New Homoerotic Film: "Brokeback Mountain"

(I originally posted this in the TaiwanHo! Gay Forum, but thought it was important, so I’m posting it here as well …)

A friend of mine just forwarded the info on this film to me … I really couldn’t believe it when I first watched the trailer … a real, major Hollywood film (directed by Taiwan’s very own Ang Lee, no less!) about homosexuality!!! Oh my gaaawwd! It looks really fantastic! I wonder if they’ll show it in Taiwan … but since it’s directed by Ang Lee, I don’t see how they couldn’t … but then again, it looks like it was released in the States back in September. It would really suck if they didn’t show it here. I think this kind of story could really touch people, whether Westerners or Taiwanese.

I had just been thinking recently how it was time for a real, serious, BIG Hollywood movie about gay love, and not just small-scale artsy stuff that usually doesn’t get noticed (like “Get Real” or “Trick”). It’s about f’ing time!

Here’s the site for the trailer:

brokebackmountainmovie.com/

There’s also more info at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com):

imdb.com/title/tt0388795/

Is this an adaptation of the E. Annie Proulx short story? If so, I have a copy. It is a wonderful story even if you’re not interested in the subject matter.

It is from that story, Sandman. Good luck in trying to have a serious discussion about it, though. All most people can do, I find, is make jokes about it. Very disappointing.

It’s far too long since I read the story for me to remember enough about it to discuss it (although I gotta say, I remember the dirty bits pretty well! :wink: ). I just really love her writing style and found it interesting the way in which she was able to flesh out the characters and make their relationship so convincing (at least to a straight man – others here will have more insight into whether they’re actually convincing or not). I will definitely be looking out for that one if its released here.
So the jokes are along the lines of gay cowboys, I would suppose? Yawn.

Are you for real? You mean someone else has actually heard of this? I have a copy on DVD. It’s a damn good film – kind of like a gay Gregory’s Girl.

Are you for real? You mean someone else has actually heard of this? I have a copy on DVD. It’s a damn good film – kind of like a gay Gregory’s Girl.[/quote]

Yeah, I love that movie too! The first time I saw it was in a really, really tiny theater in Cincinnatti years ago with my “girlfriend” at the time … very sweet movie … although I haven’t seen it here, unfortunately.