New Film about 20th Century Taiwan History

I’ve mentioned here before that I compose scores for films and TV shows in Taiwan and China. The second film of a two-part documentary on the Lin Family of Wufeng will be released in theaters around the island on Sept. 18. Anyone interested in learning more about Taiwan history will enjoy it.

It covers Japanese colonial rule of Taiwan, the KMT’s arrival, 228, and some of the White Terror. The story centers around three members of the Lin Family: Lin Zumi, Lin Xiantang, and Lin Zhengheng. Zumi was an ROC loyalist and military commander who fought with Sun Yat-suen and Chiang Kai-shek in China. Xiantang was a scholar who peacefully fought for the voice of the Taiwanese during both Japanese and KMT rule. Zhengheng, the son of Zumi, was a communist sympathizer and revolutionary who was executed by the KMT during the White Terror period.

The movie should be showing with English subtitles so don’t be afraid of language problems. Although, I worked on the translation so I hope everyone can follow the film alright.

There’s a short trailer on the Yahoo Movies page:
https://tw.movies.yahoo.com/video/%E9%98%BF%E7%BD%A9%E9%9C%A7%E9%A2%A8%E9%9B%B2-%E8%90%BD%E5%AD%90-%E9%A6%96%E6%92%AD-%E6%AD%A3%E5%BC%8F%E9%A0%90%E5%91%8A-021422114.html

I’ll post a Youtube link when it’s available.

I’m glad it’s called “Ataabu”.

I expect the quality of the film to be similar to another historic film Blue Brave: The Legend of Formosa in 1895, and would be very delighted if it’s better than that.

[quote=“hansioux”]I’m glad it’s called “Ataabu”.

I expect the quality of the film to be similar to another historic film Blue Brave: The Legend of Formosa in 1895, and would be very delighted if it’s better than that.[/quote]

It’s a different style picture. 1895 is a historical drama. It’s a dramatized version of the story. Attaba and Attaba II are documentary films. There are actors dramatizing many of the scenes, but the story is told primarily through narration.

I think the second part (the film being released in Sept.) is better than the first part. The first film told the story of the Lins from their arrival in Taiwan in the 17th century up until the First Sino-Japanese War and the Treaty of Shimonoseki. It’s a truly amazing story, but was perhaps too grand and large scale for the budget of the film. The Lins at that time were involved in leading large armies into battle and creating a power structure in Central Taiwan. Production limitations made it difficult to tell that story so the film feels a bit constrained. I still think it was a very good film and any viewer can learn a lot about early Taiwan history from it.

The second film is more effective though. It doesn’t feel as limited. I think it has a chance to make an impact as a documentary film…And the music is great :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Very nice and I like how you made it seem as if it were raining at the end. :slight_smile: Is the first part out already? I agree the Lin story is a fascinating and exciting tale of an immigrant family making it in a new land our the centuries. A true Taiwan tale.

Here’s the Youtube version of the trailer.

Thanks!

Yes, the first part was in theaters a year and a half ago (if I’m remembering correctly).

They have recently released the DVD. It’s available on books.com.tw

goo.gl/Er3ooO

the new trailer looks amazing, and great job on the sound track as well.

Here are some links to a couple of (Chinese language) reviews of the film. Very positive feedback so far…

cheercut.pixnet.net/blog/post/42 … 3%E5%AE%97

blackcoffeeseries.com/2015/08/attabu-2.html

And also a behind the scenes video:

What does this mean?

Were you also responsible for the English subtitles on the first one? I might head down to rent the DVD but would probably need the English subs turned on for a film like this.

What does this mean?

Were you also responsible for the English subtitles on the first one? I might head down to rent the DVD but would probably need the English subs turned on for a film like this.

I write music. I did the musical score for both of the films in this series.

And yes, I worked on the subtitles on the first one as well.

https://www.facebook.com/attabutw/photos/a.573420229382508.1073741828.573415842716280/1036485203076006/?type=1&permPage=1

Film opens today. I went to the Taipei premier last night. Mayor Ko sat a couple of rows behind me.

It is screening with English subs. Somehow they managed to squeeze in a couple of mistakes even after I made sure the file was good to go…but they are minor. Check it out if you are interested in early 20th century Taiwan history.