New Business Ideas plausible in Taiwan

Dear All,

I’m looking at investment and business opportunities, so that I will not have to be in the rat race, so to speak, as Rich Dad Poor Dad said in his books many years ago.

Taiwan is unique in its economic and political stance, so I’m wondering: What Kind of Businesses will Strive in Taiwan?

Please feel free to say anything, but please have some facts to support your stance.

Thanks a lot.

:notworthy:

You are not bringing anything to the table here. First mistake. :bow:

1 Like

besides teaching, or working for a embassy, I found many foreigners have successful businesses in the restaurant/bar business.

1 Like

How many is ‘many’. 50, 100? Obviously the successful guys will still be running the businesses. :bow:

It’s the only industry that I find foreigners successful in besides teaching or working for a embassy. From my understanding is that there isn’t as much red tape and not as much barriers of entry.

1 Like

It’s easier to get started into , true. Success rate would have to be defined against failure rate though.
I’ve known both.
But it’s not a bad recommendation in terms of Taiwanese economic and social structure.
There are foreigners successful in many other things…but there are few foreigners in Taiwan to begin with (if not counting laborers/caregivers/ABCs/foreign spouses). Laborers and caregivers are prevented from fully entering local society.
OP is lazy and not contributing anything in the OP, so he’s not going to get much from this thread.
It’s the story of this website, once it had many many experienced people willing to give some input, but they were abandoned in favour of the 10 newbie question a day routine. And that’s why this website is just spinning it’s wheels these days…slower and slower…

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s easier to get started into , true. Success rate would have to be defined against failure rate though.
I’ve known both.
But it’s not a bad recommendation in terms of Taiwanese economic and social structure.
There are foreigners successful in many other things…but there are few foreigners in Taiwan to begin with (if not counting laborers/caregivers/ABCs/foreign spouses). Laborers and caregivers are prevented from fully entering local society.
OP is lazy and not contributing anything in the OP, so he’s not going to get much from this thread.
It’s the story of this website, once it had many many experienced people willing to give some input, but they were abandoned in favour of the 10 newbie question a day routine. And that’s why this website is just spinning it’s wheels these days…slower and slower…[/quote]

The OP obviously doesn’t want to share his ideas for he fears they might be “taken.” Taiwan is a big place with plenty of room for entrepreneurship.
Come on, OP! You must have something in mind otherwise why post …promise, we won’t pirate your ideas. :whistle:

A hot dog stand is always a good idea. :thumbsup:

1 Like

the restaurant/bar thing was easy entry, quick to setup and start making money until about 5-10 years ago i’d say. you can’t just slap together a bar counter and snack menu anymore. piles of money, resources and connections going into big, sophisticated establishments now.

that said, i still feel there are lots of opportunities for people who are nimble and savy. the lean model works well in taiwan. get in, get out before the crowd loses interest, then pile into the next idea

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]the restaurant/bar thing was easy entry, quick to setup and start making money until about 5-10 years ago I’d say. you can’t just slap together a bar counter and snack menu anymore. piles of money, resources and connections going into big, sophisticated establishments now.

that said, i still feel there are lots of opportunities for people who are nimble and savy. the lean model works well in Taiwan. get in, get out before the crowd loses interest, then pile into the next idea[/quote]

I agree, most of my foreigners friends in that business know people and are active in different communities. I work in the entertainment industry here, so i often help smaller businesses that are starting out who were introduced to me by someone by setting them up with something to help promote. And in turn, they help promote for my events and sponsor us when they do become bigger and more successful. You have to be able to navigate through connections to start out smaller businesses. Knowing people, and the ability to make connections goes a long way for that.

There are a metric ton of market opportunities, but good luck securing funding.

+1, funding requirements are ridiculous in this country.

Rely on your own money to start something. That will already give you a range of possible business opportunities.

You say that you are looking at investment or business opportunities, however there is a large difference between the two.

If investment is your aim, look at property outside Taiwan that gives a high yield rate, or buy ETFs or other stable high dividend stocks in markets and industries that you are familiar with.

If you have no experience in the property/ stock market just ask a broker.

These investments will provide you with a stable income, and no not all property and stocks are in a bubble, you just need to be careful and do your research.

Taiwan does have a number of start-ups many of which require an angel investor, preferably one with connections in the industry that can help the company thrive.

The start-up scene here is varied not all IT and apps, however the risk factor can be large.

But as they say no risk no reward.

From a small business point of view most of the non- Taiwanese that I have meet usually have a restaurant, café, bar, online business, in retail, design or run a cram school.

