Never a blonde-haired Taiwan citizen?

So now Legislator Chen Xue-sheng is going to help open up more permanent residence. OK, but we must ask, has there ever been a non black hair-by birth Taiwan citizen, and would such a concept disturb them?

I am a brown-haired caucasian and my husband is Taiwanese. I gave birth to my first daughter in Taiwan. She has dual citizenship and two passports. And she has brown hair like her mama.

PS, since my husband is Taiwanese, my children are considered Taiwanese-so it’s no big deal. Except for Paogao, I know of no caucasian men who are Taiwan citizens. I believe it is still the case that a foreigner can not have dual Taiwan/home country citizenship. If caucasian men suddenly started giving up their home country citizenship, getting Taiwan citizenship and siring bonde-haired children who then were Taiwan citizens, I think many Taiwanese would feel flattered.

I personally know of one other caucasian man who has obtained ROC citizenship, but he was born in mainland China, to missionaries, and he only obtained his ROC ID when he was in his late 40’s, so he didn’t have to do military service. He was originally British, I believe.

There could be, probably are others; I just haven’t met them.

Not white but I know of one Sri Lanken origin person and one guy whose father was Afro American but whose mother was a local (but he looks a lot more African than Taiwanese) who both of whom have Taiwan “shen fen zheng”.

Chen Xuesheng NOT Chen Xue-sheng. Dan, you of all people should know that Hanyu Pinyin NEVER uses hyphens. Apostrophes are used when there would be confusion as in Xi’an vs. xian.

Preserve the purity and beauty of Hanyu Pinyin! Death to Wade-Giles!

It has been an agonizing week. I have typed a dash into a hanyu pinyin name and have been found out. My leadership skills have been challenged. Each day passes with me thinking “how shall I deal with this problem”.

The dash doesn’t go away whether I use netscape or lynx [text based browser, nice and fast, no graphics though, a real hit with blind users, who use a text-> sound system.]

Indeed “how could it have been me who typed the dash”? Alzheimers so early [41]? For pops it started at 55…

OK, “let’s just move on”, then, and change the subject, like Yu Boquan.

Did you know shifty “tongyong pinyin” inventor Yu Boquan was legislator Chen Xuesheng’s high school classmate?

I think it’s a good thing, especially when you speak of democracy and pro-independance, certainly would help with more EU and American/Commonwealth residing in Taiwan wouldn’t it? And of course intermarriage is a beautiful thing, many exclamate that divorces are more common in inter-marriages, might be true but there’s no accurate statistical data to back up that, however I can tell you if you look at the descendants of intermarriages they all look quite nice. For example of the Asian-Caucasian breed, referred by the new terminology, not yet accepted “Euro-Asians”, take a look at Keanu Reeves and superman Dean Cain, I could list tons other, such as Kristin Kreuk and Fai Shiang, etc. but I’ll stop here. Of course keep up the good work paogao and V, wish you the best in your marriages and new identity! :wink:

Why would Taiwan be flattered? What is so special about blonde hair ppl? brainwashed? … they are as ugly, idiotic, and stupid as the next person…lol

Taiwan should be very flattered, as the thing on offer isn’t all that enticing. For foreign males, Taiwanese citizenship means a nearly useless passport (at least a lot of visa applications when travelling abroad), 2 years in a so-so military (possibly together with people like you :frowning: ) and no bolthole, should a war break out. (As present racist policies seem to prevent naturalized Taiwanese to get second passports)

Taiwanese are getting second passports in droves - thereby showing to the world how valuable an ROC passport is.

When giving out graduation prizes at the brother-in-law’s kindergarden graduation a few years ago, there was one 5 year old chinese boy with completely blond hair. It turned out his great great grandmother had been married to a Dutch guy in the dim and distant and he had received the appropriate genes. Bet that caused some discussion between the parents in the maternity ward!

Correct me if I read it wrong, but, a born Taiwanese can get a second passport, but a naturalized Taiwanese can’t?

Is this right? if so, on what bases? I’m sure there must be some argument for it, though I can’t think of any.

[quote=“Holger Nygaard”](As present racist policies seem to prevent naturalized Taiwanese to get second passports)

[/quote]

Is Danish naturalization policy any less racist? a lot of countries have complex citizenship requirements…why would you feel the need to label it as racist?

I would say so. There are tonnes of Taiwanese with dual citizenship. A guy like Poagao has to renounce his US one in order to get a Taiwanese passport. That’s racist.

Danish rules are restrictive. No dual citizenships (unless you are born with both citizenships). That goes for all, born and naturalized. If I for instance managed to get a a Taiwanese passport while holding on to my Danish one, I would be in deep doodoo if discovered by Danish authorities.

Not necessarily. I could theoretically apply for another citizenship now. Anyone wanna sponsor me as a test case?

As I understand it, it’s the order you get them, not the race. Unless you count ABC’s who get citizenship because of their race and don’t have to renounce anything.

I think the main argument I’ve heard calling Taiwan’s immigration laws racist is the fact that a person of Chinese descent from an ‘advanced’ country can apparently have an ID card issued to him in one year, without renouncing his previous passport. (Even those whose relatives went to the US in the 1860’s apparently are qualified.) Yet if you are not of Chinese descent, you must first give up your previous passport. This is solely based on race; not language ability, family members in Taiwan, etc.

Please correct me if I’m wrong about this; it’s what I’ve heard from several sources.

[quote=“Holger Nygaard”]

I would say so. There are tonnes of Taiwanese with dual citizenship. A guy like Poagao has to renounce his US one in order to get a Taiwanese passport. That’s racist.[/quote]

The US in theory requires you to renounce your citizenship from other countries when you are naturalized as well. In fact, they don’t enforce it. I have heard that they used to track people down and strip your citizenship if they suspected you “had allegiance” to another country or tried to get citizenship in another country. However, based on several Supreme Court rulings and the fact that there are just too many dual citizens in the US, the INS doesn’t really care anymore unless you take a high policy position in another country (like president or prime minister) or act against the US as a member of the Taliban or some other terrorist organization.

Denmark also requires you to renounce any previous allegiances when you’re naturalized. How strictly they enforce that I don’t know.

Actually, almost every country I’ve heard of makes you renounce your previous citizenship during naturalization except for Israel. [Moderator’s note: this information is incorrect.] The level of enforcement of this varies by country.

Once you’re a Taiwan citizen, you can then pursue additional citizenship in another country just like natives who were born here. There are immigration companies that specialize in such matters.

As for the ethnically Chinese thing, there was a long thread before about if being Chinese helped in getting citizenship, but I wasn’t paying much attention to it. Maybe someone can dig it up again.

Flipper,

I could be wrong, but I do not think the US ever enforced the renunciation of foreign alliegance stated during the naturalization ceremony. In fact, I think that renunciation was merely ceremony and never was codified law in the US.

There have been cases in the past where people have been stripped of their citizenship. the INS has not always been so non-chalant about it. Here’s a website with everything you ever wanted to know about dual citizenship as it applies to US citizens:

richw.org/dualcit/

supreme court rulings, laws passed by congress, and a change in outlook by the INS has made the sworn allegiance part of the citizenship oath symbolic, but things were NOT always this way.

Most countries don’t have laws that forbid citizens to seek citizenship in another country. BUT they may interpret the fact that you take an oath of allegiance to a foreign country to mean that you are giving up your citizenship. In any case, this applies whether you are a born citizen or naturalized, so to go back to the original question, I don’t see this as racist unless someone can show me some laws that target naturalized citizens specifically.