New ipod shuffle

gotta get one

apple.com/ipodshuffle/

I like it, but it looks very similar to this one from japan. (found about a month ago, est cost US$26)

sunconnection.jp/product/scmp001w/index.html

How suspicious.
But does it have a clip?

and the one from japan looks nothing like a trimmed shuffle? obviously the japanese one is the copy and was released earlier

Obviously the Japanese one looks like a shuffle clone/ripoff. What I find interesting is that Apple was beat to the market by a smaller company. Apple’s legal team will probably go after this company anyway and we will never see it. It’s also interesting to note that Apple’s summer long “buy a mac, get a free ipod” student deal expires tomorrow. Only a handful of students will get the new ipods. I’m sure many that bought into the deal earlier will be disappointed. Apple most likely used this as a way to dump old stock.

I noticed the MS Zune was announced today. 30GB, made by Toshiba, built-in wireless and FM radio. Retails for $249. Kind of ugly/funky looking. They need to hire some Apple hardware designers or at least look at applele to get design ideas.

[quote=“4nr”]
I noticed the MS Zune was announced today. 30GB, made by Toshiba, built-in wireless and FM radio. Retails for $249. Kind of ugly/funky looking. They need to hire some Apple hardware designers or at least look at applele to get design ideas.[/quote]

Design is kind of tricky. Consider people with lots of design experience in industrial, automotive, or furniture. They can still make products not too attractive. :slight_smile:

Like one of the most prestigious design companies, IDEO, which made the first mass produced mouse (for Apple) and the Palm V isn’t always has great has it has been. At least they made an interesting NEC monitor that seems to have influenced the design of the new Apple displays. When I saw it’s stand, I thought that’s how stands should be. And that’s how Apple’s monitors ended up.

I know what you are saying about design, Gary. Not every product is natural winner like the ipod, imac, palm V, nokia 8210, etc.

The Zune seems to have a lot going for it, but the design looks blah… It is no where near as nice as a ipod. For all the thought and $ MS puts into their designs (both hardware and software), they consistantly miss the boat. It seems the one key person MS needs is Apple’s Johathan Ives. His talent is worth the price of 100 MS design engineers. They should offer him $10m to jump ship.

Interesting that you mention IDEO, I met the vp and co-founder a few years ago and had several very interesting design discussions with them. I was trying to get them to design our next gen smartphone. I think one of the problems with many design companies is that the really talented people (that define the creative ability of the company) will either burn out or move on unless you offer them some type of mgmt/partnership.

Add this cool, made in Taiwan, pixel design link: lovepixel

[quote=“4nr”]… For all the thought and $ MS puts into their designs (both hardware and software), they consistantly miss the boat. It seems the one key person MS needs is Apple’s Johathan Ives. His talent is worth the price of 100 MS design engineers. They should offer him $10m to jump ship.

Interesting that you mention IDEO, I met the vp and co-founder a few years ago and had several very interesting design discussions with them. I was trying to get them to design our next gen smartphone. I think one of the problems with many design companies is that the really talented people (that define the creative ability of the company) will either burn out or move on unless you offer them some type of mgmt/partnership.
[/quote]

The problem is Bill Gates doesn’t understand people. For a company to always produce designed products, the leaders need an obsession for design, and it needs to be taught to everyone. No matter how talented a design company you hire, you won’t get close to the results of people who spend decades on the same thing. Sure you can have a one off success. But imagine what a talented group of artists could achieve after thinking about a problem for decades. Herman Miller is the only other company I can think of that designs.

You can find blogs that talk bout Bill Gate’s and Steve Job’s presentation. Bill’s presentations are horribly complex and poorly designed with bad graphics and colors. Steve makes simple presentations; even the way he speaks is exceptionally skilled. He knows how to seduce his audience.

Since they make hardware and software, Apple controls the entire computing experience. They think about every single aspect of it.

Ives is surely worth more than $10 mil. :slight_smile: Imagine having him for decades. Plus Ives has Steve. Steve has understand and cared about design from the beginning. Even with the original Mac, when he was talking about it with people, they were surprised of his knowledge of industrial design lingo. Steve has been a mentor to Ives and has helped him develop his talent more than possibly anyone else could have.

Does the Shuffle do the SD Card thing like the Japanese one?
It looks like a major advantage, not to mention is 1/3 the price of the Shuffle.