New 125 scooter recommendations 30-50k range

I’ve been thinking of going Dio, Jockey, or Duke. I originally wanted a Vino 125, but I was told they don’t make them anymore and parts are a bitch to come by. One Yamaha shop was trying to pawn off the new GTR F1 on me. He said 60k for the bike but 10k to put it on a payment plan. I’m not really down for that. I am thinking whatever type of scooter I buy, I want to pay for it straight up. I don’t like paying such a large amount of money as an extra thing. I am renting a scooter, a black dio, and am going on my third month with it. I pay 1500 for a month, but this scooter is having battery problems, and leaks oil all over everywhere. I think it really is time to get some real suggestions, and take some earnest looks at procurring a new mode of transportation.

Thanks for any suggestions.

J_

Hey There,

If you plan on spending a few years in Taiwan or more, I would stay away from all fully Taiwan made scooters. They may look trick but are far from that.

Your budget puts you 8~10K short of getting a decent machine from Yamaha. I would suggest getting the Cygnus 125 4V. They sell new for about 58,000$NT and it’s assembled here with 50% of parts made in Taiwan and 50% of the parts made in Japan. It’s sold here, in Japan and in Europe so it meets higher standard than the usual local machines (exept Kymco Dink 125 & 250 which are also sold in Europe).

There are 2 version of the cygnus in production at this point…

-Cygnus FI (Fuel injected, more expensive)
&
-Cygnus X Evolution (carburated and updated this year with a better carb and CDI)

I would stay away from the FI version just because it’s unnecessarily expensive and wht good does fuel injection do to a mono cylinder scooter?

The carburated version has performed well for me and has been euqlly reliable. (Both my wife and I have one.) They are easy to maintain and they come with a decent warranty.(1 year for anything that fails and 5 years for engine internals. This warranty applies as long as you go to a YSP “Yamaha Service Plaza” or authorized dealer for your regular 1000k services.

In turn, they are a hot item in Taiwan and keep a good resale value for well maintained examples. So your discrepency of 8k shouldn’t stop you from making a wise purchase. Most Kymco and SYM scooters start to look bad real fast and I’ve seldom seen any shining examples on the road.

There are a few others on this board that ride the Cygnus so they will probably put in their .02 cents worth.

I hope this helps with your quest for a new scooter. PM me or post any questiosn you may have.

Cheers

I told a friend of mine who is a mechanic that I was looking for a scooter. And he looked at me very seriously and said “Make sure it’s a yamaha.”

I’ve never really noticed a difference between the brands. But I’m slowly starting to develope the generalization that Yamahas are just…“better”.

I also have a Cygnus…it’s good.

[quote=“Mordeth”]I told a friend of mine who is a mechanic that I was looking for a scooter. And he looked at me very seriously and said “Make sure it’s a yamaha.”

So should I go for the GTR F1 at $60,000?

[quote=“jason242”][quote=“Mordeth”]I told a friend of mine who is a mechanic that I was looking for a scooter. And he looked at me very seriously and said “Make sure it’s a yamaha.”

So should I go for the GTR F1 at $60,000?[/quote][/quote]

I’m not familiar with it…but if it’s something new…new models often have “bugs” in them the first year. The Cygnuses had fueling problems the first year for example.

Why not get the tried and true Cygnus? Follow skylarks advice as to which model. You could probably find one for about 56k or so.

The Cygnus seems to be a nice ride. Dukes are also good bikes, and the cheapest to own.

Dukes are also the cheapest to modify and make quick. My friends can do 140km/hr…no exaggeration.

I’ve got a Grand Dink 150, 3 1/2 years old. Runs great, but the palstic bits need tightening and it could use a tune up. Other than that its in fine shape and should stay strong for another few years. Make an offer.

Chou

Yeah my duke is pretty much done. I bought a dead Duke for 2000nt added 20,000nt and now it does 140+. I shit you not, I’ve done nothing to it in 2 years other than change filters and oil… this thing will not quit. All taiwanese parts, and I boot-fuck it everytime I’m on it. It was my science project… people can’t believe it still runs great.

I’d say I like the duke more than the Cygnus but it’s the frame where the Cygnus wins. I’ve never ridden one, but the frame has to be more rigid with it’s dual rear shocks.

I ended up going to a ‘mile of scooters’ type thing in Kaohsiung City, on Nianguo Lu. Found a black '99 Yamaha 迅光, for 28k, in perfect condition with like 1400 miles on it. The guy from the Jiouru scooter shop wanted to sell me the '96 Dio that I have been renting. The punchline is that he wanted 20k for it. I’m actually waiting till 1pm so I can go down to another scooter shop, and change out the battery on this Dio. Have to wait till payday to get my new used scooter.

Thanks for all the advice. At all the scooter shops, I asked to look at their 125 Yamahas.

:laughing: , sorry to be the one to break this to you…but they all have around 1400 miles on them. Take a look next time you’re at a 2nd hand scooter shop…But it sounds like a good deal nonetheless. Congrats.

I checked the mileage on all the scooters. One was 5800, another 4600, another 2400 and this one was 1400. One of the scooter shops put his hand over the odometer and tried to tell my gf in chinese that the mileage didn’t matter. He also told her that he only guarenteed the engine for half a year.

Fair enough…so he randomized them a bit, smart guy.

Not that it matters, but it was 4 different scooter shops.

Get a 'scooter yet?

Yeah on the 5th, the day of my paycheck, I will pick it up; A black '99 Yamaha 迅光.

Not going to be much of my paycheck left this month. 12k rent, 12k chinese classes, 25k scooter. >< … 3k for everything else for a month…

Yeah on the 5th, the day of my paycheck, I will pick it up; A black '99 Yamaha 迅光.

Not going to be much of my paycheck left this month. 12k rent, 12k Chinese classes, 25k scooter. >< … 3k for everything else for a month…[/quote]

Borrrow, borrowing is fun…I do it all the time. :frowning: