Neighbours let their alarm clocks ring for an hour

Hi everyone,

I have TWO neighbours who let their alarm clocks ring for 30 minutes, an hour, sometimes longer. I’ve tried everything I can to block the sound - ear plugs, closed windows, pillow over head - but I can still hear the damned things. Sometimes they ring at the same time, sometimes one earlier and the other later, and sometimes they start ringing at the nightmarish hour of 5am.

I don’t want to lose face by yelling at them from my balcony, but I’m getting close to losing my shit.

I pondered putting up signs but the problem is I don’t know which building they are in - mine, or the one across the lane.

Any advice other than “move”?

• Silly Canadian, Trix are for kids

Take advantage of it and get up early and enjoy the morning. :slight_smile:

Would this be because the first neighbour annoyed the second with a loud alarm, and the second one is retaliating with a louder alarm?

If so join in and escalate. You could be at Ground Zero for a phenomenon which takes over the whole island.

My first college roommate used to do that too. Once his alarm rang from six to nine in the morning.

[quote=“greenmark”]Would this be because the first neighbour annoyed the second with a loud alarm, and the second one is retaliating with a louder alarm?

If so join in and escalate. You could be at Ground Zero for a phenomenon which takes over the whole island.[/quote]

Maybe the person complaining about the alarm ringing at 5:00 am is the person keeping everyone up with his stereo or KARAOKE till 4:00 am.

Write a letter in Chinese to the offender. Point out the problem and let him/her know how much it bothers you. Photocopy it and stuff your neighbors’ mailboxes with it. Hopefully it’ll stop in a day or two.

“People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine.”
― Banksy

If that doesn’t work use knives to post the notes on their front doors. If that doesn’t work call the cops. If you live in Taipei City you can even use the English service to complain. If that doesn’t work tell them you have a friend that got out of the mental hospital staying with you, and although the prolonged noise of alarms doesn’t bother you you’re worried that your friend is becoming increasingly unstable from it. And if he were to lose control and kill them their families would have a difficult time suing him because he’s a mental patient.

Is the alarm ringing solidly for an hour or is it on snooze on goes off every few minutes for an hour? That’s what mine does. Takes me an hour or two to get up sometimes.