boy and his grandmother sat across from me on the train. She was elbowing toward him and gesturing to me, and speaking very intensely. The kid looked really uncomfortable.
Before I even opened this thread I thought- wow, she’s saying something bad about me to that kid. Why?

Maybe Ama takes the news a little too seriously.

But to be fair this is one of maybe 2 times I’ve experienced something like this in YEARS.

That’s irrelevant to my speculative argument. Leaving all else aside–the stuff could be rat poison for all I know, or air–if US beef includes this substance, yet local beef doesn’t, such a regulation will have the practical effect of limiting US imports and protecting local farmers.

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Really random, just moments before I clicked on this thread, a young boy and his grandmother sat across from me on the train. She was elbowing toward him and gesturing to me, and speaking very intensely. The kid looked really uncomfortable.
Before I even opened this thread I thought- wow, she’s saying something bad about me to that kid. Why?

But to be fair this is one of maybe 2 times I’ve experienced something like this in YEARS.[/quote]

I think she was trying to get him to speak English to you.

I don’t think either of these anecdotes have anything to do with media-driven changing perception of foreigners.

1. If you drive like an asshole, people are likely to tell you off. Nothing new here. Taiwanese get pissed when other Taiwanese do this too.

2. People get really upset over failing to pay and will call the cops if you don’t or if there is any risk that you might not. No big deal. The person who wanted to call the cops was an officious jerk. I still fail to see the connection to media images. There are lots of positive stories in the media about foreigners as well. They just don’t get mentioned on these boards much.

Having said that, Apple Daily’s big-lipped caricature of the African student and the comments from the Zhu Zhai-shen about the park not being a savannah were racist although perhaps not ill-willed.

[quote=“hs172”]
I honestly think all this is really having a negative effect on how the locals perceive foreigners. Some personal experiences & observances:

1. This Morning - Weaving in and out of Traffic on the way to work this morning and got a mouthful :fume: of Taiwanese slur and Gan Nin Ya’s from a driver.
    Everyone else in the damn road is doing oh but no, you’re a foreigner you might ‘kill’ someone.

2. Monday Evening - On Jianguo S. Road, saw a foreigner having an argument with a small restaurant owner/employee . I stopped, asked what was going on and how I could help. The guy accidentally forgot to pay at the counter and just walked out talking on his cellphone. He was then stopped by the employee to pay. He proceeded to pay for it but was stopped by another person demanding to call the police, insisting that he was going to ‘cheat’ them and that is ‘what foreigners do’.

.[/quote]

[quote=“hansioux”]newest news regarding a foreigner

The poor Swedish Justin Bieber got beaten up (slapped in the face 3 times) by a girl who he had an one-night-stand with, but refuse to continue dating. He complains that Taiwanese women have very bad temper. He also said Taiwanese women will throw themselves at any good looking white male. The poor lad, at least he had the restraint not to hit back. The article described the girl as “buff”[/quote]

Saw that one. Seriously. :unamused: Newsworthy it ain’t. :doh: Really, chasing the guy in and out a 7-11?! (the news camera crew, not the girl) :noway:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Really random, just moments before I clicked on this thread, a young boy and his grandmother sat across from me on the train. She was elbowing toward him and gesturing to me, and speaking very intensely. The kid looked really uncomfortable.

But to be fair this is one of maybe 2 times I’ve experienced something like this in YEARS.[/quote]

I think she was trying to get him to speak English to you.[/quote]

Agreed. Also a very common phenomena, especially telling by the poor kid’s reaction -says someon who was in those shoes many, many, many years ago…

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]

That’s irrelevant to my speculative argument. Leaving all else aside–the stuff could be rat poison for all I know, or air–if US beef includes this substance, yet local beef doesn’t, such a regulation will have the practical effect of limiting US imports and protecting local farmers.[/quote]

except there no real ways for consumers to know where the beef comes from in Taiwan. Sure, anyone can post a “Our beef comes from New Zealand” A4 print outs on their store front, but it isn’t regulated, and consumers just have to go on faith.

[quote=“hs172”]Everyone might be aware of all this media uproar over foreigners. From the AIT employee,the Sex in the park news to the Hit and Run guy who fled a while back.

I think we have to be extremely careful of what we do in public now that the spotlight is on us. So be careful I guess.
I had my headphones on this morning so couldn’t hear anything what the guy was shouting about. Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.

There was also a post about someone who felt that people were Staring MORE than usual.[/quote]

I’ve said this a million times on this forum.

The acts of other foreigners shouldn’t affect you, leave a mark on people as a person, if some can’t get over the foreigness of you, just walk away.

I’ve been here over a decade and never had a real dispute with anyone, and I am always into something or other. Also, as you know from my posts I can be a bit of a dick from time to time.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Really random, just moments before I clicked on this thread, a young boy and his grandmother sat across from me on the train. She was elbowing toward him and gesturing to me, and speaking very intensely. The kid looked really uncomfortable.

I think she was trying to get him to speak English to you.[/quote]

Agreed. Also a very common phenomena, especially telling by the poor kid’s reaction -says someon who was in those shoes many, many, many years ago…[/quote]

I can definitely see why you’d think that, from my brief description above. I too have had the, “speak English to that foreigner! do it! Do it!!!” thing happen to me more times than I can count.

This was not that.
Play by play: Gma and grandson (I assume) get on train, and gma looks up as she’s climbing aboard, catches sight of me, scowls and looks away. They sit across from me. She’s talking to him very intently, gesticulating (small movements) in my direction (you know when someone’s talking about you, even if you can’t hear them, eh?), and he’s darting embarrassed looks at me then distancing himself from her like, “Grandma, don’t make it obvious you’re talking about her!”

Very different than what I’ve seen when they want the kid to demonstrate the fruits of all those expensive English lessons :wink: which usually is less subtle and accompanied by smiles at me/looks of consternation if the child refuses.

But I shouldn’t have been so quick to post that- my experiences here have been OVERWHELMINGLY positive. To post about this one negative exchange is to slight a country that’s treated me very well. I just thought it was funny that that was happening as I was firing up my computer, and then next thing I saw was this post on Forumosa-- of course that may be why my brain links the two, but the thought, “She’s saying something bad about me,” came before I saw the thread title.

Anyways, of the hundreds of people I’ve seen today, her reaction to me was certainly in the minority. The vast majority of my exchanges are so solicitous and polite that I feel like a minor celebrity (I don’t live in Taipei so foreigner sightings are a little more noteworthy here).