New in Taiwan: is there any body out there?

Hi, I’m new in town (Chinsway):spelling is crap. Don’t know chiniese. I need to meet up with a few people. The nightlife in Chinsway is crap! Help me please.

Where ?!

Ching Shui Township, Taichung County. Right?

There are a number of Taichunger’s on the boards.

Ching Shui was the first place I lived in when I first moved to Taiwan. It was a sleepy little town in 1988, probably hasn’t changed much. I used to get on the bus to Feng Yuan or Taichung when I wanted to have some fun. There is also Dung Hai University (Baogao’s alma mater, I believe) nearby. Should be some kind of nightlife there.

Good luck.

T.

Poor chad … a name on everybody’s lips during the last US presidential election, and is now relegated to living in a place called “Chinsway” on some godforsaken island in the pacific ocean. How sad. Advice: Get on a bus headed for Tye-pay City.

" Poor chad… a name on everybody’s lips during the last US presidential election…" WHAT are you on about!!! I’m not American so I don’t know what you are trying to say. Ching Shui (thanks Tomas) is a nice place in the day, the nights are boring, so give me usefull advice.

Think he’s reffering to those chads on the voting thingys in florida. You know the “hanging chad” or sumptin likes that.

[quote]…so give me usefull advice.[/quote] – Chad

Come on son, either end the sentence with “please” or “goddamit!”

Monkey boy is not far wrong. If you crave something more than the sound of crickets, getting faced at a KTV with Chinese who only speak Taiwanese or cruising with the “cool” high schoolers, Taipei is the place to be.
There is much to recommend about country life, however. A gentlemen I knew who used to live in Puli became an accomplished speaker of Mandarin and skilled in the art of tai chi and chi gong (particularly the sexual side of that discipline – so he said).
I don’t know how you ended up there (surely you must have researched the area first to realize what it was going to be like?), but since you are there (probably teaching English to a bunch of kiddies), enjoy the solitude.
Fingerpainting, whittling and paper-cutting are fine ways to pass the time. One day you’ll look back on the peace and quiet and call this the “good old days.”

It would be nice, Wolf, if even once you could reply to a letter in a
halfway friendly way without criticizing someone. Give this kid a
break. He is new and asking for help. Shouldn’t this forum be
about helping the newcomers learn how to live in Taiwan instead of
just insulting them?!?!!?

Hey wolffie, I had no choice I was posted here. But don’t worry, with the advice Tomas gave me I hopped on a bus and discoverd Taichung city. The rent here is durt cheap, so I think I’ll stay. Plus there are a bunch of Canadian chicks here that aren’t getting any! I’ll first have to rectify that problem. I’ll check out Taipei on the next contract, maybe, it all depends on how things shape up this side. Now could some body tell me about cool hang outs in Taichung, please or goddamit, which ever you like.

Thanx.

There are advantages to having a curmudgeon on the boards as well though…

How do people end up in these out of the way places ? I can see how someone tired of Taipei would want to move to the country, but the only possible solution to this problem here is to move to the city.

Who’s Baogao?

Seriously, though, the city has grown up around Tunghai U in recent years, so it’s probably a lot more entertaining than when I was there. Enjoy the emptiness, though, and the views on clear days of the sea and the city at night. Shalu has a half-decent park, if I remember correctly, and the old Japanese bunkers on the top of Da Du Shan are interesting to explore (in groups) as well.

For nightlife head onto Taichung. FM is popular now with foreigners especially Saturday nights. Also Tropics, Riverside, Napoli, O’Changs (in Dong hai). Late nights there is the Lion King, Pig Pen and Soundgarden within 50 meters of each other.

Move to Taichung and commute out to Chingshui. You might consider the Tung Hai area as it’s between both, and more cosmopolitan than Chingshui, but the garbage fires and packs of stray dogs are annoying at night. There must be 10000 laowai living in Taichung.

Pi say.

Poagao (apparently, I drink too much beer, so I had to edit this one again. Thank God for idiotic moments that keep me humble.)

Buy you a beer at a non-Irish pub as compensation? :smiley:

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Poagao”]
Who’s Baogao?

[/quote]

Pi say.
Paogao.

Buy you a beer at a non-Irish pub as compensation? :smiley:[/quote]

Might want to check the spelling one more time. I don’t like beer, but if I did you’d have to buy me more than one, it seems.

I remember the unique smell of garbage burning up around Tunghai’s Bieshu area. Ah, the memories. I really should get down there again to have a look around.

[quote=“TongueTwister”]It would be nice, Wolf, if even once you could reply to a letter in a
halfway friendly way without criticizing someone. Give this kid a
break. He is new and asking for help. Shouldn’t this forum be
about helping the newcomers learn how to live in Taiwan instead of
just insulting them?!?!!?[/quote]

Actually, I thought Wolf’s posting was rather constructive and gruffly well-meaning in his own inimitable lupine way.