🆔 New format for ARC/APRC number is not accepted--testing and reporting thread

I’m waiting for my new card but for some reason it takes a couple of weeks to theissue the new one not sure why.
The immigration officer was very pleasant though, she outlined other options for me to apply for such as APRC next time the special citizenship process etc etc. She checked my rather complex immigration history on the computer I guess it was something semi interesting to start the day with. She even reminded me that it’s not a good idea to depend on marriage JFRV type ARC forever.

5 Likes

You’re not on an APRC?

1 Like

Nope , never bothered applying. I have had a TARC before though and a bunch of different ARCs. I may apply for it within the year. Get my new number issue out of the way first

1 Like

You should get it while we fight for dual citizenship. Increases safety. She is right.

3 Likes

ç›Łç†æœć‹™ç¶Č-ćŠ ć…„æœƒć“Ą (mvdis.gov.tw) does not allow the use of (old) ARC numbers to register an account. You need to be able to register an account in order to fully use the APP. The APP will inform you as soon as you receive a traffic related ticket rather than having them pile up until you start to receive them in the post ~ e.g. parking in the same illegal spot each day, going by that new speed camera each day. The DMV has no problem using ARC’s number for licenses, dishing out fines etc. but does with trying to get something which might be helpful.

Sent an email off to our friends at the NIA, see if they can light a fire under someone.
The system refuses to accept my “Natural Person Certificate” and NHI card;

4 Likes

And the predicable response;

Note the language change from “foreign residents” to “foreigners” and the avoidance of the question on why our government issued ID cards cannot be used on a government website.

12 Likes

For anyone who wants to jump in on this or similar issues, I suggest;

1. First step is to contact the department of immigration ~ Write to the Director of Immigration You need to use a valid email address as you will receive a “confirmation link” that you need to click on in order to verify the email before they will deal with the issue.

2. For the above MVDIS or any other ministry of transport issues contact https://poms.motc.gov.tw/WebPages/pomsp001v01/Index . Form is bilingual apart from the most important button! Need to click on the below to submit;

Again need a valid email address and click on the confirmation link that will be sent to before they will process your question.

7 Likes

Just a little over a month away from one year since the implementation of the new ID format for foreigners.

For anyone that’s a little more savy with video/editing maybe they can use this thread as a basis for a year in review to look back at what the change has meant for foreigners residing in Taiwan, pros, cons, etc
and how things have improved/worsened with the new ID and concerns with how using old number now (in some cases forced to as new numbers still not accepted) will result in problems down the road when the old number will eventually be retired.

Would be interesting to see some of the bigger YouTubers in Taiwan tackle this issue since they have the audience to actually trigger some type of discussion.

8 Likes

Latest reply for the esteemed director, as everyone has been experiencing there is no mention of a central plan to address issues with use of A(P)RC numbers on government or private websites. According to the director it’s up to us to report the issues as we find them, so get reporting!

Hit the department of immigration, Write to the Director of Immigration , every single time you experience difficulty using your new or old A(P)RC number, we need to breach the PITA tolerance threshold before anything will be done!

12 Likes

'revised the UI format to facilitate the life of foreigners ’

WTF does that even mean !
It was revised but it is NOT unified with Taiwanese ID numbers.

So it is therefore a Non UI number. It is NOT a UI format number.

Facilitate a massive pain in the arse for all resident foreigners , waste tens of thousands of hours of foreigners and the bank clerks , insurance bureaus and vehicle registration employees that they have to deal with. Causing huge headaches for absolutely no gain.

:-1::-1::-1:

What was facilitated to our benefit ?

9 Likes

Just a way to pat themselves on the back and make it look like they did something?

Same as them getting their behinds saved with the millions of foreign donations of vaccines and showing their kindness by giving the stimulus vouchers to diplomats whilst ignoring the overwhelming majority of of foreign residents in Taiwan.

Actually
who wants to bet that before the old numbers expire that we get another ID format update
leaving a bunch of foreigners with 3 separate ID numbers,

7 Likes

Write to the bossman and ask him!

1 Like

Ahhhh! They’re playing the “not my problem” card now and trying to deflect the inherent issues which they created to “other” departments. If they had any hindsight, they should’ve known most, if not all, public or private websites, will NOT accommodate this change due to the simple fact that the new ID format does not follow the Taiwan ID’s format (1 or 2 in the second digit. Now they want everyone to complain to all those websites not accepting the new format and asking them to change which the NIA should’ve already done at the onset. :-1:

9 Likes

If memory serves me right Taiwan’s digital minister Audrey Tang already posted on here that that was the intention, rather than correct the issues with the old ID number they purposely issued a new number system to use as leverage for change, clearly not working.

Contact the department of immigration ~ Write to the Director of Immigration and let them know your feelings!

Great success. If the goal was to expose systematic discrimination.

2 Likes

Currently going through the process of updating my ARC number at Hua Nan Bank.

1.5 hours so far. No resolution. We are stuck in a loop. Why don’t I have an ID number.

Me- My passport number should be fine.
Bank Clerk - But I can’t use the Passport number.
Me- um
Bank Clerk - :neutral_face: are you a USA resident. I need yourSSN.
Me- no I’m a resident of 

Bank Clerk - can you give me your SSN?
Me- I’m not a USA resident.

Many phone calls and colleagues coming past and chatting. But we are stuck.

Update:

Finished. End result is. I lost my Visa and internet banking access. And have to wait two weeks to access my bank account.

Another win for Taiwan banking.

13 Likes

I bet it feels bloody nice to have the new, improved, more inclusive ARC number though, yeah?

6 Likes

Yes. It’s amazing. I feel just like a local. I have zero agency so I just give up and will begin mopping through life. Amazing! I’ll buy a scooter and drive at a million miles an hour through the city for the only thrill I can get. Amazing.

5 Likes

I would fill a complaint using the form on the online site of your bank (and describe in detail the whole story), then it will be redirected from head office straight to the manager of your branch and then your case will likely be prioritized. Also, don’t take the usual “credit card is managed by another company” bullshit excuse, while this is factually true, it is not true that they cannot do anything about it.

2 Likes

Do we actually have to get the APRC updated or is this the kind of situation where we can just ignore the new number system until old numbers are not accepted anymore?