Net2phone

For me the best thing about these net2phone type services is the facility to have a phone in Taiwan (even if hooked up over the computer) with a local number overseas.

Of course, videochat is cheaper. And of course, there are all kinds of calling cards which people can use both here and overseas which reduce the cost of the call to next-to-nothing.

But let’s face it, there are many, many people in our social and business circles in our home countries who just will not easily use anything except a normal telephone for a national call.

I like the net2phone plan but, for Europe, they offer a toll-free UK number only and it seems you have to buy their equipment.

There is a company called iconnecthere.com which has normal local numbers in eight or nine European countries and you don’t have to buy their equipment. Does anyone have experience of using them? How easy is it to set everything up?

The issue I think I will have is that I am using a Cable Phone from Asia Pacific (the old Dong Sen). I think they are using similar or the same technology in the first place so it may not be possible to configure the terminal adapter (not sure if this is the right term) without losing my internet and local phone number.

Any advice appreciated! :slight_smile:

For those looking for phone card accounts for their US friends to call Taiwan, I highly recommend onesuite.com/ which has been cheap, reliable and very convenient for me. Unlike most other phone cards, you can actually log in and check what you’ve used up, so you aren’t wondering “hey did I really use up my minutes so quick”?