New DVD does not work

I just had a DVD installed on my desktop. When I wanted to view a movie a screen popped up saying I need to install the software that comes with the DVD driver. Trying again “A compatible DVD decoder not installed.”

Doesn’t the driver come in the box when you buy a DVD? Shouldn’t the person who installed the DVD have also installed the driver? This seems like common sense to me. I never received the driver, the box the DVD allegedly came in, or guarantee.

Thanks for enlightening me on all this!
:notworthy:

[quote=“flyingfish”]I just had a DVD installed on my desktop. When I wanted to view a movie a screen popped up saying I need to install the software that comes with the DVD driver. Trying again “A compatible DVD decoder not installed.”

Doesn’t the driver come in the box when you buy a DVD? Shouldn’t the person who installed the DVD have also installed the driver? This seems like common sense to me. I never received the driver, the box the DVD allegedly came in, or guarantee.

:notworthy:[/quote]

A driver is one thing…software to actually view a DVD movie is something else. You need software like Cyberlink’s PowerDVD to watch a movie. What kind of DVD player is it?

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“flyingfish”]I just had a DVD installed on my desktop. When I wanted to view a movie a screen popped up saying I need to install the software that comes with the DVD driver. Trying again “A compatible DVD decoder not installed.”

:notworthy:[/quote]

A driver is one thing…software to actually view a DVD movie is something else. You need software like Cyberlink’s PowerDVD to watch a movie. What kind of DVD player is it?[/quote]

Yup. I agree with CS. You just don’t have DVD player software installed. You should have got a software CD with the drive, which will contain it.

on the front of the DVD it says

DVD Multi Recorder.
Compact disc rewriteable
DVD + R dl

Where do I get the Cyberlink Power DVD?

[quote=“flyingfish”]on the front of the DVD it says

DVD Multi Recorder.
Compact disc rewriteable
DVD + R dl[/quote]

And you didn’t get a software CD with it? You will need that for the recording software too.

Irishstu that is what seems strange to me. Shouldn’t I have also gotten a software CD when I purchased the DVD?

I could watch movies on the old CD but had not done so in a long time.

[quote=“flyingfish”]Irishstu that is what seems strange to me. Shouldn’t I have also gotten a software CD when I purchased the DVD?

I could watch movies on the old CD but had not done so in a long time.[/quote]

Yes, you should definitely have got a software CD with it.

When you say you could watch movies before, where they actually DVDs, or perhaps another format? If they were DVDs, and you haven’t uninstalled anything, then you should still be able to watch them.

Would it be easy to go back to the shop and ask for the software CD?

Go to the shop you got your player from and ask them where’s the software.

You need software like WinDVD or power DVD to play any movies. If you play them in media player it will not let you. You should have at least one copy of either winDVD or powerDVD when you bought your computer, just about anything computer related comes with them now… motherboard came with one, video card came with one, the DVD burner came with one… I have so many winDVD/powerDVD software and serials now I dont know what to do with them…

If you had a store install the stuff for you they should give you any CD and manual that came with it, if you threw the box away, well sorry…

Irishstu: [quote]Yes, you should definitely have got a software CD with it.

[quote]

That is exactly what I thought.

I watched CDs before not DVD

Comrade Stalin: That is exactly what I am in the process of doing.

I think it is very unusual that I did not receive DVD box with all the papers inside. Receipt, a standard business practice, was not received. I am not making any judgements about what is happening yet.

I made my choice and I will work through this.

flyingfish…let me know if you get it or not. If you don’t, I have an OEM copy of PowerDVD I can turn you on to.

Thanks Comrade Stalin

I will let you know the results. An easy repair and install is revealing a lot.