New Income Requirements for APRC Applicants (Aug. 2008)

They don’t care. They are bureaucrats. Their main goal is to make sure they don’t give out too many APRCs, not to help you get one. Anyway, you will need to make many trips and there will at least several times when they send you around town to find some piece of paper. It’s worth it when you get the APRC though.

Guys, you know the white receipt thinghy they give you to do your taxes? That’s the one they are asking for, not the blue one on top of this page. We present the one directly from our employers, a Salary Certificate or a Withholding and Non Withholding tax statement. Tax office stuff is not needed anymore- they say they’ll get it themselves, now that NIA and taxes are fully interconnected.

My paper says Withholding and Non Withholding tax statement.

I asked them to do it sooner for me, but actually, they presented all of us with teh same stuff a couple days later. Maybe you gusy can ask your own companies or get some sort of slaary disclosure.

This is too right. I had to try and chase down a copy of a work permit from when I first arrived (well outside the 7 yr time frame that was in place at the time, btw) from the Taipei County records office. The office just happened to be relocating at the time…all the records were still in the old building, while all the employees were in the new building. No way to get a copy. I explained this to the NIA officer handling my application on two occasions, both times with him saying it was impossible. Then I had a Taiwanese friend call him to relate the situation again and all of a sudden it was believable.

Be patient; there may be hurdles, but you can get through them with some perseverance.

[quote=“Icon”]Guys, you know the white receipt thinghy they give you to do your taxes? That’s the one they are asking for, not the blue one on top of this page. We present the one directly from our employers, a Salary Certificate or a Withholding and Non Withholding tax statement. Tax office stuff is not needed anymore- they say they’ll get it themselves, now that NIA and taxes are fully interconnected.

My paper says Withholding and Non Withholding tax statement.

I asked them to do it sooner for me, but actually, they presented all of us with teh same stuff a couple days later. Maybe you gusy can ask your own companies or get some sort of slaary disclosure.[/quote]Icon, excellent information. :bravo: Now, as long as Raja can push his company to give him his white income / tax withholding certificate in a timely manner, he should be all set!

I don’t mean to be Mr. Doom and gloom all the time, I just tend to quote procedures by the book. Anyway, “Hey, here is Taiwan” and there are always work arounds. Once, I took a friend to the Danshui tax office in mid May on the day he filed his taxes and after they gave him a receipt, we asked the clerk for one of the official blue tax printouts to submit with his APRC application. The clerk said that it would take at least 3~4 weeks before it could be verified, input into the system and then give us a print out. We smiled really nicely and sweet talked her into doing the official blue form by manually inputting the data, and doing a manual print out. Worked like a charm, NIA accepted it, and my friend got his APRC. :sunglasses:

That’s cool North Coast…I’d prefer to know exactly what it is by the book and I also appreciate U sharing ur info . No matter the out come it’s great ,nice to know there is some kind of support and open sharing here.

I called the Ban ciao office this morning actually…but i was in such a flap I f***king asked about the wrong thing …I asked about the blue form and of course was told…not needed anymore…and I was like great… :discodance:

Then put the phone down and then came back to this thread and the it suddenly dawned on me I’d asked about the wrong form…sugar !!

Anyway I tried calling again but they had blocked all incoming calls…so I gave up and I have written to Nicole ( 2nd row) to clarify this hiccup.

I really dont believe this money making scheme is only limited to half the year…Taiwanese are far too clever for that to happen…6 months without possible income via applications…I would like to bet I can still apply…thinking about it , it really doesnt make sense. Im probably seeing it the wrong way guys Im not a business man…ok.

Having said that I also appreciate the info regarding the W&NonWTS form and the annual year being at odds with the fiscal year so to speak , which was fortunately pointed out by North Coast in the orginal post .

I asked my boss today if the accountant can do the 2009 Withholding & Non Withholding Tax Statement(W&NonWTS)2009… (what a fcuking crap name man , who the hell thought of that or translated that for them…blimey guv talk about being long winded it is a ridiculous name for a tax form ,at least have it abbreviated :ohreally:

Anyway the casual bordering nonchalant affirmation I got from my boss when I asked him if the accountant can get the W&NonWTS form combined with me running a fever has let me slip into the feeling that it’ll be all ok and knowing Im not the only one who has treaded this convoluted pain in the ass journey plus all your words of support guys and hearing your experiences & views and ideas has helped alot :slight_smile: …Im sure it’ll be alright on the night :liar:

I’ll let u know what happens :astonished:

I’ve just been down to the Banqiao office to check if I’m eligible for an APRC and spoke to Miss Zhou, who said the blue 2008 tax form was needed, because the 2009 one hadn’t come out yet. I would assume, since you need the 2008 withholding statement to get that, that there’s no need to have the 2009 withholding tax form. I was in a rush and forgot to ask a whole lot of other questions, but she did, definitely say 2008 - ok.