It is always best to start a business with something you have experience in, many companies start off as someone`s hobby.

If you really have no ideas why not have a walk round a franchisee exhibition next time one is on and see if you can get some inspiration.

does anyone know the details of the businesses in kenting? those B&Bs, hostels have improved a lot over the years. some look great. also in hengchung area. and kenting now has the Iron Man, plus other festivals. investors have poured money into big resorts and so on, but there’s just something missing, the proper beach holiday experience. you always leave kenting after 2 or 3 days kinda going meh…

If one of those hotels facing the beach, near the beach there could build a large outside deck, and provide amazing seafood bbq, island style reggae style whatever live music, real proper cocktails in fancy glasses, and amazing menu, candles, real island, Thailand feel to it, and most important a full on western breakfast the next day!! the works! sautéed onions, fried bananas, sausages and chutneys, proper toast, proper jam, proper coffee… those breakfast sandwiches they offer at the hostels…yuck!
you’re on holiday, you want the royal treatment.

or a bunch of bbq pits/tables in a backyard, with proper quality meats, fish, etc provided by hotel, with good music, good atmosphere, etc.

a big screen or projector type thing outside with couches, large cushions etc to watch a movie at night, with island style bar and snacks nearby, offered till late into the morning…

amazing desserts, rich, decadent stuff!

this is what kenting is lacking

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]does anyone know the details of the businesses in Kending? those B&Bs, hostels have improved a lot over the years. some look great. also in hengchung area. and Kending now has the Iron Man, plus other festivals. investors have poured money into big resorts and so on, but there’s just something missing, the proper beach holiday experience. you always leave Kending after 2 or 3 days kinda going meh…

If one of those hotels facing the beach, near the beach there could build a large outside deck, and provide amazing seafood bbq, island style reggae style whatever live music, real proper cocktails in fancy glasses, and amazing menu, candles, real island, Thailand feel to it, and most important a full on western breakfast the next day!! the works! sautéed onions, fried bananas, sausages and chutneys, proper toast, proper jam, proper coffee… those breakfast sandwiches they offer at the hostels…yuck!
you’re on holiday, you want the royal treatment.

or a bunch of bbq pits/tables in a backyard, with proper quality meats, fish, etc provided by hotel, with good music, good atmosphere, etc.

a big screen or projector type thing outside with couches, large cushions etc to watch a movie at night, with island style bar and snacks nearby, offered till late into the morning…

amazing desserts, rich, decadent stuff!

this is what Kending is lacking[/quote]

That’s the royal the treatment for most Taiwanese and Chinese. :ohreally:

true. but looking at how more upscale places with pretty decent food and drink are packed and doing well in the cities, you’d think the mindset would spill over to the beach vacation time. I guess it’s the market segment - youngungs mostly that are perfectly happy with the free sandwich breakfast and the night market and are on tight budgets, or the more boring middle and older aged folks and flashy rich types with Ferrari, they stay at those big, enclosed, lifeless looking hotel resorts

that and many mid-to-high income folks just jet off to Japan, Thailand, South Korea for the same price as Kenting trip after you factor in high speed, hotel bills, etc so what’s the point anyway

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]true. but looking at how more upscale places with pretty decent food and drink are packed and doing well in the cities, you’d think the mindset would spill over to the beach vacation time. I guess it’s the market segment - youngungs mostly that are perfectly happy with the free sandwich breakfast and the night market and are on tight budgets, or the more boring middle and older aged folks and flashy rich types with Ferrari, they stay at those big, enclosed, lifeless looking hotel resorts

that and many mid-to-high income folks just jet off to Japan, Thailand, South Korea for the same price as Kending trip after you factor in high speed, hotel bills, etc so what’s the point anyway[/quote]

Many Taiwanese don’t like tanning on the beach, sitting on decks in the heat (they prefer aircon indoors) or doing lot’s of stuff westerners like to do in beach resorts. No market for it. Therefor I don’t understand why they like sitting at 85C outdoors on an overheated covered sidewalk! :ponder: Is it still supposed to be trendy?

People can smoke outside, thats why a lot of them are sitting there.Kenting has never really developed like it could have. it’s never caught on with the moneyed crowd. it may catch on a bit more when current more outdoorsy and ocean generation grows up and have kids. it does have some great B&Bs but for western food or bars it’s always been very poor.

Correction, it’s (officially) illegal smoking outdoors when more than one person is sitting there and eating something!

Just last weekend I saw a pack of old, drunk guys gambling, smoking and shouting on the chairs outside 85C, empty beer bottles on tables