Netflix is here! and it no longer sucks

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but while we are on the subject of online streaming stuff, what do people use here to watch local Taiwanese or mainland television online? For mainland stuff, a lot of it is region blocked on tudou, pptv, etc. For Taiwanese tv shows, I have no idea what to use…

^My suggestion is not to watch any Taiwanese shows as they are all absolute garbage.

There are quite a lot of Chinese shows on youtube.

1 Like

I am also interested in this matter. Haven’t managed to watch todou videos yet.

Reason to have Netflix? To watch shows they don’t show in Taiwan and escape from these horrible Taiwan TV productions.
Netflix not working on Android? I should tell this my mobile and tablet that they do something wrong. :smiley:
Bought recently a new router to have a VPN on the router, so I can watch TV shows from US and stream to my Chromestick to watch it on TV.
Works perfectly in good HD quality with 5.1 sound.

[quote=“tom1807”]Reason to have Netflix? To watch shows they don’t show in Taiwan and escape from these horrible Taiwan TV productions.
Netflix not working on Android? I should tell this my mobile and tablet that they do something wrong. :smiley:
Bought recently a new router to have a VPN on the router, so I can watch TV shows from US and stream to my Chromestick to watch it on TV.
Works perfectly in good HD quality with 5.1 sound.[/quote]

Works fine on my Android phone to, and on my lovely new Chromecast 2! What VPN are you using at the moment? See any impact from Netflix recent statement on banning VPN’s?

I use VyprVPN comes free with my newsgroup provider.
No impacts at all, it’s quite funny to see what is offered in other languages and how they provide also localized subtitles

[quote=“Gain”]Get hola then you can use American Netflix.

And torrent is always your friend.[/quote]

Agree with the above post.

Netflix has become very good for TV series and has made some great shows of their own. They are getting stronger. The movies were never that great really but they have improved of late.

So it looks like Netflix will be carrying Star Trek!

Netflix has the everywhere-but-Canada-and-US rights to the new show, which will air starting in January 2017; and it looks like they now have worldwide rights to all the other Star Trek shows too. I believe they’re all on US Netflix already, but not Taiwan-Netflix, and for me at least Netflix successfully killed the pretend-you’re-somewhere-else options that I was using earlier in the year.

hollywoodreporter.com/news/c … rek-911872

[quote=“lostinasia”]So it looks like Netflix will be carrying Star Trek!

Netflix has the everywhere-but-Canada-and-US rights to the new show, which will air starting in January 2017; and it looks like they now have worldwide rights to all the other Star Trek shows too. I believe they’re all on US Netflix already, but not Taiwan-Netflix, and for me at least Netflix successfully killed the pretend-you’re-somewhere-else options that I was using earlier in the year.

hollywoodreporter.com/news/c … rek-911872[/quote]

Yes. They have the whole Star Trek in the ol country. :fume:

However, it is missing the animated series. I luv the animated Star Trek series.

I can confirm Hola is no longer working. Drats.

Hmm. I haven’t looked into this for a while, but it looks like even Smartflix is no longer working. That was a good service for a while, but (a) it was only useable on a computer, not a TV, and (b) I didn’t want to put money into something until the dust had settled on Netflix’s crackdown. And it looks like that dust has settled, and it’s back to other sources for content.

Bummer. For a month or two there I was consuming content (semi-) legitimately. It was nice.

Yeah, I’ve been on local content for a while now. It ain’t too bad.

I’m on a combination of local Netflix and material purchased or rented from iTunes Canada (which is still violating terms of service, but iTunes Taiwan doesn’t sell TV shows). I tend to watch TV shows like I read novels - 1-2 hours per evening until I’ve finished that season, then maybe nothing else for a week or two - so it’s working out reasonably well for me.

A couple of times I’ve “obtained” TV shows that I’ve already purchased because my wife discovered she liked the show, and wanted Chinese subtitles.

I really liked “Jessica Jones” on Netflix. “Daredevil” Season 1 was solid; the reviews I’ve seen of Season 2 haven’t encouraged me to continue with it. I keep meaning to get around to “Orange is the New Black.” And I’m slowly, slowly rewatching “Raiders of the Lost Ark” for the umpteenth time, in 10-15 minute intervals while waiting for my wife to get ready to head out for dinner or finish in the shower or whatever on different days.

For what it’s worth here’s a complete list (as of today) for what’s available on Netflix Taiwan:
taiwan.netflixable.com/2016/07/c … ul-16.html
(That site is weird and puts up a new list every day or two, and it always takes me a while to find the newest one!)

The first few seasons of Orange was good. The latest one kinda started to drag. Currently on House of Cards, Narcos, Black Sails and Dr. House. There’s definitely enough shows to keep me busy for a long time.

Narcos Season 2 is pretty hardcore. I thought E1 was something but E3 was riveting.

2 Likes

Just watched E5 last night. Great show! And you’re right about E3…wow!!

Kind of sucks that I can watch some shows with my USA Netflix account when in Europe or USA, but they are blocked in Taiwan. Stumbled upon Downton Abbey and binge watched a bit, but then back in Taiwan, it’s not available.

It had French subtitles available in France.

Yea, yea, yea I know, use VPN. That’s next, I’ve tried quite a few but haven’t found a good free one I’m comfortable with.

1 Like

Yeah. There’s quite a few shows i wish were available here as well.

Penny dreadful is pretty good on Netflix here

1 Like

Netflix cracked down hard on VPNs about a year ago. They worked great for the first few months Netflix was here, and were easy to use, but all the ones I was using stopped working. I gather it’s still possible, but more difficult than it used to be. Plus, well, I wouldn’t trust a free VPN, and I’m not sure I’d trust a paid one that worked either, since any VPN working hard enough to bring you Netflix is already in a quite a gray market area.