The new instructions say:

1. Financial assets *Choose one option of the following (A) or (B) )

(A) Salary Certificate or Withholding & Non/Withholding Tax Statement showing the average income for each month for the last one year is twice as much as basic wage (NT$ 34,560/per month) set by Council of Labor Affairs of Executive Yuan

(B) The property evaluation was more than 5 million dollars
a. Certificate showing Account Balance for the last one year> this certificate is valid within one month of the issue date.
b. Real Estate Appraisal Report issued by the Ministry of Economic Affairs> copies of company’s licence etc…

Yes, when I handed Ms. Zhou my Withholding whatchamacalit for this year she was surprised, as most are not out. She may be accepting the blue form for 2008 as she knows that the 2009 is not out yet, or that many are not aware of the change. She had especifically explained to me that the tax stuff was not required anymore as they have linked the info and can get it themselves now.

[quote=“Icon”]The new instructions say:

1. Financial assets *Choose one option of the following (A) or (B) )

(A) Salary Certificate or Withholding & Non/Withholding Tax Statement showing the average income for each month for the last one year is twice as much as basic wage (NT$ 34,560/per month) set by Council of Labor Affairs of Executive Yuan

(B) The property evaluation was more than 5 million dollars
a. Certificate showing Account Balance for the last one year> this certificate is valid within one month of the issue date.
b. Real Estate Appraisal Report issued by the Ministry of Economic Affairs> copies of company’s licence etc…

Yes, when I handed Ms. Zhou my Withholding whatchamacalit for this year she was surprised, as most are not out. She may be accepting the blue form for 2008 as she knows that the 2009 is not out yet, or that many are not aware of the change. She had especifically explained to me that the tax stuff was not required anymore as they have linked the info and can get it themselves now.[/quote]Nicely done, Icon! Things change a lot and they change often. It’s good to have people like you keeping up on it! :bravo:

Yes ur spot on Icon…I got told to stop worrying so much…hahhaa…She is great Nicole !

So yes either 2008 or 2009 W&NWTS will be fine .

I have to stand corrected I found out that the fiscal year and annual year are now in sync . So actually U can get your 2009 . I got my boss to call his accountant and they said first week of Feb( due to being so busy), I’ll get it or both 2008 & 2009 .

So Im done basically…just do my health check and some new bling bling photos and just wait for the CCRD to come over . I know this is in the wrong thread but does anyone know a place to get the translation of the CCRD notorized near Yungho //.Banciao…??

Yep, they are actually really nice over there. :smiley:

Remember the copies of all your passports, all used up pages, plus the yellow form we fill out when we arrive at the airport. BTW, you have to sign each copied page. Enjoy!

Don’t freak out just yet. I did my taxes from 2008 excessively late… like this January. :slight_smile: SO I had the place to myself. I told the woman my plans to apply for my APRC this year and asked her how long it would take me to get my certificate to prove my taxes for my APRC. She said it would be printed to me and handed to me the same day I filed my taxes (as my 2008 one was that day) and she knew what I was talking about.

My question is, I reach my 5 year milestone on May 26th but I believe my current ARC expires on June 30th or so. I’m nice and pregnant right now so I’ll be leaving work sometime around when my bundle is due to arrive (mid-april). From the website I posted earlier they say it takes 60 days to process the APRC (I’m assuming this means that everything is in order re: tax proof, criminal check, etc etc) but is this like the ARC where if everything is underway and being processed I’m good? Or will I definitely have to get my ARC renewed in order to give me time for their 60 day processing.

Hope my question makes sense. I’m actually desperate to never deal with my school again once I get my APRC. I’ve put 4 years in for noooooooooooooottttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. I’m told I’m a good teacher but then they expect me to deal with the most ridiculous crap because of that. Ugh don’t get me started.

They say 60 days, but mine took only 28. Dunno, the agent handling your application will be able to help you with that question.

