New iTunes v. won't charge my iPod!

So I usually avoid updating my iTunes (in Windows) because it always makes a problem, but it’s really been a while, so I finally did, to 7.0.2.16, and, sure enough, like clockwork, I get fucked.
Now my iPod won’t charge when I connect it by the USB cable.
Irrespective of the settings in iTunes.
Fully half the time, iTunes won’t even detect the Pod when it’s connected, and I have to manually unplug it and then plug it back in a couple of times.
So now, I have to keep the USB connection for updates, AND keep the Firewire cable hooked up to the power so I can charge.
I love Apple stuff, but it sure is a pain in the ASS dealing with its Windows (im)compatibility.

Did you check the flux capacitor?

(smelltheglove is back and I hear he is good at macstuff)

[quote=“jdsmith”]Did you check the flux capacitor?

[/quote]

Beat it, Future Boy.

Did you also update the ipod firmware?

He said beat it. Can’t you take a hint? :unamused:

Si, I did.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“jdsmith”]Did you check the flux capacitor?

[/quote]

Beat it, Future Boy.[/quote]

Come on, man, that was your cue to do your famous Moonwalk/Crotch Grab combo, let’s see it!

Seems you’re not the only one having problems with this release:
geekzone.co.nz/juha/1308

… although these guys seem to be having other problems with it.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“jdsmith”]Did you check the flux capacitor?

[/quote]

Beat it, Future Boy.[/quote]

Come on, man, that was your cue to do your famous Moonwalk/Crotch Grab combo, let’s see it![/quote]

I’m just gonna make like a tree and get out of here.

Do you know what version of firmware you’ve got on the ipod now?

Edit, my bad, it’s all part of the same package now (didn’t used to be).

You might want to try backdating the firmware, but that’s up to you. Good list here: ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=7369

I hope this isn’t a silly question. But where is the USB hole ? Is it built in or is it on a hub ?
I wonder if this is a powered/unpowered USB question…

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I hope this isn’t a silly question. But where is the USB hole ? Is it built in or is it on a hub ?
I wonder if this is a powered/unpowered USB question…[/quote]

Sir, there are no silly questions, just bullshit software portings.
It is through a hub, BUT it’s a powered USB port, and has been charging fine through the same arrangement for more than 2 years, right up until the update.

Windows 2000, right? Service pack?

Edit: You could try putting it into disk mode. That seemed to sort out my recognition problems. And it should really be able to charge without the aid of iTunes.

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651
(how to stick it in disk mode)

A good idea would be to check the Apple Discussion forums. Or continue beating it. Either should fix your problems.

Yup. For my iPod Mini I have a little power adapter with a USB port on it for charging without even having a computer anywhere near at all. I’ve also charged it on my computer when the computer is off (my desktop powers the USB ports when off so you can power on with a USB keyboard’s power key), and on a powered hub not connected to a computer. And even the times when iTunes was tripping over its shoelaces, my iPod still managed to charge up. All this really makes me suspect there’s something wrong with your hub. Have you tried removing the hub and connecting the iPod directly to the computer? If that doesn’t help, try a reset which often clears up temporary firmware glitches:

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705