The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

Wowee.

Really? So the Nation of Islam has no ‘historical context’? I though the woke zombies were the ones that saw Hitler in everything. Can’t keep it straight these days.

Only in the sense that it anchors itself to a bedrock of evil that no longer exists.

I am pretty sure you know little about Jews, their culture, or opinions. But manage to talk about them anyways. Another pattern. Feel free to save me your further opinions on what Jewish people might think.

Feel free to ignore me any time, the sooner the better

OK, but at the time what would have made the Nation of Islam speak to the black community?

edit: appeal to the black community at the time, within that context.

Who cares? It’s not 1930 anymore. Farrakhan and his ilk are deliberately perpetuating that “historical context” because hate gives their lives meaning. Some people nurse their grievances into monsters that take over their lives. And some people move on.

1 Like

How relevant do you think he is at the moment? He’s just a name the right bring up when they want to feel aggrieved and need a name. You’re talking like he’s a central figure in American cultural life at the moment.

Sounds like this one network I know, Fox.

I don’t know too many people that take the nation of Islam as Farakkhan presented it seriously as a political or social movement nowadays.

It’s a lot closer than it should be.

Some people in the black community, a vocal minority, but a minority non the less.

Early Mission:

The Nation of Islam ( NOI ) is an African-American political and new religious movement,[2][3][4] founded in Detroit, Michigan, United States, by Wallace Fard Muhammad on July 4, 1930.[4][5] Its stated goals are to improve the spiritual, mental, social, and economic condition of African Americans.[6] Its official newspaper is The Final Call . In 2007, the core membership was estimated to be between 20,000 and 50,000.[1]

It should also be noted they have reformed quite a bit:

In 1995, the Nation of Islam sponsored the Million Man March in Washington, D.C. to promote African-American unity and family values. Estimates of the number of marchers were between 400,000 and 840,000. Under Farrakhan’s leadership, the Nation of Islam tried to redefine the standard “black male stereotype” of drug and gang violence. Meanwhile, the Nation continued to promote social reform in African-American communities according to its traditional goals of self-reliance and economic independence.[45]

Foreign branches of the Nation were formed in Ghana, London, Paris, and the Caribbean islands. In order to strengthen the international influence of the Nation, Farrakhan attempted to establish relations with Muslim countries. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1991 and had a near-death experience in 2000 due to complications. After that, Farrakhan toned down the politics of the NOI and attempted to strengthen its relations with other minority communities, including Native Americans, Hispanics, and Asians.[45]

They are still classified as a hate group however:

Critics have described the theology of the organization as promoting antisemitism[11][12][13][14] and anti-LGBT rhetoric,[12] and of promoting racial separatism,[4] black nationalism[4] and of having promoted black supremacist beliefs in the past.[15] The Southern Poverty Law Center tracks the NOI as a hate group which, it claims, teaches a “theology of innate black superiority over whites”.[12][16]

True enough. But there are plenty more where he came from. Their ideas spread and poison every upcoming generation; every young kid who might grow up well-adjusted and normal - not viewing “white people” as a separate group out to do them harm - eventually absorb racist memes about white people and black people being different, with different “cultures”. And so the whole shitshow carries on.

If you’ve ever read any Terry Pratchett books, he has a running gag in which two “races” who mistrust each other (dwarfs and trolls) always end up starting a scuffle over the rallying cry “remember Koom Valley!”. The joke is that neither side actually knows what happened at Koom Valley - it turns out in one story that it was the scene of a historic truce, but the dwarfs and the trolls memorialize it as an instance of unforgivable perfidy by the other side. The plot of said story involves a subgroup of fanatics who are intent on making sure nobody ever finds out the truth, because endless conflict works to their advantage.

Getting back to the point

I think we’ve seen how it is squared; we’ve just been given a case study in spin and obfuscation (and insult) that distracts from the point rather than acknowledging it. Definitely a pattern here we have seen on this and other threads when the difficult questions arise.

ADL* has a few choice quotes from Farrakhan:

He is racist at the current time, or the word has no meaning.

*edit: for those who don’t know the org.
https://www.adl.org/who-we-are

Meh, I really don’t think so at this point. I don’t see a lot of organized anti-white sentiment in the communities here. I think there’s an overall sense of anger and frustration that boiled over during the summer during the BLM protests.

Farakkhan would have grown up in the 30s-50s before the civil rights era and during Jim Crow, so it’s not right to draw an equivalence between white extremists of his era.

Also, amazingly, as our political world gets weirder:

Praise for Donald Trump[edit]

During the 2016 Republican Party presidential primaries, Farrakhan praised Republican candidate Donald Trump as the only candidate “who has stood in front of the Jewish community and said ‘I don’t want your money.’” While he declined to endorse Trump outright, he said of Trump “I like what I’m looking at.”[58] In 2018, Farrakhan again praised Trump for “destroying every enemy that was an enemy of our rise”. He included the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in this group.[59] Conservative pundits Candace Owens and Glenn Beck both took note of Farrakhan’s position, with Owens saying, while she did not “endorse Farrakhan’s views” it remained a “really big deal” that Farrakhan had “aligned himself with Trump’s administration” and Beck declaring that “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” and urged “reconciliation” between conservatives and Farrakhan.[60][61]

So Crackpot Race Theory is going to grandfather in Louis Farrakhan’s anti-semitism? Figures.

Speaking of Dr. Seuss, my wife showed me the “Chinaman” and little black Sambo-themed images in his controversial books and – assuming those images are accurate – I have to say they meet my understanding of the definition of racist.

Where on earth did you arrive at this conclusion? The NOI are regarded as a hate group by the SPLC. Who is ‘granfathering in’ their ideas?

lol, you’ve spun yourself so dizzy that you seem to have forgotten the topic of conversation!

Offer ideas of substance or go away. Talk about the topic and not me, it’s really a nuisance and nobody cares about your invisible grudges but you. Seriously man, get a life. I don’t need the running commentary, and nobody else cares.

Go ahead and take that last word you need to get next. here it comes…drumroll…

?

My response then still stands now, you’ll find I am very consistent like that.

Your response is “Oh, you’re Jewish? Wow, I feel embarrassed”.

I am going back to watching Blade Runner 2049 now. It interests me.

?

not my words: