New heights in tastelessness

it would be pretty hard to go lower than the crucified jesus gum commercial i just saw!

ok, who played jesus, fess up :slight_smile:

I saw that tooā€¦ pretty unbelievable :shock:

I saw the same one. It was for Stimorol. Iā€™m going to complain about itā€¦

I just got cable again. (maybe thatā€™s not so good) Whatā€™s the commercial about?

I dontā€™ have cables but can I still see it on my regular 3 channels?? :blush:

I was pretty shocked too. Horribly inappropriate to show Jesus carrying his cross. At least they chose Christmas instead of Easter to release this. Iā€™d rank it way down there with Hitler being used to sell heaters. TASTELESS. If somebody has contact information for their ad agency Iā€™d like to write too.

My bf said Stimirol was always known for doing controversial commercials in Taiwan some time back. I didnā€™t actually catch all the subtitlesā€¦ can someone tell me what it was about? All I caught was something about being away for a long time, and finally coming back.

So the point of that ad is that Jesus needs stimorol to carry the cross? It is tasteless, but I donā€™t imagine a lot of locals will be complaining about it. Itā€™s insensitive of course, but commercials here often are. Or completely and totally inane.
The one that gets me is the ā€˜Stand by your manā€™ song played with the car commercial.

strange I saw the commerical and didnā€™t have any problems with it. maybe I am not sensitive enough?

If Jesus really is the Son of God Iā€™m sure heā€™s quite capable of complaining on his own about how heā€™s being portrayed down here. I wonder if he gets Taiwanese cable up there ?

Where can I download this commercial?

I saw the commerical a few days ago and just rolled my eyes, I cannot believe they would depict Jesus like that either. Some people will stop at nothingā€¦

hexuanā€¦this is why I was not bothered with it either. I have always felt god or Jesus, in this case, doesnā€™t need my help in defending his/her honor. Hell Iā€™m only a mere mortalā€¦:wink:
And once again, I try not to impose my western values on my host countryā€¦but then thatā€™s just me.

There are different versions of the Jesus-carrying-the-cross commercials. One I cannot make out what he is saying; must be in one of those Godly languages. Another he is muttering about diseases (including SARS).
The thing that I was puzzled by was what the point was supposed to be.
Maybe it was modeled after those Japanese commercials that seem totally pointless and then they flash the unconnected product on the screen.
As far as being offensive: how? Itā€™s an actor as Jesus carrying a cross in a wasteland muttering stuff to himself. At the end there is a pack of chewing gum shown on the screen. Big deal.
So much for tolerance, eh?

Im not at all religious, but i do find it mildy distasteful however not enough to worry about itā€¦ Itā€™s offensive to christians full stop. It is not about imposing western values on people, rather, objecting to mocking otherā€™s belief systems/cultures for a joke or a bit of cash. How many people would get pissed off if it was a band of terrorists that needed stimerol to keep up the assault on innocent people? Or how many Chinese would object to a commercial saying that Taiwanese Children need stimerol to keep working 24 hours a day in factories making cheap goods for the west. Bad tasteā€¦ignorantā€¦not very cool at all

But Southpaw, you said ā€˜It is not about imposing western values on people, rather, objecting to mocking otherā€™s belief systems/cultures for a joke or a bit of cash.ā€™
Personally, I think this is a western value - not mocking otherā€™s belief systems/cultures for a joke or a bit of cash. In Taiwan it seems perfectly acceptable, if you are Taiwanese (Chinese)?
As for what is tasteless, well thatā€™s pretty subjective tooā€¦especially in another culture.

Wow, what an idea! It would be like dropping a weapon of mass anger.
:smiling_imp: I like it.

[quote=ā€œVannyelā€]But Southpaw, you said ā€˜It is not about imposing western values on people, rather, objecting to mocking otherā€™s belief systems/cultures for a joke or a bit of cash.ā€™
Personally, I think this is a western value - not mocking otherā€™s belief systems/cultures for a joke or a bit of cash. In Taiwan it seems perfectly acceptable, if you are Taiwanese (Chinese)?
As for what is tasteless, well thatā€™s pretty subjective tooā€¦especially in another culture.[/quote]

why do you think this company made this commercial? just thought it would be funny to make a commercial with Jesus in it? no, they obviously did it to shock people, because itā€™s plainly wrong. that they or anyone else donā€™t give a shit doesnā€™t make it right. i bet a good many Taiwanese Christians wonā€™t agree with you. as you allude above try mocking Taiwanese beliefs and see how far you get, a double standard cannot count as a ā€œvalueā€ in my book.

Daltonā€¦ā€˜plainly wrongā€™??? why? I grew up in a Christian home, lived in a ā€˜Christianā€™ country for the first 44 years of my lifeā€¦I see nothing wrong with it??? Besides, Iā€™ll bet it was an actor playing Jesus and not the real guy? What do you think? Reality versus fantasy? I tend to realize icons arenā€™t the ā€˜realā€™ thingā€¦so if someone takes a leak on a cross I donā€™t get upsetā€¦itā€™s a piece of wood at the mostā€¦and as I said before if Jesus is upset, Iā€™m sure he can take care of it better than I can.
I still donā€™t think Taiwan is America so I see no way for me to hold them to American standards. Different is differentā€¦if I donā€™t like itā€¦I know how to get to the airport. :slight_smile:

Comedians in the UK and Ireland have been taking the piss out of the Pope, Jesus, and religion for years. Spitting Image. Father Ted. Dave Allen. Monty Python. And so on.

I think its funny how everyone is all upset aboutā€¦ I have not seen the commercial but Iā€™m guessing Jesus is protayed as a white manā€¦ Why[ arenā€™t you upset about that? I remeber in the late 80ā€™s I had an amiga game called spitting imagesā€¦ it was a fighting game similar to street fighterā€¦ but you could choose characters such as ronald mcregan, groovie gorbie etcā€¦ it was great