Never a blonde-haired Taiwan citizen?

They are strict in Denmark, unless you obtain two citizenships based on birth.

[quote=“Flipper”][quote=“Holger Nygaard”]

I would say so. There are tonnes of Taiwanese with dual citizenship. A guy like Poagao has to renounce his US one in order to get a Taiwanese passport. That’s racist.[/quote]

Actually, almost every country I’ve heard of makes you renounce your previous citizenship during naturalization except for Israel. The level of enforcement of this varies by country.[/quote]

The Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom do not. I think the law in Australia has now been amended to allow assumption of a nationality in addition to Australian. Mind you I’ve been Australian since 1973 and no-one has ever batted an eyelid about my multiple nationalities. What is with this swearing allegiance stuff ? What exactly does it mean ? I’ve never sworn allegiance to anywhere and yet have three nationalities. Am I more or less likely to show allegiance to any of these places than someone who has sworn an oath ? And why haven’t MI6 offered me a job yet ?

Canada’s cool with dual nationalities, no matter if they were obtained prior to or after obtaining Canadian citizenship.

[quote]Not necessarily. I could theoretically apply for another citizenship now. Anyone wanna sponsor me as a test case?
[/quote]

The issue of Taiwanese citizens obtaining foreign nationality, and hence becoming “dual nationals” is not at all theoretical, but is a commonly known fact of life.

Based on this and all other relevant considerations, I fail to see any advantage which would be gained to the members of the segue.com.tw community, or to the larger expatriate community in Taiwan, by sponsoring you (being a Taiwan citizen) as a test case in such a matter.

Why the hell would anyone want to obtain Taiwan citizenship? If you did become a Taiwanese citizen, your home country wouldn’t strip you of your native country’s passport because of “dual-citizenship”. They would take away your passport because they’d be afraid you would get stinky beancurd stains on it . . . .

"There is no hyphen in the word “patriot”, and no compass points on the map of high-treason.
–Thomas Jefferson

I thought the reference to beancurd was cute. I guess that was one of my more sober moments. Thanks. As time goes on, everyone will realize I’m too much of an devil’s advocate to say something nice without a good reason.

Every upper-class Taiwanese I’ve ever talked to has bragged proudly about the relatives they have who’ve made it to LA or SanFran permanently. I think that says something about how valuable Taiwanese citizenship is. Granted living standards are high, but having most of the world not even think you’re a real country, and having a senile deranged wanna-be superpower across the straits wanting a piece of you are kinda two jumbo downsides, the compulsory military service coming in a close third.

I still think Japanese citizenship is really the only truly golden citizenship on this continent. Every country ushers Japanese in on a red rug, no visas no searches no hassles. And why not? They’re the perfect tourists – they stay chill and low key, they don’t attract terrorists, they don’t use or carry drugs, and just spend truckloads of cash wherever they go. Every half-Japanese person I’ve ever known, including ones who’ve been raised Western and had little contact with Japan, has treasured that little blue chyrsanthemum-sealed document like it was made of solid gold, and traveled on it (in lieu of an American passport) whenever possible.

Never been to Freak St, Paharganj, Goa or Koh Pangan have you? :shock:

as much as the world hates america, the american passport is still pretty damn nice. travelled around eastern europe and it was funny when the aussies and canadians would slow us down at the borders at some of the countries which required visas from them. some of the eastern european countries are miffed that canada and australia require their citizens to get a visa so they force them to get visas. but what about the us? the us requires a ton of countries to get visas, too. well, the us is special…so just flash that us passport and you get waved through. :slight_smile:

except in unique cases like visiting a handful of communist countries or dual citizens returning to their other home country, i’ve never known anyone to avoid using their us passport because of inconvenience.

americans don’t need visas to go to prague, but canadians and japanese passport holders do. :slight_smile:

Irish and Finnish citizenship are pretty peachy too. They’re rich, militarily neutral countries. They have no multinationals destroying ways of life in the third world, so pretty much nobody hates them. They’re small, so people in lots of places haven’t heard much about them, good or bad. Their tourists have a reputation for being well-behaved. They’re members of the EU, so there’s a lot less red tape for the Eastern Bloc (and none at all for the Western Bloc!)

To anyone out there who has a parent or grandparent who is/was an Irish citizen, I’d encourage you to apply for citizenship in Ireland. Not a bad passport to carry at all. Specially if you wanted to hit up North Korea or Iraq (why?).
Don’t know if Finland has a similar law – the Finns haven’t sown their wild oats quite so far and wide as the Irish. But I’m sure one of Finnish ancestry could probably get a passport there without much hassle.

Hum, Dave, my great grandfather was Finnish, my grandfather was born in Canada, and then naturalized in the States… but if I get a Finnish Citizenship do I have to work for Nokia?

I think in Ireland there is a grandfather/grandmother rule. If one of these had an irish passport you are entitled to one too…All you Canadian, Aussies and Americans out there get researching, it could be your ticket to working in ireland and the EU! We are also one of the only countries in the world that allow right of residence for the family after a child is born in the country…hence so many nigerian women floating about the place these days with big bumps. I’ll stop right there.

The grandfather rule…That is how the only ‘Irishman’ in space, Michael Collins (of all names) was entitled to his record. Anybody have a spare 20 million USD, I want to be the first real one up…you can have the rights to the documentary as long as I don’t need to drink pepsi, coca cola is my drink. MAybe I can get guiness so sponsor me…hmmmmmmmmmm

the grandfather rule seems to work for the international footballers also…

I’m not too sure on the whole dual passports thingy.
I heard it wasn’t that easy. I know Northern Ireland it’s almost fait d’accompli but in the republic it might be a little more difficult.

I used to get a laugh out of my rebublican friend who studied in England using a grant from his british identity and renentered the US on his British passport when his Irish visa expired, handy one that. The Irish passport is alright for all those arab countries…the old ex-cololial brotherhood or something…however some countries will be scratching their heads a little too but usually figure it’s alright with the EU stamp on it. Also the irish passport is good for temporary commonwealth and american working visas…it’s allowed me to work in lots of places.

There are drawbacks to having a small nations passport too in that bigger countries like US and UK often can negotiate longer term visas for their citizens and of course have better embassy services.
If I want to sort a problem out from Taiwan you must talk to the Bejing or Hong Kong consulate or basically go home. From what I hear most ‘trade offices’ in Taiwan are useless anyway.

It’s people like Hartzell that do the real work.

irelandemb.org/press/185.html

www.justice.ie