New in Tapei in 2007

So coming back for a bit since being away for awhile. What’s all new and shiny to Taipei during 2007? Neihu extension done yet? Finished tearing down and building up a new electronics market (name escapes me at the moment)? Heard Alleycats has gone expansion crazy and the Maokong cable car is up and running for those will to risk dangling for hours on end when the safety breaker throws :bouncy:. Anything else worth updating myself to or enjoying in/around Taipei?

Man, nothing? Nobody even knows if Neihu MRT is complete? Not even a “well, I had a neighbour move in who likes to wash grannie’s underwear infront of our window at 8pm while complaining about the stock market” :rainbow:

Welcome back and just watch the boards. This people here are always posting about stuff going on around town. Try catching a HH or Sandman’s band when they play… :smiley:

The Neihu MRT line is expected to open in June 2009. They have now finished the major construction work though.

Guanghua is all torn down. They have a new place, but I don’t know if it’s permanent or temporary.

Just read on the news a few days ago that on a test run some legislators were complaining that the Neihu MRT cars were too small? Ya, right, good time to complain? haha. Bombardier is handling the new section and also revamping the old french trains to work with their system. Quite a project for Bombardier, to update the french cars and the french designed part of the Neihu-MUzha line to work with their portion. Lets hope it alll works well?? Keep your fingers crossed.

“Integrating the french system into” anything never works out well. Ask ESA or Airbus.

I always wondered why they chose to continue the existing rubber tire tech on into Neihu, when that line is already beyond capacity for large parts of day, instead of using the other current technology and having a transfer station somewhere, or even better carry over to Danshui/Xindian line so that Danshui-Neihu commuters don’t have to go all the way down and around. Extending the existing just means even more ppl will have to try to squeeze into those tiny cars. Or maybe the system actually has room to push more cars/hr throughput? Don’t think they’re extending any platforms, so it’s either that or Bombardier ramping up the voltage to get the cars to accelerate quicker or some method of increasing speed.

I have a feeling it was more a sign first ask angry questions later typical setup.

[quote=“Freakin’ Amazing”]“Integrating the french system into” anything never works out well. Ask ESA or Airbus.

I always wondered why they chose to continue the existing rubber tire tech on into Neihu, when that line is already beyond capacity for large parts of day, instead of using the other current technology and having a transfer station somewhere, or even better carry over to Danshui/Xindian line so that Danshui-Neihu commuters don’t have to go all the way down and around. Extending the existing just means even more people will have to try to squeeze into those tiny cars. Or maybe the system actually has room to push more cars/hr throughput? Don’t think they’re extending any platforms, so it’s either that or Bombardier ramping up the voltage to get the cars to accelerate quicker or some method of increasing speed.

I have a feeling it was more a sign first ask angry questions later typical setup.[/quote]
There was a big debate on which system to make. It came down to the underground system would have taken about three years longer to construct. I think they made the wrong decision.