šŸš‡ Taipei - MRT | Neihu MRT to Keelung?

yeah. That free wifi is awful.

Numerical street names?

1 Like

Not enough commuter trains going that way? Or buses?

This was my thought. Keelung is already pretty well-connected to Taipei via multiple buses and the local train. MRT would be a bit of overkill.

Itā€™s more of a tram apparently. I donā€™t know if the train line is maxed out or not, I guess so.

I guess the buses are pretty full seeing as so many people live in Keelung and commute to Taipei for work. I always see long lines for them around get-off-work time. No idea how packed the trains might be, probably very.

Iā€™ve changed my mind. Itā€™s a good idea. But you know whatā€™s a better idea? Getting the rent situation in Taipei under control so people donā€™t feel compelled to find a more reasonably priced rental in Keelung.

Ah, this! Letā€™s just say it did not work out. Doh!

Guy

Maybe after that, we can resolve the Cross-Strait conflict :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keelung is a natural commuter city for Taipei. The same as Yokohama for Tokyo.
Keelung should be a much nicer place to live butā€¦Politics.

The problem with that tram line is how much it would cost. An insane amount of money for a marginal improvement. It would run along or above the existing train line and connect into Nangang station .

I canā€™t imagine Keelung getting much nicer in part because the weather is so impressively bad. In the winter it just rains nonstop for 6 weeks or more. Like this past Friday and Saturdayā€™s conditions, but for 6 weeks in a row. Taipeiā€™s rainy season sucks, but itā€™s actually baby stuff compared to Keelung.

I have some affection for it because itā€™s where I spent most of my childhood summers. But my god is it a hole.

1 Like

ā€¦ and weather!

Weather doesnā€™t help but thereā€™s a lot that could be done to make it more liveable , its probably the worst managed city in Taiwan.

I think the current plan is along the highway.

Latest English news I found . If they run more stops in Keelung city proper.it will be useful. If it just stopped at Keelung station it will be a waste of money.

1 Like

ā€œThe proposed NT$10.3 billion (US$340 million) rail link will transport commuters from Keelung City to Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center in about 30 minutes.ā€

You can drive from Keelung to Nangang in 15 minutes!

1 Like

That certainly died just as quicklyā€¦

I love the part at the end where a foreigner decries the thing that is supposed to make it easier as even more confusing.

ā€œThis is a practical issue. I donā€™t see how any additional names can be of any use,ā€ he said. ā€œA new system is bound to contribute to confusion, and thereā€™s too much trouble to learn all the new names.ā€ He also hit out at the current confusing spelling system.

Someone in the govt:

Hey! Letā€™s make improvements for foreigners but hear me out, we donā€™t ask any foreigners for assistance and just do what we think will work.

I always avoided dating Keelung girls because Iā€™m convinced they have webbed feet needed to swim through all that rain there

Just extend the HSR to Keelung for anyone whoā€™s willing to pay extra for the convenience. Busy business people will like it. Tourists with limited time will like it. It will put the letā€™s-make-another-rail-line talk to rest. The mer-people will get more humans to sacrifice to Neptune. Win-win-win-win! :rainbow:

1 Like

I never heard anything about that. They seem to be putting on the existing rail line from Nangang. One of Pres Tsais pet projects .

Theres some legislator proposing about extending the shijr MRT up to Keelung but it seems very much pie in the sky at present. Min Shijr MRT still hasnt even been approved ,.or at the least the budget hasnā€™t.

Have you been spending time in north China lately? If so, it seems to be affecting your pronunciation. : D

Guy

2 Likes

Yeah I gave up shijr, xizhi doesnā€™t look right anyway you cut it. :grin: