NEPAL: where is it headed?

Well that fucking sucks!!! :fume:

[quote]Washington ordered all non-emergency US Embassy staff and family members to leave Nepal today after opposition parties leading street protests against the rule of King Gyanendra called for a decisive show of strength.

The State Department also advised all other American citizens that they should leave the Himalayan kingdom “as soon as possible” because US diplomats were no longer in a position to protect them.

The evacuation order - seen as a signal that the situation in Nepal could deteriorate sharply - came on the 19th day of strikes and violent protests in which at least 14 people have been killed, and hundreds more injured. [/quote]

My brother just adopted a baby boy from Nepal. He has flown to and from Nepal several times to complete the process. On this last visit he arrived in Kathmandu in mid-December and after many bureaucratic struggles the Nepal government finally approved the adoption, granted my brother and his wife legal rights in the boy, and he was released from the orphanage to my brother.

But then the US government indicated that they will probably deny the application for a visa for they boy, so my bro was forced to hire attorneys in the US and Nepal to assist. He has now been there for over 4 months, the boy has lived with him all this time and is clearly his son. A deep and mutual, emotional bond has formed between them after the year of processing the application, several visits, and 4 months living together.

Now Nepal has deteriorated into chaos, all Americans are being ordered to leave, but my brother CANNOT leave, because the US government refuses to allow his son to enter the country with him. He has to stick it out in Nepal for god knows how long. Moreover, all the people he needs to help him complete the visa application process for his son and himself – the embassy employees, attorneys and all the witnesses from the orphanage, the hospital, etc – have either fled the country or are prohibited to come out to work for fear of getting shot (one lawyer from whom he needed a declaration was badly beaten by the police, so my bro brought him get-well presents when he made his business call to him). Maybe my brother could leave if he left his son behind, but there’s no way in hell he would do that. The boy is now clearly, permanently, irrevocably his son.

Fucking crazy. Might be a good movie in the story, but that’s not what he wants. He just wants to take his son and go home – what he’s been struggling to do for so damned long. And it doesn’t look like it’ll be getting any better in coming weeks or even months. :fume:

WOOHOO!!!

[quote]April 24

Somebody is smoking some crack. China is not going to watch an outright invasion by India go by, considering these are two countries that barely get along (mostly due to India wanting to extract some form of revenge for losing in 1962) and haven’t even finalized their existing borders.

Also, wouldn’t China be arming the rebels, not the king, if the supposition is that India were to suppress them? The logic is flawed. Most likely, nothing big will be allowed to happen.

These Moaoists are of the “Pol Pot” variety…interesting to see the support they have on Forumosa.com.

[quote]US asks Nepal king to stay out of politics
04.25.2006, 12:52 AM

WASHINGTON (AFX) - The United States called on Nepal’s embattled king to stay out of politics completely as Washington welcomed his pledge to restore the country’s parliament.

‘We believe that he should now hand power over to the parties and assume a ceremonial role in his countrys governance,’ Adam Ereli, deputy State Department spokesman, said after King Gyanendra announced his latest move to end 19 days of violent street protests.

Gyanendra, who took absolute power last year after sacking a government he declared corrupt and incapable of battling Maoist insurgents, agreed late yesterday to reinstate the parliament dissolved in 2002.

But Washington wanted an assurance from the monarch that he is ready to return to a ceremonial role in the Himalayan kingdom where he had imposed a series of curfews to try to quell the protests.

‘What’s important is not only that parliament be restored and power be handed over to the political parties,’ said a senior State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

He said the US administration is hoping ‘that some commitment be made that would prevent a repeat of the events of 2005,’ when the king took complete control of the government.

Ereli called on Nepals political parties to ‘step up to their responsibilities and cooperate to turn people’s demand for democracy and good governance into reality.’

He also said that after 10 years of fighting, Maoist rebels ‘must end their violent attacks and join a peaceful political process.’

‘Through these steps, stability, peace and democracy can be restored in Nepal,’ Ereli said, adding that the US and the international community stand ready to help.

Following the king’s shoot-to-kill orders for security forces during curfews, at least 14 people were reported dead in clashes since April 6. Hundreds were injured and even more arrested.

Regretting the loss of life and injuries, Ereli called upon Nepals security forces ‘to show the utmost restraint in responding, should any further demonstrations occur.’

Speaking earlier before Gyanendra’s announcement, Ereli had stressed the need for permanent elections and a permanent government in Nepal.

‘Clearly, the status quo is untenable,’ Ereli said, expressing concern about the unrest he said had broken out after the monarch ‘subverted the democratic process.’

The US embassy in Kathmandu yesterday ordered the families of its diplomats to leave Nepal as opposition leaders planned a huge rally.

The embassy expressed concern over dwindling supplies, a shortage of medical expertise, the continuing protests and the sometimes ‘violent measures’ used by the regime to break them up.

In a statement, it warned that other American citizens ‘should also depart Nepal as soon as possible’.
forbes.com/work/feeds/afx/20 … 93630.html[/quote]

MT, since no-one seems to have said it yet, I’d just like to wish your bro all the very best. I don’t know him at all, of course, but he and his son are in my thoughts.

Thanks sandman. He has some good lawyers working on the case and I’m confident they’ll eventually succeed.

TC, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

As far as I know the maoists are nothing like the pol pot regime (and the article you posted doesn’t suggest they are in any way). They aren’t advocating killing of wealthy, educated and professional people and they’re not into mass torture and executions. That’s not to say they’re not violent. They’ve been attacking rural police outposts for years, killing policemen and soldiers. But as far as I know their acts of violence are directed almost exclusively at the government that they’re trying to overthrow, not at ordinary people as in the case of pol pot.

Nor has anyone supported the maoists on forumosa, as far as I know, other than one person: king wu. If you believe I was supporting the maoists then read again. I believe they’d make a terrible government for the nepali people and I think most nepalis feel the same way (which I already stated). Instead, I am simply in favor of the mass public outrising to overthrow the king who seized power and did away with various democratic rights of the people. I support the peoples’ struggle for democracy.

Contrary to TC’s dire warnings, most people in Nepal do not support the Maoists and the Maoists have not taken over the government. Admittedly, the Maoists remain a serious concern, but a huge victory was scored for civil rights and democracy two days ago, when the coalition of parties forced the king to step down and reinstate the parliament.

[quote]April 25