Neosporin or equivalent

Toddler son got bit on the face by a mosquito 2 weeks ago. He kept scratching it and breaking open the scab. I’ve tried cleaning it and bandaging it, but it never healed. He broke it open again last night.

Is there neosporin or equivalent in Taiwan? It usually heals wounds faster.

I asked the local pharmacy, but they had no idea what neosporin is.

1 Like

Spersin Ointment

複方藥品,每條藥膏共有10公克,每公克含有以下成份:
Bacitracin 400單位
Polymyxin B sulfate 5000單位
Neomycin sulfate 3.5毫克

5 Likes

Definitely no Neosporin (the brand) in Taiwan. I even asked at Costco once – they only sell it in the US. But I have used Taiwanese bacitracin (as tando posted) and it works fine.

1 Like

How much is said cream?

FYI, there’s not really any good evidence that neosporin helps wounds heal faster - petroleum jelly is as effective if you want to keep the wound from drying out. A not insignificant amount of people are allergic to neomycin, so polysporin or bacitracin cream might be better if you want something with an antibiotic.

1 Like

Bought it for $150 this morning

good point.
I was said the cream is good when the wound festers.

Hydrocolloid bandaids (人工皮) are the greatest things on earth for wound healing, assuming the wound is not infected. (which is not the case here obviously). I got them from the hospital (Chang Gung?) for NT$30/10cmx10cm sheet. I had serious road rash and the less deep wounds healed almost completely in 2 days with 人工皮 (though the deeper wounds have scars, three years later now). I don’t know why or how they aren’t used everywhere by everyone. It was shocking how quickly everything healed up by being under consistent moisture levels and totally blocked from outside dirt and germs the whole time they were healing.

2 Likes