New art museum

Just a mention that there’s a new art museum in Taipei, the Institute of Contemporary Arts.

It’s in the old Taipei City Hall building, No. 39 Chang’an W. Rd. (長安西路39號 ). Chang’an is between Zhongxiao/Chunghsiao and Nanjing/Nanking. If you’re taking the MRT, get off at either Taipei Main Station or Chungshan (中山站 ); walk (underground) to Chang’an W. Rd. and then head west for a minute or two.

I went Saturday and found the art a mixed bag. The museum doesn’t feel quite complete. And it only takes up about half of the building.

I liked best the piece on the second floor made from books, magazines, and televisions. The same artist had a great exhibition a couple of years ago elsewhere in Taipei. Another of the pieces featured a video of a woman chatting on a dageda. A phone number appeared in this sequence. I wasn’t able to find out if calling it produced any interesting results; so if anybody visits and makes the call, let me know.

Hours: 10 - 6, Tuesday - Sunday; closed Mondays
Tel.: 2559-3720
website: www.ica.gov.tw (well, that’s what it said at the museum; but I haven’t been able to connect to anything at that URL)
Admission is cheap: NT$30.

It’s worth a stop if you’re in the neighborhood.