The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

The last punctuation mark. Subtle

The “taken within it’s proper historical context” remark threw me. Dr. Seuss, for example. My view is that the “only proper historical context” for the “Chinaman” and “Sambo” images in his books is that he was blind to his racism like so many other people of his day but that’s no reason we have to be blind to it.

1 Like

I agree with you here. Like @strung.in said above, it’s not like certain books should be banned or anything. I don’t it should be either. You just make a note of it when you’re reading it to your family etc. Hey, these images are messed up. Here’s why. This is how they thought at the time.

2 Likes

I was just reviewing the discussion here and realized I had skipped over this, so glad I came back to check my work!

lol, or two!

I read Terry Pratchett out of order for the first time over the past few years. I loved fantasy as a kid but understood this a lot better as an adult who has had British adult friends. Such a pleasure to read! Now I have pretty much everything in paperback and that is one box of my shipment to Taiwan. I’m looking forward to rereading everything in a more logical sequence than just what I found in the used book stores!

My goodness! I’m finally in agreement with you.

1 Like

So you are also defending Louis Farrakhan?

Good point. Though I just tell my kids straight out that these images are racist and a good example of what racism is.

I also tell them the same thing about the Crackpot Race Theory that they’re being taught in middle school and high school in Oregon. There’s just no way the square peg of Louis Farrakhan’s anti-semitism can fit into the round hole of Crackpot Race Theory’s contention that black people aren’t just flawed human beings like we are.

2 Likes

For clarification, @McNulty, you are opposed to no-platforming and other forms of censorship?

I’m defending free speech.

EDIT: Including hate speech.

In the case of things like obviously fake news sites that are intentionally misleading or propagandistic, certain types of hate speech i.e. Steph Molyneux, Alex Jones, Farakkhan etc. I am ok with shutting these down.

You’re not. I thought it was too improbable to be true.

1 Like

In terms of CRT in education teaching that racism is a white people problem, and a famous black man standing over there saying that Jews are basically Satan incarnate. Would you think that maybe the CRT people could have a coherent position on that if they want to teach their ideas in public schools?

I think we are pretty close to agreement, but hate speech is a no for me.

That’s a good argument for banning Crackpot Race Theory from being “taught” in schools.

1 Like

Incitement to violence, slander, or libel for me. Most countries have laws about those. Anything else is subjective.

3 Likes

Citation please

Who has been labeled hate speech, and deplatformed. Actually, you’re the only one talking about Farrakhan right now.

If you were capable of naming the CRTheorists you agreed or disagreed with beyond a couple celebrity types this might mean something. By all means, go ahead on another rant about schools in the U.S. you know nothing about. Lemme grab the popcorn hold on.

I took the most neutral definition I could find quickly:

Hate speech | Definition of Hate speech at Dictionary.com

“speech, writing, or nonverbal communication that attacks, threatens, or insults a person or group on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability”:

That would work with your definition.

Scroll up, you have provided much of the evidence

@QuaSaShao, is he correct, has your question been sufficiently addressed? That’s not how I feel, I thought you were still posting about this…

I’ve been on this thread since basically the beginning so you or any interested parties need only scroll down to see reams of evidence that this is not just a personal attack, but a clearly false one

Only inadvertently . . . but that’s how it works.

1 Like

Sorry, this is a bit cryptic. Can you remind me of your question again? My press secretary keeps moving the goal posts on us and It’s getting hard to keep track.