Thanks! I’m going to go in to talk to them soon. Ugh so discourged over how difficult the RCMP has to make the fingerprint process though. Really hope that doesn’t take the 120 stated days either!!!

I had got my APRC in 05 and it took me @ 20 - 25 days to get all the documents in order but once I submitted everything to the now obsolete foreign affairs police dept ( or whatever it was called ) i got a registered letter in like 10 days saying I can come and pick up my APRC…

shimi i think at the time of application u tell them the expiry date of your ARC… I remember a friend of mine was in a similar situation and they told him " As long as you have the receipt showing you have paid the fees for APRC application you do not have a problem…even if there is a problem the police or whoever can cross check with us and we have your file on record so don’t worry"…of course as we alll know the information changes faster than the weather in Taipei so it is best to check, re-check, double check, counter check…

There is a guy on here who goes by the handle Motorcycle Rider who started a thread about how to shave some time off of that. Suggest you look it up. :wink:

Great tips! Thanks guys. Yea I think that motorcycle guy thread was probably mine from before :slight_smile:

The RCMP website is contradicting what he said but I’m going to try anyway.

Hi Shini, congrats on the ability to get an APRC and also the new child. Just a note, unless your partner is an ROC national your child will not be covered by the NHI until after 4 months of living in Taiwan. The rule is that all new arrivals must wait 4 months to get NHI. that includes Tainese who move abroad and then move back who have not been paying NHI and to all others, including non ROC children.

So any costs related to the birth are not covered by the NHI. I hope you have some other private medical insurance. Another expat couple owe a few million in medical bills after their child was born with serious medical conditions and they assumed the NHI would pick up the tab.

My son went to live in Australia for awhile and he had to wait 4 months to be covered by NHI after he returned

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Hi Shini, congrats on the ability to get an APRC and also the new child. Just a note, unless your partner is an ROC national your child will not be covered by the NHI until after 4 months of living in Taiwan. The rule is that all new arrivals must wait 4 months to get NHI. that includes Tainese who move abroad and then move back who have not been paying NHI and to all others, including non ROC children.

So any costs related to the birth are not covered by the NHI. I hope you have some other private medical insurance. Another expat couple owe a few million in medical bills after their child was born with serious medical conditions and they assumed the NHI would pick up the tab.
[/quote]

This is a very good point. Good work, Sat TV. As an option, there is a gentleman who posts on here by the handle of Edgar Allen who can point you in the right direction for private insurance for the delivery and the interim after your baby arrives until NHI kicks in, should you decide to have the baby here and don’t have a partner who is an ROC national.

Thanks for the warning. I’m one of the rare girls with a Taiwanese fella though so I’m ok :slight_smile:

I have a pregnant american friend who’s pretty worried about it though. I guess the options (private insurance) are not very cheap.

It seems cruel and intentional on part of the government. I love that we can all pay taxes but the benefits do not apply to everyone.

I heard recently about a westerner who lost a leg and wanted to apply for disability (I believe he’s married to a Taiwanese woman). He found out that they will only give disability to Taiwanese and Japanese (?!?!) citizens.

[quote=“shini”]Thanks for the warning. I’m one of the rare girls with a Taiwanese fella though so I’m ok :slight_smile:

I have a pregnant American friend who’s pretty worried about it though. I guess the options (private insurance) are not very cheap.

It seems cruel and intentional on part of the government. I love that we can all pay taxes but the benefits do not apply to everyone.

I heard recently about a westerner who lost a leg and wanted to apply for disability (I believe he’s married to a Taiwanese woman). He found out that they will only give disability to Taiwanese and Japanese (?!?!) citizens.[/quote]

Well even in the USA people need private medical insurance. I have private insurance and NHI ( what happens if I suffer serious injuries from my work, I have already been electrocuted and had a rooft structure fail and fallen a few floors. ), but then again I am Taiwanese so not an issue for me if I have more children here. Please note the waiting policy also applies to ROC Nationals who move back from living overseas.

Many governments have waiting periods for acces to NHI type schemes. The reason is that a Taiwenese living abroad not contributing here should not just flit back for some free NHI services. Lucky for you your child will also be an ROC national at birth so covered by the NHI as long as your NHI is paid up, and your husbands too.

I also have to pay the labour insurance and the retirement insurance as well, but thats always a good thing.