New Carrefour in Danshui Grand Opening 4/28/2013!

That’s right folks. All the rumors turned out to be true indeed. Construction workers are putting the final touches on the brand new Carrefour in Danshui. Here are some pictures for your viewing enjoyment! They were just putting up the sign when I took these pics. It’s big, it’s beautiful and I can hardly wait for them to finish it! :bravo:

So…where in Tanshui is it exactly? It’s north of downtown Tanshui proper and unfortunately is absolutely NOT within walking distance of the MRT terminus in Danshui. There are rumors that the Tanshui line will be extended up into this new development area, but it won’t be for a number of years.

It’s at the intersection of Zhongshan N. Rd., Section 2 and Lane 381, Zhongshan N. Rd., Section 2.

在中山北路二段和中山北路二段381巷交界處

Here are the GPS coordinates. 25°11’15.77"N 121°26’37.97"E Unfortunately Google Earth only shows empty fields, but it’s there, I promise.

In addition to the new Carrefour, they are in the process of building a new elementary school and the New Taipei City Tanshui District Office at this intersection, too.

Wanna hear another rumor I’ve heard recently? Costco is coming to the same area. Yep…I heard it. Wouldn’t it just be peachy if they built a new Costco in the empty field across from the new Carrefour and the new elementary school? That would be totally awesome! Everything close enough to my house, but not in my backyard!

I’ve been hearing the Costco rumours for a few months now, particularly from taxi drivers. Also heard that a cinema complex is in the works.

Excellent! Now good bread and cheese will be more easily accessible for us northerners.

What happened to those rumors that Carrefour was pulling out of Taiwan completely?

Well, I think the Costco rumours may actually be OUR fault - I know I was saying “I heard there’s going to be a Costco…” for a while.

Don’t get too hopeful about the Costco: a guy I know knows one of the foreign higher-ups in Costco, and apparently they have no plans to move into the area. But God I wish they did. I had hopes for that new Meito department store beside Danshui MRT station, but no groceries at all there.

Yes, I know how pathetic “a guy I know knows a guy” sounds.

Any idea when the Carrefour will open? Of course, the other issue is what they’ll stock. The old Zhuwei one was moderately useful, but nowhere near as well-stocked for non-Taiwanese groceries as the Tianmu branch.

There are 2 free Carrefour Buses for Taoyuan City. Perhaps the Danshui Carrefour will also provide a free bus route past the MRT station?

Excuse me…Tamsui :unamused:

I hope you are not too excited…i was …going to CF for the first time in Taichung :frowning: After the European stores it was awful…bread especially. I hoped being French it would have excellent bread…NO :frowning: Soft chewy horrible) Maybe I am wrong but French bread should be a little crusty on the outside and soft/light on the inside?
Never been since as i really believe Welcome/Costco far better for food.

I hope you are not too excited…i was …going to CF for the first time in Taichung :frowning: After the European stores it was awful…bread especially. I hoped being French it would have excellent bread…NO :frowning: Soft chewy horrible) Maybe I am wrong but French bread should be a little crusty on the outside and soft/light on the inside?
Never been since as i really believe Welcome/Costco far better for food.[/quote]

The quality of the stock at Carrefour varies as night to day from branch to branch. Some are horrid, some mediocre, and some quite decent. It does often take some searching to find a decent enough branch.

Yep. I’m happy to live within striking distance of the Tienmu store.

Well, we’ll see how this new one does. At least it should be easier to find cheese, different types of wine, Thai and Italian food, beans, and a few other niceties.

But - on a different note - what the heck is up in the Mayosphere? I mean that part of the Earth that consists of mayonnaise? Everywhere I look, even City Super, all they have is either ultra-light mayo, with a horrible flavor, or weird imported Portuguese or Mexican mayo with a weird flavor. Can’t we all get along and sell normal Hellman’s mayo?

I am making my own these days, which is fine but more expensive and messy.

I hear you, Big John. Real, normal mayo, has dissappeared again from local shelves. At least in Xindian Carrefour/RTMart/Matsusei and as said City Super/Jason’s downtown. I bought mine in Costco, which is really a waste, as won’t use more than a quater.

Now if we could get the sour cream by the gallon back… :cry:

Yeah, and if someone would sell organic or all peanuts peanut butter than didn’t cost NT250 for a thimble.

Whoa! That’s like a five minute walk from my apartment, and I didn’t even notice. Good news indeed.

Now all we need is an Eslite, Costco, good ethnic food, good Chinese food, good any food (iron
eggs and a-gei don’t count)…

Are there really such thing as organic anything that doesn’t cost a huge amount of money for a thimble?

I hope you are not too excited…I was …going to CF for the first time in Taichung :frowning: After the European stores it was awful…bread especially. I hoped being French it would have excellent bread…NO :frowning: Soft chewy horrible) Maybe I am wrong but French bread should be a little crusty on the outside and soft/light on the inside?
Never been since as i really believe Welcome/Costco far better for food.[/quote]

Actually Carrefour does pretty decent bread for Taiwan, although not as good as some of the new REAL bakeries sprouting up.
Both of them don’t offer much in terms of cheese.

That Costco rumour sounds like what developers would put about as the are trying to get interest in the new town there. Let the masses believe what they want. They wouldn’t open a Costco there now because there are simply not enough people living out that way.

Speaking of real bakeries, I just discovered this one in Taoyuan City: Magie du Levain, which has a timetable of when each type of bread is available fresh out of the oven :lick:

Looking good! Almost finished. I can see lights on inside as I’m driving home at night. I’ll be sure to let everyone know when the grand opening is!

Excellent! I’ll never have to set foot in Wellcome again…
Well, unless they’re having a big beer sale…

[quote=“Dr. Milker”]Excellent! I’ll never have to set foot in Wellcome again…
Well, unless they’re having a big beer sale…[/quote]

You know, in my opinion Wellcome is not too bad. I mean the quality of their produce is often better than Carrefour, and according to Greenpeace they do the best job in Taiwan of any supermarket in terms of screening for pesticide residue and canceling suppliers whose stuff has too much or the wrong kind of residue. I appreciate that.

Yeah, they do OK with the produce. My main beef with Wellcome is their poor selection in general (which of course is true of any supermarket in Taiwan) and the fact that most of their stuff is massively overpriced. Maybe it’s time to start petitioning Trader Joe’s to open up shop here…