New Economic Immigration Bill

Minister Chen (NDC head) has decided not to go for another term, so NDC will be getting a new leader. Here’s hoping they bring her passion to this bill.

3 Likes

She (i.e. Chen Mei-ling; 陳美伶) was great. Hope the positive momentum continues.

Guy

1 Like

Looks like the NDC will now be headed by Kung Ming-hsin (龔明鑫).

1 Like

Is that a good thing?

Never heard of him before today to be honest :joy:

Further, the bill was again brought up last week with the same result: submission to committee.

5 Likes

I presume this means that certain lawmakers object to some parts of the draft legislation?

Guy

As I understand it (I’m far from an expert), legislators can also ask questions about the impact of the legislation. If those proposing it don’t have an answer, legislation can be sent to committee to work out those answers. In the past questions have been along the lines of “What will the impact be on employment opportunity for Taiwanese citizens”, “What is the budgetary impact on NHI”. However, yes, there is a chance that this bill’s continual referral to committee (four times last session) indicates some discontent, which is expected for immigration legislation.

3 Likes

What do you mean they just let them go? Maybe it doesn’t make it attractive enough or puts too many barriers for them to stay. The undergrad students are wasted the most since they have to speak Chinese in order to graduate. Masters students are not required to speak Chinese and often find better opportunities in other countries.

Looking at the proposed legislation I have found some interesting points I am unsure about (sorry I couldn’t copy and paste, so I just did a screen shot):

So does this mean that the Gold card (ie “Foreign Special Professionals”), will now have a five year duration instead of the current 3 year validity?

1 Like

And then the following section makes more sense now:

So now (if this legislation passes) a Gold card holder, who has a card that is good for 5 years (see above post), can apply for an APRC after only 3 years as long as they stay in Taiwan for over 183 days a year. Am I reading this correctly?

1 Like

It does seem to say that. Interestingly, the work permit for “foreign special professionals” that underlies the Gold Card is already capable of having a five year duration. So this may just be harmonising the work permit and the residence permit regulations.

Yes, that matches my understanding. However, as you (and @irish91) have noted, it becomes interesting when applied to 3 year gold card holders. Can they apply for APRC before their card expires, or do they need to get a new Gold Card and then apply?

The New Economic Immigration Bill (新經濟移民法) was in the news this week. The American Chamber of Commerce released its annual whitepaper which strongly promoted the bill.

However, the legislative session for the first half of the year ends at the end of May, and this bill did not pass. The next legislative session starts in September.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Seems to be progressing at breakneck speed then… :roll_eyes:

I remember it was the same story last year. :snail: :snail: :snail:

2 Likes

Enough lip service already…

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Whoah 720? Soon Taiwanese will be the minority.

3 Likes

How times this new economic bill will be rejected totally then will not be passed forever?coz i think it was passed since 2018 and i think it was one of the pres.tsai priority bill in the NDC…

1 Like

This has me concerned as well. Or is it common practice for bills to go to committee a few times before they pass?

Yeah, me too. The only reason this topic was immediately relevant to me was to see whether gold card holders would be able to sign up for NHI without the 6-month waiting period. I got mine in March, which means waiting until September to sign up under the current rules.

And since the next round of playing tennis with the bill now won’t start until at least September, looks like I’m just gonna have to wait. :man_shrugging:

I hope this bill will be approved and coz it is a AIT wish priority bill for this taiwan admin.and NDC Priority bill also and does anyone know other priority bills almost the same as this new economic bills?