New License Plates and Bolts?

I saw this on several news channels on TV today. They reported that at the end of the year the government will be issuing new license plates with a new system. Instead of having Taipei City or Taipei County on the top, it will just be A and B, and then so on for the rest of Taiwan. The plates will also have a reflective coating like in other countries so that cops can make out your plate in the dark easier.

Now here’s the crazy thing. They will also issue special bolts to permanantly fix the plates on bikes. You will not be able take off the plate without damaging the bolt seal. Bikes without the special bolts will be pulled over and ticketed. They say it’s to prevent auto theft, by making it easier to identify stolen plates. Also, they say this will prevent fraud, bikes won’t be able to swap plates.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I knew that the Govt was planning on a plate update, but nothing about the bolts!..that’s strange!..I’ll check with some friends and see what I can dig up.!

That sucks,but if they build it we can take em off.

This would suck for MC riders with yellow tags who have two bikes(As a few people I know have )
or trying to protect your tags when you park them.

It’s a war between us (riders) and the DMW / lawmakers (read non-riders)
who make money from overtaxing us and making us jump through hoops.

:raspberry:

It’ll only be a threat to joyriders. The theft rings that are responsible for the majority of thefts will simply buy supplies of the bolts on the black market or from the cops, and will not be the slightest bit fazed.

hadn’t heard about the bolts either… wouldn’t be surprised at all though… any half witted, arse backwards plan that gives the ignorant cronies in govt. and the lazy, inept cops who do their bidding another reason to crack down on the softest targets available ie. bikes/scooters instead of any other form of crime sounds like par for the Taiwanese course…

wouldn’t worry about it too much though… like everything else it’ll be a big deal for the first week and it’ll be on every news channel, but after a month the cops and the punters in govt. won’t give a damn anymore… anyone notice how easy it is to get a free plastic bag anywhere except 7-11 these days… remember how gung ho they were about handing out bags when they started that little gem?..

anyway, like Bubba 2 Guns and Sandman said, there will be look alike fake bolts available within 24 hours of this new idea coming into effect, if it ever does… this is just another misguided, half cocked, plan for the peasants, by the peasants…

I wonder what the geniuses at the DMV think licence plates are bolted to? The fimament of the universe? So we’ll just get two of the little brackets they’re bolted to. Remember, these are the guys who limited our driving licences to the length of our ARCs.

I see a huge black market in yellow plates. And pray tell what happens if one was to fall off one’s bike and break ones bolts, so to speak?

Never a dull moment with the Taiwanese “government”, eh?

[quote=“plasmatron”]hadn’t heard about the bolts either… wouldn’t be surprised at all though… any half witted, arse backwards plan that gives the ignorant cronies in govt. and the lazy, inept cops who do their bidding another reason to crack down on the softest targets available ie. bikes/scooters instead of any other form of crime sounds like par for the Taiwanese course…

wouldn’t worry about it too much though… like everything else it’ll be a big deal for the first week and it’ll be on every news channel, but after a month the cops and the punters in govt. won’t give a damn anymore… anyone notice how easy it is to get a free plastic bag anywhere except 7-11 these days… remember how gung ho they were about handing out bags when they started that little gem?..

anyway, like Bubba 2 Guns and Sandman said, there will be look alike fake bolts available within 24 hours of this new idea coming into effect, if it ever does… this is just another misguided, half cocked, plan for the peasants, by the peasants…[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: I love all of plasmatrons posts…you should submit some of your stuff to the papers. They published my “Police in Taiwan” article…and it’s not half as good as your stuff.

Any word on what I need to do to get my tax rebate?