Neighbours - I can't take it anymore

2 Likes

Please explain this.

You said yourself, it’s a cheap place. Well there’s your trade off.

Other than moving what else can you do? i had some neighbours poisoning rats, then throwing the dead rats outside my window (nothing personal, they just didn’t want them on their roof) i considered making a super broom by combining 3 brooms together and flinging them back on to their house or the street below but i came to my senses.

Like others have said, it’s a losing game when the other side already doesn’t give a crap.

5 Likes

Active-aggressive suggestions are not allowed :rofl:

Buy a set of bose sleepbuds 2, a box of melatonin or something stronger and a quality bottle of whisky. Have a nice sleep.

1 Like

Lots of Taiwanese are superstitious and take reports of deaths, ghosts, etc. seriously. If word got out that a particular property was haunted or the scene of a particular type of death (murder, suicide, etc.), it could seriously affect the value of the property. And you know how important property is to Taiwanese.

So… if you’re suspected of or caught spreading false information of this kind, there’s a good chance it will come back to haunt you as this, unlike noise, is the type of thing the Taiwanese won’t just ignore.

2 Likes

:rofl:

• counter attack with music. I can lay speakers and play some noise/music

If you do, it should be this on repeat. Or maybe a karaoke version in Mandarin – or Taigi! :microphone:

2 Likes

One Forumosa karaoke night and you will never see your neighbours again.
I always like to set the mood with this one

I swear I used to hear someone bouncing a ball on the ceiling every night when I lived in San Xia. New building too. Upstairs neighbors thought I was hearing things as they had no kids. In the end, the construction company just let the Thai workers out of the walls and paid them.

5 Likes

Terrible advice! It’s considered a death threat and if the OP did that, they can be charged with criminal intimidation and end up in jail…

2 Likes

Herr we go again. From 2 to know. All sort of subtle and not so subtle noises. Went out and could here them talking so I rang and knocked their door. They didn’t open. Back in the room and heard a few more knockings. Hard to tell what it is. I’m fed up.

What’s special about these envelopes?

How many floors are there?
Couldn’t you move to another floor?

Straight up, if you don’t know that, you’re culturally vastly under-equipped to deal with your neighbors.

And, for the love of God, please don’t go knocking on your neighbors doors in the middle of the night. For any reason. Please, just don’t do it.

Yes, moving is a good option. you can’t win, but you can lose very badly.

Thanks for your helpful insight. Nah, not really. I don’t think you need to study Confucius for getting a handle on the situation. It’s not about that.

Why, because I will wake them up? Oh, wait…

I’m certain they were awake and talking. 200% sure. Although last night I didn’t hrar the exact same noises once i was in front of their door, last Saturday night I did. So they should know I know. If I wait to the next morning they will try to pretend it wasn’t them, and kinda expect that I have to buy it. If I talk to them (or try to) when they are doing it I can play the “i caught you red handed wtf are you talking about” card.

how about a friendly card without an envelope? get someone you can trust to write a nice message in Chinese about the importance of sleep and of other people. start sending them under the door every time. perhaps you can quietly shame them into consideration late at night

ps. did you try white noise? some people mentioned that and i’m wondering how it is

Stuff like this is a waste of time. People who behave like this simply don’t care. Cards won’t make a difference. If anything, they’ll just make matters worse.

Also, isn’t embracing the passive aggressive way Taiwanese tend to deal with neighbor issues as a good example of Sanchong Syndrome?

I’d move out, there have to be better options elsewhere, even if you like the place. I would not let any neighbor disturb my peace at home, the place I can escape from the outside world.

1 Like

I like to think of it an non-confrontational, but my most recent ex agrees with you

I think that technology works well for a different type of noise. These could be described as short, knocking like in many cases, but all of them “sudden”. I think that those headphones work well with constant white/pink noise.

However the main problem with that is that I don’t think I can sleep with it on my head. I usually move a lot and then most of the times I sleep on my left side.