Neutral North American Accent?

The way you guys pronounce the vowel in “no” is very interesting though, especially when it’s one of those emphatic noes.

My friends from Midlands England have a distinctive “no”

It’s like how Korean always sounds complainy.

Basically imagine an exponentially-rising logarithmic graph, now match the tone of the ‘oh’ to that graph

noooo000000OOOO

OOOOO

I’ve been so used to hearing the R’s never thought about, yes hear it a lot.
My ex wife from Boston, we had a dog named Bonzo, she couldn’t get it right would sound like BWonzo. Ended up all friends and family calling him bwonzo

2 Likes

It’s a pretty unique feature of Australian English. All of our long o’s are the same.

I can’t really pronounce a long o any other way so my students I’ve taught for years all have a bit of an Australian accent :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My wife spent a couple summers with her relatives in Australia in her teens, and she still pronounces “no” like that sometimes when she gets excited. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

However, I’ve heard the English say “Indonees-ER” and India “Indee-er”!

I usually only say it like that when the following word is “is” or just generally when the next word begins with a vowel. It becomes something like India-r-is.

3 Likes

This is standard isn’t it? I’ve had to teach connected speech before. ‘I do it’ has a w like I doowit

Would that be a mid-Atlantic accent?

Yes! Thank you so much!

The fucking Intrusive R. I recall it.

Your YouTube video reminded me that many years ago I learned about it, but had forgotten.

Listen up folks, don’t you dare intrude with an R where it doesn’t belong or you’ll get an earful from me. Additionally, you see an R, you had bettah pronounce it or I’ll smoke in front of a no smoking sign!

1 Like

Yeah that startled me at first. I initially tried to say “ABT” upon coming here but many didnt get it.

I have a South african colleague who accentuates those “r” sounds. It irritates the fuck out of me.
So many Saffers arrived here many moons ago (a lot of them with Afrikaans as a first language) and were told by their bosses at kindy that they had to teach with an “American accent”. They really took it to heart and started speaking day-to-day English in what they supposed was an American accent. Jesus, it grates my scrotum. They sound like Dutch immigrants with cerebral palsy and vocal defects, who have been smashed repeatedly in the head with hammers.

2 Likes

This is why I never attempt to fake any accent. I speak English as a first language and a standard variety at that so there’s nothing wrong with my pronunciation.
I’d sound bloody awful faking American :joy:

This is all reminding me of My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn.

Talking with saffers always makes me feel better about my accent.

2 Likes

They sound very similar to Kiwis to me

Saffers don’t clip the vowel sounds like Kiwis. English speakers sound more like Aussies. Afrikaners sound like mentally challenged Dutchmen.

I’m amazed it’s taken this long for kiwis to be brought into the discussion.

I disagree with you, though.

2 Likes

To he honest I’ve only met 2 South Africans and both were excessively wealthy (I used to the the travel agent for ASX100 companies’ CEOs, these saffers were the assistants)

Maybe it was a cultivated version of a South African accent and that’s more Kiwiesque? They’d also lived in Australia for decades so it could have been toned down a bit

As an Aussie, I totally disagree with this :joy::joy:

I dunno. When I ask students where I’m from they usually say Australia or England. But I don’t have a particularly strong South African accent.

1 Like